Vag-Commander read out a 5 digit LOGIN code instead of 4 !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

C0rnholio

TDI
Audi A4B6 - 2002 - 1.9/130BHP
So, I need to make myself another key for my 2002 Audi A4B6 ( 1.9TDI ). I bought a used key off e-bay with a blank blade + a virgin transponder chip ( id48 ) and the remote of course matches the code/frequency of my single key that I have.

Got the key blade cut, it works fine - it opens the door mechanically and gets the car to the START position, of course it doesn't start the car as the chip is not programmed to the car so I needed to do that.

I don't have any 4/7 digit SKC code that came with the car so since the dealers no longer give these away since 2005, my only hope was to get the login code read out from the ECU via a Vag-Techo or Vag-Commander interface. I didn't find a Tacho but I did find a Commander and after a few tries regarding my cluster ( or ECU - not sure ) type I managed to log into my ECU using the Bosch Something setting so I figured that's the one I have. The software told me that my LOGIN code is 5****. So it's a 5 digit one instead of 4 digit one having the first digit "5". When I got the code read out, I didn't have the "new" key with me so I note down the code thinking I will use a VAGCOM interface in order to have the key matched some days after. Since I knew that usually you put a 0 in front of the 4 digit code in the VAGCOM login area, I figured that since mine was already a 5 digit one, it's correct.

Some days after that I found a friend with a VAGCOM 409.1 ( an old version ) - but when trying to Login into my Instruments I get "Login lost due to dropeed Session" messange on the VAGCOM software. Does that mean that the code is incorect ? If so ... what is this 5 digit code I have then ? Or maybe I need a newer VAGCOM to do it although my car is a 2002 so I figured that even an old 409.1 VAGCOM interface WOULD WORK. Some other guys told me that there is no way that the code is a 5 digit one, and it should be a 4 digit one. Any of you guys ever found a 5 digit login code on any car ?

Thanks!

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
Yes, some cars do have 5-digit PIN codes, for example my 2006 Audi A3 does. However, I am very skeptical that a 2002 A4 would have a 4 digit PIN code; we had a 2002 A4 for a couple of years, and the PIN code for it was definitely 4 digits.

VAG-COM 409.1 is definitely sufficient to do the job on that car, assuming it's actually legitimately licensed, that you have the correct PIN for the car, and that the transponder chip is the correct one (and "virgin", i.e. not locked). However, VAG-COM 409.1 is no longer supported, as it has been replaced by VCDS-Lite.

-Uwe-

C0rnholio

TDI
Maybe it has something to do with either US/German models. Mine is brought from Germany so it's an European model, maybe there's a difference.

Using this info I have checked both my old working key and the new key.

[Select]
[17 - Instruments]
[Meas. Blocks - 08]
Group 022
[Go!]
The value in field 3 must be 1. If value is not 1, the key is not capable of being adapted to Immobilizer. You can check each key in this manner.

The value was 1 for both keys so I would assume that the chip is virgin and programmable to the car.

How can I tell if my cluster has been changed, although I very much doubt it was ... I would firstly assume the code I was given is incorect rather than the cluster being swapped. Also, not sure if this is in any way relevant, some time ago, another guy tried to read out my REAL mileage off my ECU with a much newer VAGCOM cable in order to see if the mileage has been "worked on". It could read the REAL value off a lot of cars but not mine... Does that ring any bells ?

If the code is not what I need then WHAT IS THE CODE I have ? In order to be sure the code was somehow correct when I got it, I disconnected the Vag-Commander, switched off engine and re-connected it and the code was the same. Can the Commander read ANY OTHER type of code by any chance ?

LE : Another IMPORTANT piece of info : if I enter a different code from the one I have I get an error : CODE NOT ACCEPTED BY IMMOBILIZER ( or something ) so it's definetely SOMETHING DIFFERENT then the LOGIN LOST DUE TO DROPPED SESSION so I figure that the code is indeed correct since the behavior is different when I input it compared to the input of ANY OTHER. I don't know ... I'm truly lost.

Last edited:

C0rnholio

TDI
thanks for the answer Uwe but the main reason why people are registering to public forums is to FIND ANSWERS THERE. It would be quite a pain to start asking questions to the guys that MAKE the products that we need to find info about. For example if you'd have a problem with your headlight units on an Audi, who would you ask ? Audi or Valeo ? And in how many YEARS would you actually get an answer ?
Plus, this is the section that covers all OBD related products, including cluster readers :)

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
thanks for the answer Uwe but the main reason why people are registering to public forums is to FIND ANSWERS THERE. It would be quite a pain to start asking questions to the guys that MAKE the products that we need to find info about. For example if you'd have a problem with your headlight units on an Audi, who would you ask ? Audi or Valeo ? And in how many YEARS would you actually get an answer ?
Plus, this is the section that covers all OBD related products, including cluster readers :)
Perhaps you do not understand that Uwe Ross owns Ross-Tech - the maker (and author) of VCDS. I am a little surprised that he was as helpful as he was in answering your questions about a competitors product. How far do you think you would get asking Apple technical questions about Windows 7? Ross-Tech's product support is excellent and I would hope that VAG Commander's would also be satisfactory. If someone here knows the answer to your question, I'm sure you will get an answer, but it is unfair to criticize Uwe for referring you to the maker of the product you are having trouble with. Just my opinion, YMMV

Have Fun!

