VAG-com purchase advise

tdigood

Hi,

I plan to purchase the VAG-com software.

I have a 2000 Jetta TDI, and may buy new Passat 1.8T in the future. Currently, I only have a PC (Windows 98), buy plan to get a laptop towards the end of this year?

Which Vag-com version should I buy for my described situation? Thanks.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
yeah ross-tech is a very good site with info on it, get it from there ya have free upgrades for life anyways

tdigood

What I mean is which Ross-tech Vag-com interface are most people getting - uni-com, twin-com, twin-usb or hex-com? Is the uni-com sufficient?

Vectorer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premo
What I did last year was to go to the local electronics flea market one Saturday morn and bought an old, used Compaq Pentium laptop to go with Uwe's registered program. Then I added Greg Landuyt's interface (RS-232) to a serial cable. The kid's AC-DC videogame power adapter works too, although a bit cumbersome. I'm up and running on the cheap and I don't plan to do anything other than VAG-COM with this unit.

Greg's interface (with the slick lights!) is available for $60 shipped here at Greg's site. Keep in mind that many high-end laptops do not have an RS-232 port.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
You really need to check this with Ross-tech because the newest cars maybe using the newer style cable.

Eric Maurier

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Octavia '01, TDI 90
None of these cars has a second K-Line. Therefore a unicom will be sufficient. Make sure you get a serial port with your new laptop, or you'll need a somewhat more expensive twin-usb.