• The TDIClub classifieds section is a heavily trafficked section of the forum that encompasses want-to-buy (WTB) and for-sale (FS) threads for the entire world. Due to the demanding nature and fast pace of this section, it is imperative that you know and understand the rules. It is also important to remember that this is the only parts classifieds section.

Cross-posting and posting classifieds in the regional sections (except the dedicated thread in Ontario) is not permitted.

Multiple items should be sold in one thread. Make sure to provide a description for all items in your post along with pictures and prices. If you start multiple threads with individual items, they will be locked or combined at the discretion of the moderators.

Here is a quick outline of the classifieds section rules. If you don't follow these rules, you subject yourself to thread deletion, thread combination, infractions, or posting privilege revocation.

Thread titles:
    • Put FS or WTB in your thread title. This will let other users know if you are selling or buying.
    • Briefly describe what you are selling. Thread titles have limited space. Be as descriptive, yet succinct, as possible.
    • Put your location in the title.
    • If space allows, put your price in the title

Title example (single item): "FS: 2004 Mk4/BEW cylinder head - Portland, OR - $500"
    Title example (multiple items): "FS: MK6 fog lights, front bumper, headlights, grill - Detroit, MI"
    Title example (car part-out): "FS: Mk3 Jetta parting out engine & interior - Dallas, TX"

Thread text descriptions and pictures:
    • All for-sale threads must include pictures of the items that you are selling. One picture is sufficient, but multiple pictures with different angles will help buyers. A picture is worth a thousand words. If you don't know how to post pictures on TDIClub, see this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=286691
    • All for-sale threads must include a description. We don't charge per-word, so be as descriptive as possible. The more information you can provide, the easier it will be for buyers.
    • All for-sale threads must include a price. Auctions and bidding are not allowed. If you want to auction something off, use eBay.
    No picture, no price, NO SALE!

Thread maintenance/updates/bumps:
    • When you sell something, update your thread with "SOLD!" Moderators will close the thread and update the title.
    • If you have multiple items for sale, update your thread as each item has been sold. When everything has been sold, updated the thread with "ALL ITEMS SOLD!" Moderators will close the thread and update the title when all items have been sold.
    • If you bump your thread, please delete old bumps by clicking on EDIT and then deleting the old bump. This will reduce clutter in your thread and make it easier to read. It also makes you look less desperate.
    • If you drop your price, please update your first post in addition to posting the new price. If you would like the thread title changed, click on the report post icon and let a moderator know what you would like the title changed to.

Moderator intervention and infraction points:
    Moderators will be monitoring the classifieds section. If a moderator determines that you have not been following the rules listed above, corrections will be made and infraction points will be assessed to your account.

What is an infraction point? Simple - it's a system of keeping track of user behavior. A moderator can assign a point value based on the severity of the infraction, as well as an expiration date on the points assessed. If you accumulate a certain number of points, the system will auto-ban you for a predefined amount of time. The more points you accumulate, the longer your ban period will be.

One example of points is as follows: multiple threads will be combined into a single thread, with the number of infraction points assessed corresponding to the number of threads merged. If we merge four threads into one, then you will be assessed four points that expire in 30 days. When you reach five points, the system will auto-ban you for one day.*

*This is an example based on the current infraction system structure. We reserve the right to modify the infraction system at any time without notice or updates to this announcement.

Thank you for your cooperation, and good luck with your sales and searches! :)

-TDIClub Administration

Vag-tacho 2.5 Free Use (you Just Pay For Shipping From & Back To Me)

ofhs93

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 99.5, Silver
This is a very generous and usefull offer. I suggest this be transformed into sticky material ;)

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
ofhs93 said:
This is a very generous and usefull offer. I suggest this be transformed into sticky material ;)

i agree!!! this sounds more like a car club...

NFSTDI

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'98 Jetta
My point is that you got a steal, no matter how you look at it. I own a legit copy, not the most current one but close enough.

werdna

Veteran Member
An obscure corner of northeastern Massachusetts
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 2013 Touareg Sport, 2015 GSW
Any idea if the generic cable for the old versions of VAG-Tacho is the same as the generic cable that works with old versions of VAG-com? I'd be interested in taking you up on this offer if I need to, although if it's the same cable I bet I can scare one up locally. (Thanks in any case, though!)

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
diesel-dave said:
i agree!!! this sounds more like a car club...
The first rule of car club is you don't talk about car club ;) !!

Hey bigarniedog. You wouldn't happen to have a copy of the USB driver installers for 2.2 or 2.5? My windows partition on my laptop crashed (wooo, surprise) and I lost all my shizzle. I have NO IDEA where I put my discs!

NFSTDI said:
My point is that you got a steal, no matter how you look at it. I own a legit copy, not the most current one but close enough.
I'm not condoning ebay selling "pirated sh!t", but seriously, they can be had for as little as $30 on there. It's really not that hard to find. If it were a genuine version, I agree, HOLY crappers. You can find Louis Vuiton (purposely spelt wrong to make my point) bags for $20 too. Would you say those are a "good deal"? Not saying it's right, just sayin' ;) !!

Cheers,
-Chris

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
blizzard60 said:
The first rule of car club is you don't talk about car club ;) !!

Hey bigarniedog. You wouldn't happen to have a copy of the USB driver installers for 2.2 or 2.5? My windows partition on my laptop crashed (wooo, surprise) and I lost all my shizzle. I have NO IDEA where I put my discs!

I'm not condoning ebay selling "pirated sh!t", but seriously, they can be had for as little as $30 on there. It's really not that hard to find. If it were a genuine version, I agree, HOLY crappers. You can find Louis Vuiton (purposely spelt wrong to make my point) bags for $20 too. Would you say those are a "good deal"? Not saying it's right, just sayin' ;) !!

Cheers,
-Chris
I doubt it is pirated. Version 2.5 is obsolete and shareware. Shoot me your email and I'll send it too ya

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
thebigarniedog said:
I doubt it is pirated. Version 2.5 is obsolete and shareware. Shoot me your email and I'll send it too ya
Obsolete? Definitely.

Pirated? Absolutely.

The Vag-Tacho system was developed by a guy in Europe somewhere, and runs a lot of money. Just because it's old, doesn't mean that it's not pirated. It doesn't even qualify for abandonware status.

It works just like VCDS. The software and the interface are copyrighted. It just so happens that the software is useless without the dongle interface.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
dzcad90 said:
Obsolete? Definitely.

Pirated? Absolutely.

The Vag-Tacho system was developed by a guy in Europe somewhere, and runs a lot of money. Just because it's old, doesn't mean that it's not pirated. It doesn't even qualify for abandonware status.

It works just like VCDS. The software and the interface are copyrighted. It just so happens that the software is useless without the dongle interface.
I spent the better part of an hour looking through google to confirm your above post. 2.5 is everywhere and sold by everyone. I finally, ran onto http://www.maltchev.com/kiti/ . Versions below 2.60 are not for sale anymore by them. Not exactly definitive, especially by the avalanche of availability on the net for this device (assuming it is the same device).

From what I have found, I cannot determine whether it is pirated or not. I paid for it for the stated purpose in my OP and was lending it to others in the same boat I was in. I will ask a moderator to lock and delete this thread for the hereinnow. I will contact the US email address on the website. I am asking that the cable be returned to me by the current person it is on loan for and I will not re-lend it out until confirmation is received that it is legitimate.

UPDATE: After a bunch of emails (about 6 of them from me to various people at the above link) here is the last one I got:

Hi!

You should buy original hardware interface.
Chinese cloned ones can not work with software.

Regards!
(name deleted by me)

At 03:50 PM 9/19/2009, you wrote:
>I bought vag tacho 2.5 off of ebay. I thought it was a legit program. I
>believe however that it may be your property. From my research, I
>understand that you no longer offer vag tacho 2.5 (that it is obsolete); I
>am asking for a license for personal use of what I bought (I am not asking
>for an upgrade or a warranty or anything else). Will you sell me such a
>license? Thank you

I deem the matter closed and the question answered.

