v10 starts, sputters, dies

TDI
2001 Jetta 5 speed with eco tune, 2002 Jetta automatic .205 nozzles
So I'm tinkering with my cousins Touareg V10. Here's the back story... several years ago this vehicle was bought at a repo sale, so no history was available. It ran great for about 100 miles, ran out of power and died one day and has never run other than short fitful spurts since then. After both of the local VW stealerships had demonstrated their aptitude for parts replacing at great expense with no success we started tinkering with it ourselves. I didn't have VCDS back then so I was flying blind, both electric fuel pumps would run and as I recall we were somewhere around 60psi on a gauge(I could be wrong, its been several years) but for reasons I can't remember we decided the pumps at the back of the engine weren't working right so I pulled them (not a job for the faint of heart) and did indeed discover that one was scored up pretty bad inside. Some $$$ later and we had a new pump from VW but still wouldn't run.
That was about a year and a half ago now that I have VCDS I went back out to the shop tonight for the first time in a while scraped some of the dust off the old girl and plugged in... I got all kinds of wacky codes that are from unplugging relays and poking around but one or two look more serious so here is the list, tell me what you guys make of this...
17949-P1541 fuel pump relay (we were playing with it)
19456-P300 glow plug indicater light
17054-P0670 glow plug circuit ?
19791-P3335 module 1 for turbocharger, missing message ?
17055-P0671- glow plug 1
17057-P0673- glow plug3
18048-P1640-internal controll module, eprom error, this one scares me a bit
19794-P3338- glow plug circuit malfunction, we may have done this

There were an enormous number of codes from other systems that appear to be from the batteries dying and being replaced, many references to "terminal 30" such as under Address 05... "00087 Terminal 30 for starting relevant consumers 009- open or short to ground"
I saved and then erased the codes so hopefully we can trust any we have from here on, all I got out of a couple of starts was this...
18628-P2196-Oxygen sensor B1 S1 signal too high (rich)

There have been many attempts by two dealerships and several people to make this run, its high time to get to thee bottom of it.

TDI
By the way, this is a first generation V10, 2004 if I remember correctly.
It totally acts like its running out of fuel when it dies, starts right up and then just peters out. It just had the fuel filters replaced or I might be tempted to blame those.

RSMS

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
04 T-REG V-10 as a driver but too many others to list and always changing
Wow.....that sounds like it's gonna be fun. You might also try posting on the ""club touareg" forum Good Luck and keep us posted

VW/Porsche Fahrer

TDI
2012 Touareg Sport with Nav.
It sounds like the fuel pump or the fuel filter. If it were the glow plus it would not die while running. I think that model had the pump nozzles. The only other thing I can think of is that the injection timing is off.

TDI
I was kind of afraid someone might have the same suspicions I do. I'm headed up north for the weekend, I'll let you guys know what I discover when I get back.

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
My initial thought when reading the thread title, before you said you went through your list of attempted repairs, was the key may have been "deprogrammed" from the car and it was activating the immobilizer system, especially if the battery back up system is faulty.

The symptoms are exactly as you describe. Turns over, runs for 1 second and shuts off. Did you experience any other electrical glitches like the radio code needing to be reprogrammed to get the radio to work? It could also be mis-reading the alarm which may be registering a break in, and perhaps could have also activated the immobilizer system.

Short of that, I'd be tempted to agree with the CPU prognosis.

TDI
I wondered about the security system also, but I don't see any of the flashing key symbol happening. The other thing is the fact that it doesn't just start up and then shut off cleanly like the computer switched it off, it slowly sputters to death. And the length of time it will run is not consistent, sometimes it will run for ten seconds and at other times it won't do anything but cough a few times, it acts like it runs a shorter time with each attempt until it will hardly run at all, then you leave it sit a while and its back to a longer run period again.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Have you measured fuel pressure while running? Does the pressure drop out, causing the sputtering and subsequent stall? Or does the pressure stay high?

TDI
Fuel pressure is on my hit list, I have checked it not running but the goobers at vw decided to build an engine with no pressure access ports so its a pain to check running. I will have to tee into a line.

Sputterputz

Vendor
TDI
03 TDI reflex
I am a relative of the uncle the OP posted. I bought the v10 from my uncle. Long story short the vanes on the turbo seized and closed off the exhaust passage. It was choking to death. 2 new turbos and a Malone tune and I've put 7k miles on it. Love it.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Huzzah! Glad you got it figured out and fixed. :)