Vag-Tacho Key Issue

dpain250

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
Hey, I got a vag-tacho cable and some keys cut now i'm just trying to do the chipping inside the keys. Using Vag-Tacho 3.01 I can connect to my dash and get my PIN, but when it comes to learning the new keys, I get the error

Command not accepted!
The Key is not accepted, or can not be read!

It doesn't even get to the point where it directs me to switch the keys out,
does anybody have a clue what could be happening?

Thanks

rwtags

Veteran Member
TDI
VW 2000 Beetle
dpain250 said:
Hey, I got a vag-tacho cable and some keys cut now i'm just trying to do the chipping inside the keys. Using Vag-Tacho 3.01 I can connect to my dash and get my PIN, but when it comes to learning the new keys, I get the error

Command not accepted!

It doesn't even get to the point where it directs me to switch the keys out,
does anybody have a clue what could be happening?

Thanks
you have the right key, what car year? it might not be picking up the RF in the chip because its the wrong one for your car. YOu have to have the right RF chip for the IMMO to read it

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Do you have a VCDS?

The best thing to do is to use the VAG-TACHO to retrieve the PIN/SKC needed for programming and then use VCDS to do the actual key mating.

VCDS can give you information such as if the key is suitable for matching, whether or not the cluster is locked out, etc..

The cluster being locked out may be the situation here. Immo3 clusters have a security lockout time to prevent brute-force attemps at discovering the SKC. If the SKC has been entered too many times incorrectly, the cluster will then be in lockout mode for a certain period of time. Each additional attempt during this time will increase the lockout timer. You must turn the ignition on with the key and leave it on until the lockout timer expires. If you don't have a VCDS to read the lockout timer, I think the highest timeout is 240 minutes, which translates into 4 hours. So leaving the key in the ignition and the ignition on for 4 hours should clear the lockout timer if one exists. You may need to leave a trickle charger connected to keep the voltage up during this excercise.

dpain250

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
Hi dzcad90, no, I only have vag-tacho, hmm it looks like I may just need to get someone with VCDS in the San Diego area to help me out with this one. But the thing is that i never entered the number incorrectly, it has been giving me the same error from the first time. The thing that interests me is that it is saying the "key is not accepted, or can not be read" thats kind of weird since i bought this
http://www.autotransponder.com/2002_VOLKSWAGEN_GOLF_keys_and_Keyless_entry_remotes

for my 02 golf, im pretty sure thats the right one? I'll try the whole process again and copy the entire output, maybe that will help more

dpain250

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
All the while the immo light is blinking, does that mean anything?
this is the output until error
Connecting VDO New...
OK
1J0920906L KOMBI+WEGFAHRSP VDO V07
Check for VDO tacho...
Tacho is VDO! Try to log in... Please wait!
Software Version: VWK501LL
Password: 3
Check for Seed-Key...
Please Wait....trying to calculate Key
Seed-key mode: 01
Seed-Key OK !
Access GRANTED!
PIN CODE OK!
Selected channel: 21
Number of Old Keys: 03
Command not accepted!

The value 2228 was entered along with # of keys to be programmed =1, channel 21, and erase old keys unchecked, any help would be awesome!

Steve99

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI, 04 R32
You will need to check the "erase keys" box and enter the total number of keys you have, then reprogram all of them at once. Assuming you get to the next step VagTacho will have you press the disconnect button and then remove the first key and insert the next key, turn the ignition to run until the immobilizer dash icon goes out then do the same with the next key(s) until done.

dpain250

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
Steve,
This is the output when i attempt checking erase keys
Seed-Key OK !
Access GRANTED!
PIN CODE OK!
Erasing OLD keys...
Command not accepted!
Command not accepted!

Any idea why its not accepting my commands??

Steve99

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI, 04 R32
That is pretty strange. I have never run into that error myself. I have only used VagTacho 2.5 though(and its a clone at that)

When you get the error does anything display on the cluster where the trip mileage is normally displayed like "Fail" ?
Its possible some timer has been activated and you will need to leave the car in the run position for some time.
Its also possible you have a cluster software version VagTacho isn't compatible with - that seems unlikely with a 2002 cluster though.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
"The Key is not accepted, or can not be read!"
This makes me believe the key has used chip,but it could be cluster locked.
Try to program only original key.if you don't get error, then chip in key is used and can not be adopt.
If it does same thing then you may have like steve99 said your cluster may be locked for some time.
The best thing is find someone with VCDS and go to measuring block 22 you can check is your keys can be adopt
and 24 you can see is it cluster lock out.
[Meas. Blocks - 08]
Group 022
[Go!]
The value in field 3 must be 1. If value is not 1, the key is not capable of being adapted to Immobilizer. You can check each key in this manner.

[Meas. Blocks - 08]
Group 024
[Go!]
Any numbers displayed in fields 1-4 represent the time in minutes that must be counted down before the Immobilizer is unlocked.
Make sure all fields are zero.
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/Immo3-measuring-blocks.html

Without VCDS it will be hard to said what is going on.

Last edited:

Shawnz

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS TDI, ex-O1M
Tacho

My Tacho cable was the same way. I'd call it downright flakey.

It was able to pull the PIN but I could not program the keys with it. Luckily I had a VCDS cable and was able to program my keys with that.

I recommend getting the real-deal cable, but I'm 99% sure the ebay cable and the older VAG-COM software will let you program keys.

cinnamondad

TDI
2003 Grey TDI
The Key is not accepted. or cannot be read.

I received the same message when using VagTacho 3.01 on my 2003 Jetta TDI. After trying it a dozen times or so, it finally got to the next step where it read the old key and ask to place the "next " key into the ignition to be programmed. But when I turned the ignition off to insert the new key it said "no connection to ecu" and never returned to connected state....it just sat there...finally I selected "connect to selected ecu" again and it wouldn't read the Key again...I shut the whole thing down in frustration but now I have the Key programming light flashing on the dash (the little car with the key under it) ALL THE TIME...the strange thing is that the new key act like the old key, they both will start the car and run but the key light on the dash always flashes!

Can anyone help with this?

cglasel

Same exact thing

Steve,
This is the output when i attempt checking erase keys
Seed-Key OK !
Access GRANTED!
PIN CODE OK!
Erasing OLD keys...
Command not accepted!
Command not accepted!

Any idea why its not accepting my commands??
I'm getting the exact same thing. Did you ever get it to work? I'm using Vag-Tacho 3.01 as supplied w/cable. Pulled code right off, but getting "The Key is not accepted, or can not be read!" as above.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
I received the same message when using VagTacho 3.01 on my 2003 Jettthe strange thing is that the new key act like the old key, they both will start the car and run but the key light on the dash always flashes!

Can anyone help with this?

Use a Ross-tech cable to do the programming, I guy I know was left stranded at the mall after programing with vagtacho.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
I had a locksmith with a genuine Vagtacho who was unable to adapt my new key. I had to do it myself with VCDS. You can always count on Ross-Tech!

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
They should say USE AT OWN RISK on all sales of the Tacho crap. the only thing it is good for is getting the codes to the cluster and then you may have to try it 1/2 dozen times. On my car it got the code right but cleared all the data on the cluster. Real Junk,

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
They should say USE AT OWN RISK on all sales of the Tacho crap. the only thing it is good for is getting the codes to the cluster and then you may have to try it 1/2 dozen times. On my car it got the code right but cleared all the data on the cluster. Real Junk,
It does warn you if you have original version:

Last edited:

soundguybob

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Passat Variant
Hey Guys, I'm having a similar issue programming a key to my W8 cluster. I have a new key with a new Immo chip in it, and vag-com is showing me that the key is able to be programmed, however I've had no luck with either vag-tacho 2.5 OR vag-com 311-2. I read the measuring blocks as listed on the ross tech link earlier in the post, and here's the results:

CH 22 - 0-0-1-0 (shows key is readable and able to be programmed)
CH 23 - 0-0-0-4 (shows "new or replacement part cluster, no matched/adapted)
CH 24 - 0-0-0-0 (shows no lockout time)

My concern is with CH 23 showing me that the cluster is a new or replacement part, and has not been matched or adapted. Of note, my car is a MY2000, and had no immo from the factory. I've fitted the W8 cluster from a MY2003. I have everything else working properly on the cluster. Any thoughts or ideas here? Am I stuck since the engine ECU does not have any Immo circuit in it? HELP! ;-)

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Hey Guys, I'm having a similar issue programming a key to my W8 cluster. I have a new key with a new Immo chip in it, and vag-com is showing me that the key is able to be programmed, however I've had no luck with either vag-tacho 2.5 OR vag-com 311-2. I read the measuring blocks as listed on the ross tech link earlier in the post, and here's the results:

