VAG=> "Fuel shut-off valve... mechanical failure"

wwhalenc

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Jetta with AHU
VAG=> \"Fuel shut-off valve... mechanical failure\"

Has anyone gotten this? Is this fixable? Any insights? Also, the symptom (revving at startup) happened at the same time as a constant loss in boost pressure. Are these related? (wondering if the brain limits fuel for this code to avoid a run-away condition). Any help would be much appreciated. As always..Thanks --Chris (can't search right now!)

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow

This is a valve on the injection pump with a wire attached to it. It shuts off fuel. This has caused problems in the past. I believe an 0 ring got out of place. I also remember people saying that the design was changed. I don't think the valve is that expensive.

Somebody might have a picture of it.

This is the first I've seen this error. Any more details (vw code numbers, model and year, etc)?

wwhalenc

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Jetta with AHU

I'll have to scan again and get the code. AHU tdi with 84K...just put on .205s

wwhalenc

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Jetta with AHU

OK here it is:
01237 Fuel cut off valve N109
04-00-Mechanical Malfunction

I just had it for a spin...after clearing the code earlier the turbo came back to life...until the code showed up again. Strange.

Anyone changed this thing? I realize it's right there visible from the driver side of the pump...is it easy to switch out?

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue

You may also want to double check the wire going into the thing. If I'm correct, a poor connection could cause it to malfunction. Perhaps something was loosened when you did the injector work?

wwhalenc

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Jetta with AHU

Light bulb went off...it was probably apparent to everyone else but it's finally occurred to me what's going on. The cut off neither fully closes (causing the rev at start up nor fully opens--causing the lack of fueling (low boost in absense of smoke)).

MTjake

Veteran Member
TDI

It's not much money for a new valve, but I remember one member urging caution and research if you're going to replace it. Mine was a loose connection but the code said "open circuit or ground to positive", not "failure".