V-10 Toureg spotted

dogbreath

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Jetta Sequoia Green
Driving to work this AM and came up on a V-10 TDI Toureg tooling along West bound on I-10 in Phoenix. Good to see they are coming along with the introduction (It had Manufacturer plates, there is a VW test facility East of Phoenix)

gredi

Veteran Member
I can't remember who, but someone had posted a while back that there weren't any in the states yet...

I do not agree. If they are to be introduced in the spring, I would think there are quite a few being run on our garbage fuel to see how they perform.

If you get a chance, post a pic for the naysayers.

Cheshire Cat

Veteran Member
TDI
ibiza.130/skoda Octy4x4
as my previous post never showed up here is some more Touareg news, a 2.5 litre, straight 5 cylinder pd giving approx174 horses and 400Nm of torque, balancer shaft alloy sump and "plasma coated surfaces to reduce wear" what-ever that is.

jchagtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 2 door 6M
400NW puts the 2.5's tourque rating just shy of the 4.2 V8 gasser. I think the 174 HP will make the truck a bit wheezy for US/Canadian tastes. Of course, these are just numbers. I never thought I'd find a 90HP car so satisfying to drive..... /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

gredi

Veteran Member
The 2.5 TDI and the 5.0 TDI use a plasma sprayed running film on the cylinder walls. This allows the use of an aluminum block without the need for iron sleeves. According to VW, this is the first time this process has been used in a diesel engine.

gredi

Veteran Member
The big difference is where the torque peak occurs on each engine. The 2.5 TDI is at 2000 RPM and the 4.2 V8 is at 3000 RPM. Like you have found out with your 1.9 TDI, HP ratings are deceptive when it is matched with a large amount of torque.

The 4.7 V-8 in my wife's Durango has a torque peak at 3,200 RPM. I cringe when I have to wind it up that much to get max torque when we are hanging on the side of a goat trail at the 10k foot level of a mountain. I would much rather have that torque at a lower RPM.

austegard

TDI
wishing for a V6 TDI in the US...
given the obvious difference in gearing between your durango and the touareg (or any diesel, really), does the rpm really matter? torque at a given wheelspeed is going to be the same, right?

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
[ QUOTE ]
austegard said:
given the obvious difference in gearing between your durango and the touareg (or any diesel, really), does the rpm really matter? torque at a given wheelspeed is going to be the same, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh.... kinda.

But kinda no.

When you're dealing with an automatic tranny, especially a truck one with a column mounted shifter (if I remember the Durrango I drove), you don't always get to decide which torque multiplier the computer is going to use, and when.

The VW has it's torque available almost immediatly off idle. The Durrango needs to find it.

gredi

Veteran Member
I do not have any transmission gear ratios for the V10 Touareg but, I do know what the drive axles ratios are for both SUV's. The V10 Touareg is 3.27 and my Durango is 3.55. Not a whole lot of difference. I am looking to find the trans ratios for the V10 so I can do an apples to apples comparo for this part of the discussion.

Be back in awhile. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
How can an east coaster like myself get involved with vw testing of new products? I'd love to test the v10 toureg, as I will buy one when they are available.(despite having absolutely no need for one) Someone hook me up .....please! /images/graemlins/cool.gif