VAG-COM OBD Scanners references/FAQ

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Below are the links to VAG-COM FAQs and references. If you are aware of others that should be here, let me know.

If you have some technical references or FAQ's for other OBD Scanners, let me know and I'll start a "sticky" for that as well.

Here is the current "list":
<ul type="square">
[*] VAG-COM FAQ
[*] Common Diagnostic Procedures
* Ross-Tech TDI section
* 1998-2003 VW MkIV Golf/Jetta/New Beetle Information Page
[*] TDI Timing Checker (not for PDs)
[*] "Aftermarket Radio Problem"
[*] "Butt Dyno" Instructions
[/list]

MinnesotaTim

TDI
Jetta, 1998, black
Thanks for the help with my login issues. I went through Ross-Techs manual and my bentley last night, but didn't stumble into the TDI specific stuff until I saw the link on your post.
Tim

BugBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle TDI, 2005 New Beetle
VW Derf said:
Below are the links to VAG-COM FAQs and references. If you are aware of others that should be here, let me know.

If you have some technical references or FAQ's for other OBD Scanners, let me know and I'll start a "sticky" for that as well.

Here is the current "list":
<ul type="square">
[*] VAG-COM FAQ
[*] Common Diagnostic Procedures
* Ross-Tech TDI section
* 1998-2003 VW MkIV Golf/Jetta/New Beetle Information Page
[*] TDI Timing Checker (not for PDs)
[*] "Aftermarket Radio Problem"
[*] "Butt Dyno" Instructions
[/list]
I have used the Autoxray EZ-Scan 5000 on a 2001 and a 2006 TDI Beetles. The Autoxray tool will monitor, scan codes, reset the 'Check Engine' light and more.
http://www.autoxray.com/products.aspx?sub=scanners

EDIT:
Update. I have recently purchased the VAG-COM. This is The best engine/car diagnostic tool I have used so far. A must have!

Last edited:

Keith_W

TDI
'96 Passat Wagon
Where is the OBD2 port?

Somehow I've missed it, I keep poking around the fuse box, console... Where is it? Do I have to remove something? '98 Passat tdi.

k

Airliner

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 1.9TDi Avant Quattro 2001 silver
Either:

Above drivers feet. You don't have to remove anything.

or:

Below the parking brake handle (between front seats). You have to remove a little "hood".

Keith_W

TDI
'96 Passat Wagon
Oops: what year is it again?

My Bad. I have a '96 Passat. I bet it doesn't have OBD2, does it? What was I thinking? Too many vehicles in my brain.

K

Warthog

Veteran Member
TDI
see Bio
If "hidden", it's behind a little panel somewhere on the dash that has a picture similar to the MIL (Engine malfunction light) pressed into it. The engine block outline with the lightning bolt thru it...otherwise. Pry it out/off gently...the socket is usually pink or purple.

DerekA86

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Silver
Vag-com Linux?

So, I haven't needed to use my vag-com in a while...and since last use I wiped my only windows laptop of M$ completely, and I have been a happy suse user since. So, is there any support for Mac or linux out there? I think my only option is running the program under wine, but I was wondering if anyone else has tackled this problem, and how you did it. Thanks folks

DerekA86

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Silver
I found my answer. sorry for posting like a newb and not doing enough research. late.

TurboHokie

TDI
02 Jetta GLS, 14 Sportwagen
Has anyone had any luck with other VAG-COM software suites that are on the market aside from the Ross Tech option? I'm looking for something that will pull accurate VW specific codes and allow me to reset the CEL. 02 Jetta.

samekongen

TDI
VW T4 151 hp
Vag-com passenger airbag

Can the Vag-com turn of the passenger airbag, (so I safely can fit a baby seat there?

rodejetta

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta2001
What did you find, in short? I am a newbie and must say that all these threads are somewhat overwhelming. I want to get a vag-com, but want it working with Linux (suse, like you have works great for me!) Thanks, Hans
DerekA86 said:
I found my answer. sorry for posting like a newb and not doing enough research. late.

