vag-coms and warrenty

Nathan Sanborn

Sooooo.... if I tinker with my engine with a vag-com.... say to "fix" the EGR... am I likely to have any problems with a dealer when I take the car in for warrenty work? I mean, if they hook up their compter are they going to come out wagging thier fingers at me and say "no-way-jose"

or will they not even know?

or will they not care?

Is this covered somewhere and I missed it? If so, just point me in the right direction!

Thanks thanks thanks!
Nathan

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Howdy Nathan
In a straight forward answer....No.

At O'Connors VW or Morong VW or Clair VW...They'll not even know.

[ February 03, 2003, 16:09: Message edited by: Herm TDI ]

Milehog

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta sports wagon TDI
Nathan,

Be aggressive! I have a 2000 Eurovan besides my 01 Jetta TDI. I had a CEL on the van indicating a problem with the coolant temp sensor. I made a printout of the fault from VAG-Com and included in with the repair request paperwork. The way I look at it is the more they know, "You know what your talking about" the less likely they are to try and take advantage of you! I'm sure a Tech seeing codes presented confirmed by VW equipment would get the idea that the owner might have something on the ball. They have less wiggle room. Also if they attempt to accsue you of modifications you can challenge them with where the data!. "Go Vag-Com"

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Howdy, Nathan
Let me put it this way ... I bought my Golf at Morong VW....and the last time I let them touch my car was 2 yrs ago...when they said they did the 20K service.....of which the oil was not changed...nor did they rotate the tires. Then I had the front end alignment battle ...which I won after 5 rounds. Their attitude towards owners and maintenance is "What does the owner know?....they only drive the car"
I had a BIG clue as to what to expect ...when I went to pick up my car...and it wasn't even corrctly preped for delivery. Very shoddy service.(1 on a scale of 10)
O'Connors VW ...they have a compitent parts department...I'd rate O'Connors at 3 on a scale of 10
Clair VW...EXPENSIVE....$88 for an oil change & tire rotation

All of the stealerships charge a minimum $50 to check & reset a CEL

[ February 04, 2003, 17:41: Message edited by: Herm TDI ]

Nathan Sanborn

Thanks! That was what I was HOPING to hear....

Have you had the pleasure (or DIS-pleasure) of visiting any of those 3 establishments, by any chance?

Nathan

Nathan Sanborn

Hey guys!

Thanks for the input... I think I'll be doing the EGR mod at some point soon.

Herm: thanks for the tips. I've heard other people say "Stay away from Morong!" I tried to buy a car there... was originally looking at used and they were not helpful at all. Surprisingly, they didnt even try to sell me up to a new car either.... I ended up going up to O'Conner to check out a couple of used TDIs and after a bit, the salesman said, "well, geez, you know we can probably get you into a new car for only a little bit more..." Which is the kind of line I would expect from a dealer, but by that time I was already thinking the same thing... So they got the sale.

Anyway....

Nathan