Last edited:

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
thebigarniedog said:
I spent the better part of an hour looking through google to confirm your above post. 2.5 is everywhere and sold by everyone. I finally, ran onto http://www.maltchev.com/kiti/ . Versions below 2.60 are not for sale anymore by them. Not exactly definitive, especially by the avalanche of availability on the net for this device (assuming it is the same device).
From what I have found, I cannot determine whether it is pirated or not. I paid for it for the stated purpose in my OP and was lending it to others in the same boat I was in. I will ask a moderator to lock and delete this thread for the hereinnow. I will contact the US email address on the website. I am asking that the cable be returned to me by the current person it is on loan for and I will not re-lend it out until confirmation is received that it is legitimate.
Hey,

I was REALLY not trying to stir the pot here with any of my comments!!! I just thought is was fairly common knowledge that the devices that were being sold on ebay were a little "grey market" at best. I'm cool if a mod wants to delete my posts in this thread to keep it on its original path.

I believe what you are doing is great, and I think it should continue. A mod/admin can comment on the legality, but I don't have a problem with it ;) !

Sorry if I offended,
-Chris

PS I just pm'd you for the usb drivers. Not sure if you are still down with helping me out :D

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Farfromovin said:
Anyone have VCDS Pro for loan?
What do you mean by "pro"? I thought the only diff between the regular and the pro was that the pro came with a few different cables?

If you wanna borrow my key II usb one let me know (pm me).

Cheers!
-Chris

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
I'm sorry, VDS Pro. It's a DOS program (with interface cable) we can use to code our cars (MKIV's) to roll/unroll the windows with the key fobs...

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Farfromovin said:
I'm sorry, VDS Pro. It's a DOS program (with interface cable) we can use to code our cars (MKIV's) to roll/unroll the windows with the key fobs...
Gotcha! I've got a copy of the software... You want that? Or are you looking for a comp and everything you can borrow? Probably a little too far away to do that!

Cheers,
-Chris

Mike96ZJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Can I modify my window coding with this? I want to modify the rear windows to auto-up/down

ecmbuster

TDI
A6 Quattro, of course!
Interesting thread. The cable is trashed because you may have used the "newer" software. That software is available at their site. The new software is designed to run their cables but trash cloned cables. The eeprom and AMTEL controller has been reprogrammed and disabled.

Never update VCDS while a cloned tacho cable is in place, expect the tacho to self destruct.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
thebigarniedog said:
Sorry guys, the cable is no longer registering :( . It is Kaput.
If you're coming down this way, I may be able to bring it back to life.

Joequin

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS Sedan 2.0
I bought a vag-tacho 2.5 for an instrument cluster swap. Specifically, to get the skc. Got the skc; did the swap.

Stupid thing cost about $55ish all said and done. So in an effort to spare people this expense for a similar cluster swap etc., if anyone needs to use it, let me know. If your local, stop over and use it or do it for ya. If you need it mailed, no problem, just return it in a reasonable period of time when your done and pay for the shipping to and from.

Sorry, don't plan on selling it outright.
I just bought a used ECU now I need the Tacho to do the Immo 3 key problem Im having plus the immo blocked by the ECU Im having could I borrow it? I live in MA...Let me know I have to get this done a.s.a.p. am trust worthy and will return it within a 2 week time period!
THANKS for any help!

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
All this is assuming your working on the 2003 jetta tdi in your signature.

You will need to hook vagtacho to the CAR that the ECU came out of to get its SKC from the instrument cluster. If you cant do this then YOU cant make that ECU work.

You will also need to hook vagtacho to your car to get your SKC out of your instrument cluster. And you'll need vagcom to adapt the new used ECU to the car using the original cars skc and your skc.

If your local dealership is co-operative they can make it work for you (usually they are not, and have been known to just say it cant be done, but it can).

If your dealership wont help, and you cant get the SKC from the instrument cluster of the donor car, then your next best bet is to send the new ECU to Malone to have him delete the immobilizer function. This will permanently leave trouble codes in the instrument cluster but it doesn't turn on any lights or anything.

You may want to read the entire thread. The tool that he was loaning didn't work after being returned.

Last edited: