Vacuum lines

Akvwtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS 5 speed manual
Hey guys, so I had my jetta tore down recently and when I put everything back together I actually tried starting the car without some of the vacuum line connected and in the wrong place. It was sitting for a couple months with no start, so when it turned over it ran for a few then died out while choking. I hooked up the last of the lines but they were in the wrong place and took the car around the block but the brakes were not working. I got home and correctly put the vacuum lines on but now I have air in my brake lines. I'm curious if this is a hard problem to fix or do I just need to bleed my brakes.?

Thanks for any help.

Akvwtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Usually soft but sometimes it will stiffen up when pumping them. Inclines have an affect on it also. Coming down hills. I'm not sure..

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Right there ^^^^^ what Metal Man said!
Also, you could strip every vacuum hose off and throw them in a trash can, it would not affect the engine starting or idling .......... running properly down the highway, yes!

Akvwtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I did buy some vacuum lines from TDI upgrade.com I don't know if they're too tight but the car seems to run pretty great after cleaning the intake manifold/exhaust manifold, new egr and the vacuum lines but really there's alot of brake history here and now I have a abs and flashing brake light. Now I've seen online it could be battery related or sensors, modules, pumps you've mentioned or are you referring to a vacuum pump? Also could the abs lights to be triggered from a faulty ebrake?

I did recently replace the brakes in the back and a brake light started beeping days before they started making noise and scrapping.

but the brakes have been installed for weeks before this new symptom and now it will either trigger the lights sometimes when I turn the car on or driving.

Someone did wire a android tablet into this car and now that thing keeps shorting out and throwing the abs brakes lights.

Thanks if you can help 😂

Last edited:

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
There are only 3 reasons for a flashing brake light:

- E-brake is on while moving (or switch is broken so car thinks it is on).
- Low brake fluid level (or level sensor broken)
- Two simultaneous ABS system faults. In this case the ABS light will be on as well. VCDS is required to scan the ABS controller fault codes.

Akvwtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
It sounds like you have a lack of vacuum, either a leak or a bad pump.
My brakes have been doing this way before any lights started flashing but I believe I removed that booster line at the ripples when I did exhaust work and im wondering if that damaged the part/hose.. I could never get it seated fully only half way on. but would a rebuild kit fix my brake problems? Also a scan like P2B

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Those hard plastic hoses are prone to cracking on the inside radius that are hard to see.
I’ve swapped mine out with some heater hose….don’t remember the size almost 15 years ago with no issues…
I believe that part from vw is north of $70.00 when I last checked on it.
Also is the nipple loose on the vacuum pump? That’s also a usual suspect ( for vacuum leaks ) that can be sealed up with some high temp RTV.
I’ve got over 440,xxx on my vacuum pump with no issues other than a leaking nipple that was fixed with rtv…..I highly doubt that your pump is the problem……could be wrong …but I doubt it.
I would hook up a vacuum guage onto that side of the system while running and start moving things around…..I’ll bet you will find a couple of issues…..just my .02.

Akvwtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Those hard plastic hoses are prone to cracking on the inside radius that are hard to see.
I’ve swapped mine out with some heater hose….don’t remember the size almost 15 years ago with no issues…
Also is the nipple loose on the vacuum pump? That’s also a usual suspect ( for vacuum leaks ) that can be sealed up with some high temp RTV.
I’ve got over 440,xxx on my vacuum pump with no issues other than a leaking nipple that was fixed with rtv…..I highly doubt that your pump is the problem……could be wrong …but I doubt it.
I would hook up a vacuum guage onto that side of the system while running and start moving things around…..I’ll bet you will find a couple of issues…..just my .02.
That's awesome 440 lol. This silver part is definitely loose if that's what you're referring to..

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Yes it is….

Akvwtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
The RTV just put it on the base and cover the seal? How much and do I have to wait 24 hrs?

Last edited:

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Depending on temps…..maybe an hour….. if that…
Yeah just cover where the nipple is in the pump with a decent amount of rtv….

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI

braddies

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf ALH
Seems like peening the ridge over is the way to go, there's a little o-ring in the pump that the nipple pushes down onto to seal.
Just did this this weekend, took the pump off, put it in a wood clamp to (firmly) squeeze the nipple towards the pump before hammering around the perimeter of the ridge, good so far and didn't use rtv.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
😉😉 lol my repair took 5 minutes and no tools…..ands it’s been over 15 years with no issues…..

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nice !

Akvwtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I broke the nipple to the vaccum pump when I was leaning over the engine getting to the exhaust/intake manifold bolts and I found that out when I put everything back together and took the car around the block. Which was why my brakes were messed up I believe.

As for the bizarre abs lights flashing randomly that was from my alternator failing due to a seized clutched pulley from what I learned.

Last edited:

markdave

TDI
tdi 1.6
Hey guys, so I had my jetta tore down recently and when I put everything back together I actually tried starting the car without some of the vacuum line connected and in the wrong place. It was sitting for a couple months with no start, so when it turned over it ran for a few then died out while choking. I hooked up the last of the lines but they were in the wrong place and took the car around the block but the brakes were not working. I got home and correctly put the vacuum lines on but now I have air in my brake lines. I'm curious if this is a hard problem to fix or do I just need to bleed my brakes.?
Speed Test
Thanks for any help.
you could strip every vacuum hose off and throw them in a trash can, it would not affect the engine starting or idling .......... running properly down the highway, yes!

Last edited: