Vag-Com and Injection Timing on Golf TDi

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf MK6 1.6 TDI Bluemotion Match
Hi all.

To cut a long story short, I broke down on the road a couple of days back and got the car towed home (Golf 1.9TDI AHF Engine). I hooked it up to VAG and the timing had gone way out of spec, showed 255 on block 2(possibly slipped belt or not enough sprocket 3 bolt tightening).

To get it back into spec, I moved the belt a couple of teeth and fine adjusted using the 3 sprocket bolts. Now the VAG timing graph shows dead on 110/70 'about' (slightly advanced) but there is loads of white filthy smoke (not water) coming out of the exhaust, and car appears to run really roughly (like it's on 2 cylinders only).

My question is, if I moved the injection timing so far out of spec', can the timing look in spec on the timing graph in basic settings?

This is just before a commence the mammoth task (for me) of taking the valve cover off and checking all the other timings...

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
No it can't. If it goes too far off the car doesn't run and if it isn't running you can't check the timing.

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf MK6 1.6 TDI Bluemotion Match
MOGolf said:
No it can't. If it goes too far off the car doesn't run and if it isn't running you can't check the timing.
Thanks once again. I will gear myself up for checking all the other bits on my next day off from work :eek: