TDI
Golf GLS, 2002, Mojave Beige Metallic
I just hooked up my VAG-COM and read my fault codes Here is what came up:

16485 MAF Sensor (G70) Implausible Signal
35-00
16785 EGR System: Insufficient Flow
35-10 Intermittent

What does all this mean?
I only have a Bentely Hard copy manual not a CD.

[ September 19, 2002, 19:12: Message edited by: KentSzabo ]

dirty diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2k bug TDI
HmnnnI see from your profile you are upsoluted and a member of the epsilonian federation...

Well i sounds like a bad MAF and a possible problem with the egr. Check the egr duty cycle in measuring blocks and report it back here. Also what is the mg/stroke reading off the MAF at idle w/ eng. @ op temp.?

How is the car running? any drivability problems/ pwr loss? MIL lit on dash?

KentSzabo

Veteran Member
TDI
Here is my post from 9/14 in this discussion group:
Today I left my house in my 2002 Golf GLS TDI drove the 1/3 mile in 2nd to the highway, ambient temperature 70 degerees. Got to the highway and there was a car 1/4 mile from my road, so I hit it (WOT) in 1st, then 2nd, shifted to 3rd, and died till I backed off throttle. Drove 35 miles with only slightly less power noticed going up hills. Stopped after 35 miles for 10 minutes. Started it up again for the trip home. I heard the turbo whine as usual, got back onto the highway and no power at all, less than the 80 Rabbit diesel I used to have. Went like this barely maintaing 55 MPH, till I started to coast down a long hill 10 miles later, and then I hit the throttle and got back up to 75 MPH, but as I was going down the long hill before I hit the throttle the Check Engine Light came on. Drove for another 3 miles and had no trouble maintaining 75 - 80 MPH. Idecided I better see if anything was noticeably wrong under the hood, so I stopped in a small town and looked but saw no trouble. When I started up again no CEL and no power, after a mile or so I was downhill again, and the power restored itself. I drove between 65 to 75 MPH the rest of the way home, but not quite the same power and accelleration as yesterday. CEL is of course still on. It seems there is no power after starting until I get the CEL to come on by going downhill.
The car has had an Epsilonian device since 200, on the odometer, the CCV elephant hose bypass since 500, and an Upsolute chip since 4700. PiperCross panel since 9500. This all started at 11500 on the odometer.
I don't have a VAG com, so I am probably going to the dealer Monday with it.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be wrong? I recall seeing posts about the limp mode, but I don't recall any about the popwer coming nearly all the way back.

I will go hook it all back up and try to get you the data requested.

KentSzabo

Veteran Member
TDI
RPM 903 Mass Air/REV 800.0 Mass Air/REV 550.0 Duty Cycle 4.8 Channel Number 3 Stored Value 33768 New Value 33768 Test Value 33768

KentSzabo

Veteran Member
TDI
Heres more stuff:
Channel Number 4 IGN timing 2.4 Ign timing 2.4 Duty cycle 51.8
Channel number 5 Inj. Quantity 18.6 Ign. Timing 2.2 Temperature 90.9

KentSzabo

Veteran Member
TDI
Only thing different today from 9/14 is Epsilonion and Piper Croos panel are out per Rene based on dealer probably going to say it is cause of possible MAF failure.

[ September 19, 2002, 19:55: Message edited by: KentSzabo ]

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
35-00
16785 EGR System: Insufficient Flow
35-10 Intermittent

I've seen this happen on my epsi device...Check to see if the housing on your "Epsi" is touching anything that may make contact with the wires. Also chect the connection where your "epsi" is wired into your MAF harness. I found that it's best to use some solder to tin the leads and then reconnect your Epsi.

Karl

Veteran Member
At the risk of sounding stupid, what is this "epsilonian" device and what does it do?

[ September 20, 2002, 06:43: Message edited by: Karl Adams ]

KentSzabo

Veteran Member
TDI
Epsi is out as I intend to bring it into dealer Tuesday, but wire it used to be connected to may not be connected real good as I didn't solder it, just twisted and liquid electrical tape.

KentSzabo

Veteran Member
TDI
Originally posted by Karl Adams:
At the risk of sounding stupid, what is this "epsilonian" device and what does it do?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Epsilonion device lets one defeat the EGR without throwing a code. Hence no soot in the intake.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
KentSzabo:
That connection is the cause of your CEL...IMHO.
You'll need to solder the tips of both wires..and then use a crimp connection(blade & shoe). The high resistenance of the poor connection is what is causeing of your CEL. The MAF is tring to send a given signal to the ECU and the resistance is not what the ECU is expecting.

dirty diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2k bug TDI
as far as the limp mode and power loss-
yeah it probally is a bad MAF. Under warranty they should replace it free of charge. Good thing you took out the epsi and the Px panel, but also may want to reconnect the ccv as the dlr could throw a hissy fit when they see the elephant hose too.

your MAF readings sounded a little off
i think the range actual-specified is 230-340mg/stroke (400 is okay if youre chipped with Px panel) and ea. should be within +/- 40 mg of each other

and then up to 480mg actual after car has been idling a few minutes. But is it posible the MAF reading is off b/c the epsilonian was causing the problem? Did you take the readings before or after you disconnected epsi?

Good luck with the dealer. im out of my warranty period and am having a prob with my CAN bus (19)and instrument cluster (17) that is throwing a 18058 code and CEL that wont clear. Occasionally causes power loss and immobilizer malfunction. Looking for someone with a bentley for the 2000 beetle, for the procedure on checking instrument cluster and CAN bus...

KentSzabo

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks. I was thinking of reconnecting the CCV before the dealer visit. I did the VAG-COM EGR fix yesterday, so I guess a little oil mist wont hurt now.

KentSzabo

Veteran Member
TDI
I soldered the wire that used to have the Epsi hooked in, and after resetting codes now all I get is
35-00
Looks like a bad MAF sensor.

O

oly

Did a new MAF fix the "16485 MAF Sensor (G70) Implausible Signal 35-00" problem?

I'd like to know because I don't have any drivability symptoms but I got a CEL a few days ago and vag-com gave me:

"16485 - MAF sensor (G70): Implausible signal 35-10 ---Intermittent"

I don't have the Epsilonian device, but I did do the vag-com EGR mod at one time. This is a short history:

1. total miles: about 28k
2. added chip at about 27.7k
3. set adaptation block 3 to 33768 (EGR mod) at about 23k
4. replaced MAF with new TDI MAF at about 23k
5. cleaned intake manifold and EGR at about 23k
6. cleaned intercooler at about 22k
7. oil and filter changes every 5k with Delvac-1 and OEM filter