VAG-COM Features and Tips

KentSzabo

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2002, Mojave Beige Metallic
Is there any particular thread that mentions the various VAG-COM features and tips one can use to obtain the best performance from their TDI? I have recently acquired one, and had to do a search here just to find the EGR fix. It would be most convient to find these sort of things in one place.

colucci

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1998 Green
Go to the TDIFAQ. There are a lot of VAG-COM proceedures in there. It's sort of the reverse of what you're looking for - VAG-COM proceedures adter you decide what you want to do. Still, it's a huge help.

D'nardo

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
A4 Golf/Jetta Fuel gauge calibration:

1) Completely drain tank.
2) Add 7 liters (1.85 gallons).
3) Connect VAG-COM choose "17 - Instrument Cluster", "10 - Adaptation".
4) go to channel 30

(At least 60 seconds must pass between adding fuel and reading the gauge. Don't sit in the car when doing this. Car must be on a level surface.)

5) The value for adaptation can go as low as 120 and as high as 136. Change the value until the needle rests on the center of the red reserve demarcation.
6) Save and quit.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
You tip the car; float less accurate.

SCarroll

Veteran Member
Sitting in the car? These details are confusing, do we not sit in the car when reading the calibrated gauge? This reminds me of the often neglected crown built into the road for drainage, I have had the "oppertunity" to help out the many motorcyclists that all have asked, "Why do these tires wear out on the left side first?"
Can you please move to the center of the roadway when you have to check the FUEL level, so that you are again on a level surface? Not to forget that you must not be sitting in the car! This makes for a great image in the mind! I am glad the mileage is high enough to avoid the majority of the oncomming traffic.

T5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
T5 Transporter 2.5
This thread will do for now. Every time someone has a Vag-Com related issue they just can bump it up.

Has anyone else tried using the output tests to watch the extremes of the EGR exercised yet? I suppose not for you guys over there
Have you checked what happens to the duty EGR cycle post adaption? It's only possible on the latest Vag-Com version. You just run the output tests and whip back to 'Measuring Blocks' and watch what happens to the EGR duty cycle before the next test element starts. Mine is close to spec.

I emailed Uwe about this some time ago and he said he had disabled it (interuption of output tests that is) as he hadn't seen a call in a manual for it so far but would fix it in a future version and he's as good as his word :)

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
The Yahoo group I find really confusing, even if Uwe is on there. It makes more sense that it be a forum as part of tdiclub.com since it would be geared towards tdi owners and the questions, tweeks, and concerns we have. I just got my vag-com and think it would be great having a forum here. Since I understand that the Ross-Tech folks were at the TDI Fest, perhaps they could even be contributors to such a forum on Fred's.

T5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
T5 Transporter 2.5
If all interested parties keep posting all the Vag-Com related stuff here, we can build a good source of info for the future. If it gets enough consistant interest I'm sure Fred will notice.

The Vag-Com list is great, (I always read almost all of it)
but it will be of no interest to 98% of folks on this forum. (Wrong fuel)

Dan Clarke

Veteran Member
Hi,
I have been a member of the Yahoo TDI group for a long time. I have been unable to post there for over a year and cannot get Yahoo to care enough to reply to my plea for help. The problem is with all of my Yahoo groups. A very large part of the information on the Yahoo TDI group is not relevant to TDI cars.

A Freds TDI page Vag-com forum is long overdue.

Dan

VW Petrolero

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 Golf SW 1.8 TSI
I also would like to get a Vag-Com discussion area in Fred's Tdi Club page because that Yahoo page is not as good as Fred's and is also full of advertising.
So I hope Fred & Uwe reconsider it and they can establish it in here.
Thanks Tony