MRIBOB

Veteran Member
TDI
None- Jetta-0 - Mexico 1
VAG-COM \" RESET IN ADAPTATION\"

In the latest Softwhere from VAG-COM
if you go into Adaptaion BLOCK 00

It says: Doing a SAVE in BLOCK 00 will reset to all Factory SETTINGS

There is a little confusion about the reset.

For exsample I changed the EGR/MAF value for the EGR mod.

Then tested to see if it would reset back. It did not.

I emailed VAGCOM and it does NOT reset the Values that you change.
That resets "LEARNED" programs in the computer and not anything we change.

Here is a copy of the email:

We are discussing the problem right now with Uwe, and it seems it's a terminology problem. The original function is to "Clear learned values". This may not include user-entered values, hence the "problem".

Hey I did not know my Jetta could "LEARN".
How do I know the car won't get to smart and call me BIG DUMMY and then try to Modify me to drive different!

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .

Tech at dealership said some time ago(about a year) that when you change the EGR with VAG-COM that it really has no lasting effect on the computer settings, and they will go back to previous settings. I thought he was BSing me. Maybe he wasn't. He offered to show me at the time and I told him I beleived him.

Eric Maurier

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Octavia '01, TDI 90

Tech at dealership said when you change the EGR with VAG-COM they will go back to previous settings. I thought he was BSing me. Maybe he wasn't.
He was

Did you change that EGR setting? How long ago? Now what's the spec MAF? About 370 or the standard 250?

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)

there is a 'learned' function in the car - driving style generally supposedly.

i've been "told" that the car learns patterns and adjs accordingly, and the other way to "reset" ECU learned functions is to unplug the battery and turn on a light or something else to drain all the voltage out of the ecu and anything and let it sit for a while. Unplugging the ecm and taking it out to chill often does the same thing I've been told.

A few friends of mine do this all the time with their subarus and a few other cars (auto tranny IIRC) and they swear there is a HUGE difference before and after. Car gets slow.

<shrug> hmmmm might try that though - anyone else try it and notice a difference?

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .

Thanks man, this has got to be the best car forum on the net.

When I told a the young man at Circuit City (he was taking out the XM in the Beetle and puting it into Jetta) about buying my VAG-COM he ask what all that could be done with it, he almost fell over when I told him. He asked if I could change the alarm so the horn would not beep on his Jetta VR6. Told I would bring laptop next time I came over to shop and I would change it for him and do a code check.

You should see the quality uninstal/install job the guy did, I'll see him the weekend of 5 July and take care of the fellow. Never know, I might need his services again.