mlconnell

TDI
2004 GLS TDI
OBD Cable

BeartheBruce said:
It should be located behind a panel to the right of the steering column as shown here: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/dlc.html#b3
Hey guys does that connector behind the steering column in that picture on this link take an OBD II cable? This is exactly like my connector in my 2004 Golf TDI but I'm not sure which kind of cable I need to buy? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks:)

mlconnell

TDI
2004 GLS TDI

miguelandrade100 said:
I have a Golf TDI 199.5 and same times the engine lights is on.What is the problem?
Miguel
Miquel what other lights are on when the engine light is on? It would be hard to tell the error without a VAG-COM to read the error.

vflflyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI 1.9L w/Manual Trans.
I am thinking about buying a vag-com cable but do not know wich one I need and if it is worth buying, since I will only be using this for personal use (Will it benifit me?) and will also let people use it that are local.

I have a 2003 jetta tdi 1.9l non pd (not sure what pd means but the engine does not look the same as mine as I have seen this in the Bently manual). Manual 5sp trans., power windows/locks. I am located in the an Diego area.

Also will version 409 do everything I need, as I was thinking of buying a cable from ebay or do you guys really think it is worth it to spend alot more money and get the one from Ross

Last edited:

Lee_Taylor

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 1.4 COD
vflflyer said:
I am thinking about buying a vag-com cable but do not know wich one I need and if it is worth buying, since I will only be using this for personal use (Will it benifit me?) and will also let people use it that are local.

I have a 2003 jetta tdi 1.9l non pd (not sure what pd means but the engine does not look the same as mine as I have seen this in the Bently manual). Manual 5sp trans., power windows/locks. I am located in the an Diego area.

Also will version 409 do everything I need, as I was thinking of buying a cable from ebay or do you guys really think it is worth it to spend alot more money and get the one from Ross
PD refers to the type of injection system. Yours is an older engine with a seperate injection pump. The PD's have individual injector pumps in the cylinder head.

As to whether or not it is worth it, only you can answer that question. A lot of people here did as I did and bought a cheap cable on Ebay and used version 409 but ended up getting the real McCoy. Once you register it the program is very useful. If you plan on owning more than one VW to my mind it's worth buying the real thing. Not least because it uses the latest version of the software. Version 409 is ok, but only if you have the licensed version and if you switch laptops you have to bugger about and de-register it. If you plan on doing a timing belt change on your car you can use VCDS to check the timing.
There are lots of things you can do with the cable which the Ross Tech site explains. Like any good tool it costs money but you can tell a lot about the kind of mechanic by the quality of their tools.

GoGolfing

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 Candy White
Anyone load and work with latest Ross Tech Vagcom ver 8?

I downloaded this and went to measuring blocks and cannot seem to find any address 0-255 that will display TURBO Info like boost...

Is anyone aware of any documentation that spells out meas blocks for A4 cars?

Thanks in advance.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
GoGolfing said:
I downloaded this and went to measuring blocks and cannot seem to find any address 0-255 that will display TURBO Info like boost...

Is anyone aware of any documentation that spells out meas blocks for A4 cars?

Thanks in advance.
There is plenty of boost information, it is called MAP (manifold absolute pressure) and measured in millibars.
You are used to seeing boost in psi, probably. You can find conversion data online. Remember to subtract atmospheric pressure.

If you print out the label files with a text reader, such as notepad, you can read through the groups and find what you need. It is best to log RPM, specified MAP and actual MAP, and N75 duty cycle.

dentchristian

TDI
98 Jetta
16 pin female VAG-COM plug location for a 98 Jetta TDI

Hey People:

Does anyone know the location of the VAG-COM 16 pin female plug for a 98 VW jetta tdi?

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Beside the ashtray, behind a plastic panel with an engine icon on it. Remove ashtray and slide cover panel towards steering column.

Simon