VAG-COM sport mode, WOW!

Redleg

TDI
None currently
With the help of NateBG yesterday, I recoded the car to 1134 yesterday, and it feels like a completely different car. I drives much more like a VW should, and less like a Buick. No moere hunting at ligh throttle, shifts up quicker to 4th and holds it until reaching highway speeds. Shifts seems firmer too. Definetely doesn't take as much throttle to shift down to pass, and goes like stink when it does. it alos holds the gear you want, and won't shift up at redline when in Tip mode, but it will still downshift when the revs drop below about 1200, unless in 2nd. doesn't seem to hurt the fuel economy, but then I only have 2300 miles on the car. Now, if I can just keep my foot out of it, then I might start getting some decent numbers.

leobg

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 2004 black
Recoding with VagCom is really easy - plug your vag-com cable, turn ignition on (do not start the car), start VAG-Com, open transmission controller, then choose 'recode' and enter the desired new code (don't forget to write down the original one in case you want to go back - there is no 'undo' in Vag-Com), confirm the desired change, close the controller, exit vag-com, switch ignition off, disconnect vag-com cable. You're ready to go

Bivi

Veteran Member
Can you let us know what your fuel ecomomy looks like after a month or so of driving. This sounds very exciting. If the MPG's stay up I would like to give this a try too!!

leobg

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 2004 black
1114 gives you sport shifting in auto mode ('PRND432' mode).
1134 adds up 'old strategy' tiptronic shifting ('12345' mode) in addition to the above.

I'm at 1114 as I use the tip shifting very rarely.

Redleg

TDI
None currently
I got all of the instruscions from a post by OakHillVariant on Passatworld forums. Here is a link: Tip Re-code Instructions
As you can see, there are different options. You can use loebg's solution if you don't use the Tiptronic function much, just change the Tiptronic function, or go all the way like I did. The old strategy shifting makes the tiptronic act more like a manual and it stays in the gear you put it in, unless the engine revs drop below 1200 RPM, then it shifts down. the only place this is a drawback is in traffic where the average speed is 10-20 MPH and it would be nice to idle along in second or third, but the trans won't let you. By the way, I also got my best milage yet or the trip home yesterday (72 miles, mostly on GSP during he evening rush), an indicated 41.2 MPG, which given the satndard error is 39 MPG. Not bad for a 2600 mile car at an average speed of 75 MPH. We'll see how things work out over the next month (should be about 4000 miles worth of driving). I may switch it back when the car has about 10K on it, but i don't think I will keep it there unless the milage is drastically different (more than 2-3 MPG per tank)

joelg00

Would you make the sport shifting mod right away on a new car or wait till the car is broken in? I'm picking up a new wagon today and I do find the shifting in my wife's passat sedan quite sloppy.

Alchemy

Veteran Member
TDI
None thanks to dieselgate
Referencing the question on fuel economy, I have run three tanks since recoding to sport mode, and here are the results.

Average of first 25 tanks (factory setting) = 33.5 MPG
Average of the last 3 tanks (1134 coding) = 33.6 MPG

Not that three tanks is a statistically valid sample size for 95% confidence that the post-recode average is within +/- 3 standard deviations of the pre-recode population, but if I was a betting man, there is no difference.

Steve

Redleg

TDI
None currently
Would you make the sport shifting mod right away on a new car or wait till the car is broken in? I'm picking up a new wagon today and I do find the shifting in my wife's passat sedan quite sloppy.
I did it as soon as I could find some one with a VAG-COM

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
So where do I get a VAG-Com?
Scroll up to the top of this page and click on the link that says "VAG-Com List" to find someone near you who owns one and is willing to help you out. Or, you can go to the VAG-COM forum on this website - Uwe Ross, the man behind VAG-Com hangs out there... Or you can go to www.ross-tech.com

DRbillZ

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, Jetta, one totaled Passat....RIP.
I've always found the triptronic to be pretty silly. Especially when it downshifts when you hit the gas. Isn't that why you want a manual-shifting car so it DOESN'T shift? I mean if you need another gear isn't that WHY YOU SHIFT? I'll try a setting that doesn't shift gears around quite so much and maybe I'll actually use this useless POS

houstondriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 05 TDI
The Tiptronic is not a manual, no matter how you slice it. It just allows you more manual control of the auto-trans rather than pushing the button and shifting through the various auto-gears. Because it is an automatic transmission, I suspect it needs to downshift even in tip mode to avoid damaging the transmission.

I too am a bit annoyed at the downshifting that occurs in city driving with the tiptronic (in full auto mode), which is especially bad with the A/C on, which I run about 10 months out of the year here
I'm seriously considering changing to sport-mode.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Finally my transmission shifts like it should always have.

I got irritated by the delayed 3rd-4th upshift up a hill. It always seemed to wait for 6 seconds after you rounded the crest to upshift.

I just did the recode to 1134. What a difference!

I shifts like a normal tranny and actually gets into the higher gears at the right speed.

No more having to tiptronic control it. And no more of that fast downshift if you press the accelerator quickly but not all the way to the floor. It lets you feed more power without downshifting.

Crackers

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Does anybody know what the Vag-Com sport mode code is or does one exist for the 2001 Jetta TDI?

mobe

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Does anybody know what the Vag-Com sport mode code is or does one exist for the 2001 Jetta TDI?
Welcome to the club!

Sorry, a code doesn't exist for earlier automatic transmissions.

Or as tomo366 says...

No.

This the B5 Passat forum.

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI auto, platinum gray, ESP
The sport mode is an Audi thing and since the B5 is an Audi it works. So it wont work on any other car. Been there, done that, pissed off.

Turbospool

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 White TDI Jetta, 280k, 2003 jetta 270k
got a friend who wants to go back to original code ... does anyone know what it was ? Thanks. ( I know I should have wrote it down.)

spartan

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon
I had not heard of this before, I am going to try it tonight :)

spartan

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon
Wow, I did it last night and I must say that I am impressed. If you have not tried this yet give it a whirl. FYI I recoded my to 1134.

CaddyWVO

TDI
2004 Passat
I used VAG-COM to change my tranny code to 0001134. The original code was set to 0001104. After a short test drive through the country roads near my home, I was pleasantly surprised at the difference in driving. I have only used the manual shifting a couple of times under abnormal driving conditions and leave the shifter exclusively in the auto 'D' position. I do drive fast and like to accelerate in traffic. I get worse fuel economy than most because I drive like a maniac most of the time, around 31mpg averaging 50/50 city/Hwy. I have to say that I frequently hated the way it would downshift when I coasted on the off-ramp or when moving at city speed around 30-35mph. The tranny would constantly up-shift and then down-shift. Now that is all gone. When I floor it, it uses all of the RPM range before shifting and if I'm already going 65-70mph and floor it, there is a quick down-shift and quick acceleration until I let up on the pedal and then it shifts back into 5th gear! I cannot say enough how much better this is since I changed the code!

Thanks to all of the veteran members for all of the great information!

Charlie