CH 22 - 0-0-1-0 (shows key is readable and able to be programmed)
CH 23 - 0-0-0-4 (shows "new or replacement part cluster, no matched/adapted)
CH 24 - 0-0-0-0 (shows no lockout time)

My concern is with CH 23 showing me that the cluster is a new or replacement part, and has not been matched or adapted. Of note, my car is a MY2000, and had no immo from the factory. I've fitted the W8 cluster from a MY2003. I have everything else working properly on the cluster. Any thoughts or ideas here? Am I stuck since the engine ECU does not have any Immo circuit in it? HELP! ;-)
That cluster is in new mode and even if you have Immo in ECU key will not be possible to match till you adopt it to ECU.
But even if you have in mode 6 (fully adopted ) still you will not be adopt key in that car.Immo 3 cluster has to talk to ECU to be able to adopt keys.
Plus your car most likely does not have immo coil reader and wires install to cluster.
There is one option it can be done.
PM me for more info.

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
VDO clustes are good, RB8 motometer ones aren't. We use vag tacho for getting the immo code and doing things like lit needles and miles to empty but I always use vagcom to code the key.

As for clearing the cluster that's an option but vag tacho doesn't do it automatically, if it's a VDO cluster you can reset it and then put in the correct mileage etc but if it's an RB8 it's luck of the draw lol. It can also take upto 90 minutes to connect to the RB8 cluster so best to have the laptop hooked up to the mains.

There's some guys over here who can do the clusters on the bench but I haven't gotten that far yet.

HAA is just the type of blade isn't it? I know there's at least two different RF chips, can't remember the ins and outs but the info is on ukmivs website

soundguybob

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Passat Variant
That cluster is in new mode and even if you have Immo in ECU key will not be possible to match till you adopt it to ECU.
But even if you have in mode 6 (fully adopted ) still you will not be adopt key in that car.Immo 3 cluster has to talk to ECU to be able to adopt keys.
Plus your car most likely does not have immo coil reader and wires install to cluster.
There is one option it can be done.
PM me for more info.
PM'ing you in a moment... For the sake of this thread, I will say that I have installed a pickup coil and connected it to the cluster, as evidenced by vag-com showing that it can see the new immo chip on CH 23.

I've also fitted 1C0 CCM and window motors so that the doors show on the cluster, and I've connected the hood switch to the cluster as well. The only thing missing from the Immo setup is the ECU.

Also, I have a VDO cluster. Already programmed in miles to empty, needle and backlighting the way I like, welcome message (that I don't see because of the immo error message), and corrected the mileage for my car.

Last edited:

wmgeorge

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle GLS 1.9L TDI
So from what I am gathering using VAG Tacho 3.x (eBay version) is just best to get the SKU code and do the programming in VAG-COM?

Plan "B" if all I want to do is just "code" another key, is just use some black silicone sealer and glue a existing working Immobilizer chip next to the key.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Wm: If you're using the "Ebay" version of VagTacho (the stolen Chinese one) be very careful as the software may have a trojan horse in it that will steal keystrokes and send them back to its Chinese masters!

This is not speculation -- I fixed a laptop for someone who had this happen to them, and they had the little "mini-cd" that was provided, so I was able to isolate where the trojan that I removed came from.

wmgeorge

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle GLS 1.9L TDI
Wm: If you're using the "Ebay" version of VagTacho (the stolen Chinese one) be very careful as the software may have a trojan horse in it that will steal keystrokes and send them back to its Chinese masters!

This is not speculation -- I fixed a laptop for someone who had this happen to them, and they had the little "mini-cd" that was provided, so I was able to isolate where the trojan that I removed came from.
I think the safest way out is have my new remote done at the dealership and have my old one re-coded at the same time. Then keep the key and chip off my existing and put into a new remote body. That way I won't brick my car dash and screw up a new chip at the same time.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
I'm getting the exact same thing. Did you ever get it to work? I'm using Vag-Tacho 3.01 as supplied w/cable. Pulled code right off, but getting "The Key is not accepted, or can not be read!" as above.

Mine is the same. Never worked. Follow advice and use vag-com to program the keys.

Sebastian

Vendor
Amusing, you guys are using a pirated copy and are *****ing about it not working...

Just FYI, I never ran into issues with a legit VAGtacho that an email to kiti (the author) wouldn't solve. ;)