VAG_COM or Torque Pro?

juniormarbles

An independent VW mechanic used VAGCOM/VCDS software on his laptop to turn off my xenons as DRLs (this was on a MKV Jetta GLI), then programmed the fog lights as DRLs.

Would a Scantool/Bluetooth dongle + TorquePro app allow me to execute custom functions like that, and program my key-fob for all windows up/down or delete seatbelt chime and other convenience settings not otherwise accessible (he did all that with his VAGCOM)?
Or are any of these custom functions only available by using a Rosstech/VAGCOM?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I have VCDS and Torque

VCDS (VAGCOM) is the only supported legit tool (other than dealer software) that will allow you do do the programming / coding operations you describe.

Torque is a useful tool, but does not get into anything more than what is available to scan with OBDII. It will scan and display OBDII data, but will not get into any higher functions.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I'll second Windex' comment, as I also have both tools.
Torque is something that I use to monitor the car's behavior on the road, but VCDS is where all the tuning and adjustment goes on, as well as in depth diagnosis.

juniormarbles

Thank you both. Now I understand clearly what tool is necessary to customize functions.

But it's a royal pain having to buy a windows computer (I never liked them) AND the software. It would be so much more convenient if RossTech would finally offer a Mac-compatible version of its VAGCOM, or at least an Android or IOS version.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
VCDS does not require much computing horsepower - The functionality of VCDS will quickly overcome any disdain you have for windows. Just buy a cheap-as-dirt surplus windows XP or Win7 laptop, install VCDS and use it for nothing else.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Thank you both. Now I understand clearly what tool is necessary to customize functions.

But it's a royal pain having to buy a windows computer (I never liked them) AND the software. It would be so much more convenient if RossTech would finally offer a Mac-compatible version of its VAGCOM, or at least an Android or IOS version.
Vag Com software can be run on your mac if you set it up with a virtual windows desktop; here are some instructions on how to do that

https://www.theverge.com/2015/7/29/9058825/windows-10-macbook-how-to-install-osx

Best of luck ;)

juniormarbles

Cool, thanks. I can install bootcamp on my Mac to run Windows 10

The next question: where do I buy VAGCOM software compatible with Windows 10? Is there a reliable used market for this, like eBay? I'd like to avoid buying an illegal or unauthorized copy.
Or must I buy new from Rosstech?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
You do not even need a "Full" size laptop. I use an 11" screen netbook running Windows XP-Pro. This is for absolutely no other purpose. Therefore no anti virus either since I do not connect to the internet with it ever!

Those things are dirt cheap now!

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
The next question: where do I buy VAGCOM software compatible with Windows 10? Is there a reliable used market for this, like eBay? I'd like to avoid buying an illegal or unauthorized copy.
Or must I buy new from Rosstech?
You'll occasionally see various VCDS cables in the Sale/Wanted section here, but otherwise, I'd probably buy direct from Ross-Tech.

Even if you buy a legit cable used, you don't get the full support that they offer if you're having issues with it, but for most of us it's not an issue, and you can find loads of help here in the forum and the Ross-Tech wiki. It's just their direct support that is only available to the registered owner.

As to Windows 10, I'd look at Ross-Tech.com to see if the software is even supported under Win10 yet. I'm using a Win7 laptop that spends the large majority of it's time running Ubuntu, only running Windows for VCDS.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
juniormarbles, the way Ross-Tech works (Vag-Com) is the software is downloaded free from the internet. What you have to purchase is a verified cable to use the software on your device. You don't need a fancy laptop to run VCDS. Yes, the software does support Windows 10, it even supports the 64 bit version that I run on my laptop.
I also have both VCDS and Torque Pro, and VCDS is really the required software that is needed for our ALH's.

Last edited:

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
I run VCDS on my Win10 Microsoft Surface Pro3; works perfectly.

As stated above the software is free, the "license" to access the features of the software is in the cable itself.

juniormarbles

Thank you all for super-informative posts. I have my marching orders now: a Windows 10- equipped minimalist notebook, and a Ross Tech cable, preferably bought directly from them, so I can update/get support.
JM

Beaker80

TDI
2006 Golf TDI Manual
What about OBDeleven? It "seems" to do all the things VAGCOM does and is much cheaper. I understand the "credits" system that's required to buy "one-time apps" of mods. For someone who's only looking to do a couple of mods OBDeleven seems like a good deal. I've just recently started to look into this so if someone who has used OBDeleven and/or VAGCOM could chime in it would be appreciated.