vacuum actuator on egr cooler bypass valve

22tunnel

TDI
Jetta
Hi everyone i have a 2004 jetta 1.9 bew and im looking for a vacuum actuator the that mounts and controls the egr cooler bypass flap its black in color and made of plastic vw says i have to buy the whole bypass valve they dont sell it byitself whats the deal any leads to find one would really help thanks steve:confused:

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
As far as I know you must buy the whole EGR cooler to get the bypass flap and vacuum actuator. Some people may have one from removing their EGR cooler. Also, there should be boatloads of these around since it is replaced as a unit when the M6 EGR cooler replacement is done at the dealer. You may just want to stop by the VW dealer shop some day and ask a mechanic if they will give you an old cooler.

There was some vendor selling the new OEM replacement coolers (with the bypass flap and actuator) for the BEW at some dirt cheap price of $50 or so a while back (there must have been too many made) and I forget who it was. That may be an option. It may have been Malone Tuning or Kerma TDI, not sure, though.

--Nate

mentaloaf

TDI
2005 VW Jetta Wagon 1.9L BEW
Hi everyone i have a 2004 jetta 1.9 bew and im looking for a vacuum actuator the that mounts and controls the egr cooler bypass flap its black in color and made of plastic vw says i have to buy the whole bypass valve they dont sell it byitself whats the deal any leads to find one would really help thanks steve:confused:
Hey did you ever solve this problem? I need the same exact thing and can't seem to find it anywhere. It seems like such a simple little piece. The tip of my control rod broke off, I tried to fabricate something to hold the valve flap but couldn't...Any luck?

gerardrjj

TDI
'04 Golf GL
Found the part

I was just recently replacing a cracked lower EGR pipe and noticed that both of the actuators for the EGR system were broken, one has just the connector end sheared off, the other the entire arm is gone. Other than what appears to be date codes the two parts are identical as far as I can test.
At ambient pressure the are fully extended and under vacuum they retract the same amount. The force to retract seems about the same from finger testing so if you we find one we've found both parts.
I've spent the morning searching and searching, complicated by the words "bypass" and "EGR" returning almost nothing but links to EGR delete/bypass kits; but I think I've found two sources:
http://www.idparts.com/intake-manifold-vacuum-actuator-a4-bew-p-4010.html
http://www.fixmyvw.com/egr-valve-actuator-for-alh-tdi/
ID Parts is at $63 now but includes the mounting bracket. Fix My VW is the bare part. They say ALH engine but their photo looks like the right thing.
These actuators twist-lock in to place so unless you lost or somehow damaged the mounting plate I don't see a need to get that new.
I'm ordering today and I'll report back whether they are match and operate as expected.
Below are the two broken actuators I've pulled from my '04 BEW.