Don

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
I can assure you ,if your commander is genuine the people who make it, would help you with no problem. Same thing with Ross-Tech. I had so many times question about VCDS and they help me each time I ask for it.

Other thing ,I never seen in Audi 2002 5 digit SKC.So either your tool is not good or your cluster is bad.

C0rnholio

TDI
First of all, I know UWE owns Ross-Tech, however, the section name here on this forum is "OBD SCANNERS", not "ROSS-TECH OBD SCANNERS" nor this whole forum is ONLY Ross-tech related.
VAG-Commander or VAG-Tacho plus some others are scanning devices so I find it very NORMAL to have the question asked here.
I congratulate OWE for his company, and that probably because of him we all can now check/program our cars without the use of a dealer and made this all available at an affordable price. But respect is ONE THING and licking someone's "behind" is ANOTHER. Just cause I didn't agree to the way he answered, JSWTDI09 jumped to my throat defending OWE.
OWEs answer lead to the idea that if it's not Ross-Tech related, WHY DID I ASK THE QUESTION in the first place. This is the reason why I became a bit jumpy. Regarding the Apple/Win question, you're right but as far as I know, this is not Ross-Tech's forum and the question was not for any Ross-Tech personnel.

Anyway I would like to thank anyone else that contributed with an answer. I have no clue if the Commander the guy used is genuine or not... I will try the programming with a newer VCDS interface, maybe it's a hardware issue I donno. I will keep you guys posted, if someone is interested, giving that "this is not a ROSS-TECH issue" :D

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
You are correct, this is not a VCDS forum, it is a generic OBDII scanner forum. Your original question was not out of line.

As for "jumping at your throat" - that was not my intention. I was merely pointing out why Uwe had little interest in supporting someone else's product. I have no intention of licking anyone's behind. He was actually being nice to point you in the right direction for further support. I did state that "If someone here knows the answer to your question, I'm sure you will get an answer". There are many VW experts that hang out here (I'm not one of them) and they are usually very helpful.

UWEs answer lead to the idea that if it's not Ross-Tech related, WHY DID I ASK THE QUESTION in the first place. This is the reason why I became a bit jumpy.
I do not believe that was his intention at all. His answer just was about why should HE answer your question. Others are free to answer anytime. As for becoming "jumpy", this is one of the big problems with on-line forums. It is often difficult to read the intent of posts. Sometimes the words can easily be misinterpreted and the intent misunderstood. I am sorry if you misunderstood the intent of my message.

Good Luck!

Don

Last edited:

C0rnholio

TDI
I never intended for the question to be aimed at him. Yeah you're right about forums and intentions ...

Anyway, no offense taken so let's leave it to that :)

@vwjettadsl - when the code was read out of my car I could have easily match my new key but I didn't have it on me at the time and the reading was done in another city so I can't just go back to that guy and do it. So my option was to get the code noted down and have the programming done via VCDS which a lot of people use.

I would try and buy a Vag-Tacho to do it, but the opinions are very mixed about whether it would work on my 2002 A4B6 or not. Since I managed to make the Commander work, I reckon that the Tacho would not work. The main problem is not paying a small amount for a cable of ebay as they come real cheap, it's more about the waiting time till I do get it. Do you know for sure if Tacho does work for a 2002 B6 ? Some guy tried it on a 2003 B6 and it didn't work... I know the ebay guys say 2002 A4s but I don't know. They might be referring to the B5 model.

Last edited:

C0rnholio

TDI
Ok we're back. Been quite busy the past months so I didn't have the time to deal with this but now the ich is back :)

Managed to get my hands on a genuine VCDS Cable at a local repair shop. However they didn't have any tool to read the code outta my car so we just tried using the one I already have. Surprise, the same thing happened with the licensed version. I was logged out due to dropped session ( or something ) which of course means that the code IS NOT GOOD.

However that code must stand for something. In the reading process as I recall, the guy had to go through many cluster models to find one that his Commander would log on to so he could read the SKC and finally got it to work with BOSCH type so that's what I have. Does that mean anything in particular ? From what I have read on some forums, Bosch clusters are tricky-er to work with.

Also there are some so called "immo code generators" such as this one : http://immo-code.com - of course the price is SKY HIGH. I would almost end up buying another car for the price of that license :) Question is : maybe I need to generate another code from this 5 digit - that would work. Any thoughts on that ?

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
why not read the cluster part number out of vcds, then go to your guy with vag commander and have him use the correct cluster model number in his search for the skc?

just in case the one he was able to log in to was not the correct one...

C0rnholio

TDI
Well first of all the guy with the Commander is from another city that I met only for 20 mins to do this specific job on my way to the mountains :)

Second, out of the whole cluster list of that Commander software, the Bosch XX one was the ONLY one that worked as after we found it on the list we kept going to see if some other would let us log in but no. Plus once you're connected to a type, it's pretty unlikely other will work from what I know.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Just askin. good luck. might want to have VCDS and vag commander together at the same time with someone that knows what to do with them running them.

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
Might want to add to make sure that any tools you use are the legit, non-pirated versions so you can actually contact the company who makes them for tech support. Looks like you've been fighting with this for 2.5 months so far and could have had an answer right away.

C0rnholio

TDI
I don't do this for a living and I don't plan to but if you add up the $$ necessary to do this thing 100% "LEGIT" you get close to an amount that would be enough to get a decent car.

All I want to do is match a damn key to my car and of course I want to go cheaper than the dealer considering I purchased a second hand key. So I have to try all sorts of "possibilities" - go there, borrow that etc. While I fully understand and respect the software creators - I don't intend to win any money from this so a huge investment in the tools is just stupid from my point of view.

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
In that case you may not want to ask for help in a forum where the other people are abiding by the laws and the forum rules:

http://www.tdiclub.com/Disclaimer/ForumRules.html

"[7]Do not discuss, suggest, engage, or encourage any illegal activity on the forums. Linking to locations that deal with any such activity are also forbidden."

Last edited:

C0rnholio

TDI
Ohhh here we go again!

I HAVE NEVER SAID I USE ORIGINAL/NON ORIGINAL interfaces. I don't even own an interface, all I asked for is generic questions related to product X and Y. Not questions related to COPY VERSION A of product X or Y. Plus the so called NON ORIGINAL items are sold world wide and there isn't ANY LAW to forbid such thing. They are interfaces that connect the CAR to a LAPTOP/PC and I can build one myself if I really put my mind to it and have a scheme. Nothing illegal there. Using a pirated software is another business and also very questionable as being AGAINST THE LAW in many countries or not. As far as I am concerned they are just other cheap versions of the OFFICIAL Audi ( my case ) original software they use in the dealerships just as VAG-COM ( VCDS is ). If you are so frustrated some folks had the nerve to come up with a cheaper version of what you are selling, the same way AUDI could be mad at YOU for coming up with a possibility for the people to STOP PAYING BIG CASH at the dealership for simple operations.

I need to repeat myself : THIS IS A PUBLIC FORUM and discussions about any given product are FREE and I haven't done anything BUT THAT. I don't think that ANY of my posts can be considered ILLEGAL or AGAINST THE LAW.

You and UWE represent a company that manufactures and sells products/software that deal with some of the issues I AM ENTITLED TO ASK ABOUT, whether I BOUGHT THE PRODUCT OR NOT. Also there are MANY other companies that manufacture the same class of products: scanners, diagnostic tools, code readers ETC. The thread itself ( topic ) is in fact related to ANOTHER PRODUCT all together.

So if you do want to help and answer any of my questions on this thread go ahead and I appreciate it, if NOT, take your lame lines elsewhere as I don't really buy 'em and I especially WILL NOT BUY YOUR PRODUCT FOR THAT MATTER not to mention the low poor threats about ILLEGAL stuff and forum rules WHICH I HAVE CLEARLY NOT BROKEN. As far as I am concerned YOU ARE OFF-TOPIC.

If I wanted to get SUPPORT from the companies mentioned, I would have opened topics on their webistes/forums etc. But this is not ROSS-TECH forum nor any other company's forum for that matter. This is PUBLIC and anyone, especially ordinary people can contribute to, even if "some" hot-shots HATE IT or NOT.

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
THIS IS A PUBLIC FORUM
Wrong. It is privately owned and the owners can make and enforce whatever rules they want.

-Uwe-

PS: I find it rather amusing to have someone who has been a member here for a few months telling others who have been members for a decade or longer what is and isn't "Off-Topic".

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
C0rnholio said:
Ohhh here we go again!

blah blah blah snip.....
There is no tech support for anyone's cloned/pirated software/hardware products. If your source used a cloned/pirated product, you will have to go back to them to get your issues sorted out. This is what the membership is trying to tell you. If your source's scan tool is legit, you were given the proper and correct answer by Uwe in post #3. It is irrelevant who posts the proper and correct answer to your issues.

Yes, TDIClub allows the discussion of anyone's LEGITIMATE OBD product. Only the legitimate versions work correctly and only the legitimate versions have tech support. Anything else and one is on their own.

Yes, TDIClub allows discussion of cloned/pirated OBD software/hardware. This is so the membership can inform people that what they have/did won't work and they either get access to the legitimate products, or figure it out for themselves.

TDIClub gets a lot of threads about people gloating about their cheap ebay cloned/pirated OBD software/hardware, but then whine, mope, and sulk about how it doesn't work, or worse, it messed up their car. They get advice with no sympathy.

Good luck.

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.