VAG-COM Release 311.2 Announcement

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
New features:

* Supports all 2004 model VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda models using K-line for diagnostics. CAN support for Golf-5 based cars and the new Audi A8 coming 1Q 2004.

* New "Turbo" mode in Measuring Blocks for ME7 and EDC16 ECUs using KWP-2000 protocol for diagnostics. Up to 34 samples per second. Requires HEX-COM or HEX-USB interface. Slow PC's will not be able to achieve maximum sample rates.

* Enhanced keyboard support thoughout VAG-COM -- for people using old laptops with broken pointing devices, or 1551/1552 users who can't learn new tricks..:)

* Browse function when opening Log files.

* Ability to Log Measuring Block Group 000.

* Considerable optimization and bloat reduction. This release is 10-15% smaller than some previous 3xx.x versions.

* Includes all features introduced in previous Beta versions 308 and 310.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/download/

-Uwe-

BoFH

TDI
Silver 98 Passat Sport 1.9 & Red '00 Polo 1.4
Hi there,

I want to get the software and register it but after trying it out. BIG PROBLEM... I have had no luck sourcing a cable in the UK and all the distributors want to rip me off. Do they honestly think I won't check the price in other places (USA)? Any ideas....?

/images/graemlins/confused.gifOmar

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
[ QUOTE ]
Uwe said:
New features:

* Considerable optimization and bloat reduction. This release is 10-15% smaller than some previous 3xx.x versions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uwe, that all sounds good. I know my laptop battery is drained very quickly when running VAGCOM...seems like the processor activity is high. Will we see any change in this area?

thx.

TDI Brit

Omar, why not try Andy Whittaker in the UK (google search it) i built my own interface for next to nothing and its fine
-Bob-

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
Uwe said:
But have you ever noticed the checkboxes on the Options screen that say: "Reduce CPU Usage"? :)

-Uwe-

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I had not seen that. Thanks for mentioning it. When I'm running VAGCOM, it's the only application I have open and it drains the battery very quickly.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
I don't believe that homemade cables are the best route.
Certainly for what the software costs, it's worth supporting the manufacturer? There may be other advantages to the "proper" interface as well.

Disclaimer - I resell VAGCOM but I was a customer from way back. I wouldn't consider owing a VWAG product without one.

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
[ QUOTE ]
dieseldorf said:
[ QUOTE ]
Uwe said:
But have you ever noticed the checkboxes on the Options screen that say: "Reduce CPU Usage"? :)

-Uwe-

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I had not seen that. Thanks for mentioning it. When I'm running VAGCOM, it's the only application I have open and it drains the battery very quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of AC adapter does your laptop use? Mine outputs 16 VDC and the laptop has a 10.8 V Li-Ion battery. This lead me to conclude that it would be happy with 12 VDC from my vehicle. I picked up an inline plug/socket set at Home Depot and a fused 12V plug from Radio Shack. I cut the line to the laptop near the adapter and installed the plug/socket. I then installed a matching connector to the 12V plug from Radio Shack taking care to match the polarity with my multimeter. This works well. My laptop doesn't think the power is online unless the vehicle is running, so it seems that the circuit that detects that is looking for something a little higher than 12V on the line.

In my case this was absolutely necessary, as my battery is old and won't run the laptop for more than a few minutes in any case. If your power requirements are similar to mine I suspect this would work just as well for you.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dave, I don't know the output of the charger. I'm sure I can get a car adapter for it. If I am just doing basic stuff with the laptop, the battery lasts 1+ hour. When running VAGCOM, I probably get 1/2 hour or less. It's not a big deal unless I am trying to VAG more than one car at a GTG, for example.

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
Just take a look at the adapter, the voltage type and current ratings will be printed on it. Of course you can purchase an auto adapter, but have you priced them? That is what led me to make my own for just a few bucks.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I recently upgraded to the latest release (311.2) and got "activated" yesterday. I have a Twin-COM interface cable.

I like the latest VAG-COM software release way better than any previous version! I'm not a first-time user, but one of my first impressions was that it seems to be a bit easier to use and more intuitive. This should help make it easier for a first time user. I highly recommend the upgrade!

My Compaq laptop's battery is just about dead (5 years old), so that gives me about 5 minutes or less on the battery. I use a 50W AC inverter plugged into the cig lighter socket to give me 120V AC power to run the laptop's charger. The laptop is powered by its AC adapter/charger and runs like it's plugged in at home. It's inconvenient but it goes as long as needed.

I love version 311.2! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

~ n1das

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dave, thanks for your suggestion. I'll have a look. i'm actually trying to track down one of the special batteries that replaces the floppy drive so I can get extended service from the laptop.

As n1das mentions, I have one of those inverters as well so I can always resort to that. I just get tired (and annoyed) of having cables running all over the interior of the car while trying to drive, tweak and monitor the VAG gages! The cables really get in the way. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE

spicy_red

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI, highline, 6MT, multimedia, plat grey metallic
[ QUOTE ]
Uwe said:
New features:

* Supports all 2004 model VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda models using K-line for diagnostics.

-Uwe-

[/ QUOTE ]

Uwe, maybe a stupid question... does this mean EGR mods can be done on 2004 PD's?
Thanks

Eric Maurier

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Octavia '01, TDI 90
[ QUOTE ]
spicy_red said:
Uwe, maybe a stupid question... does this mean EGR mods can be done on 2004 PD's?
Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

No. If the engine controller doesn't allow us to do it, it can't be done. But I'm still working on it (finding a login or security access code that would unlock some adaptation channel).