Using oil, not sure why. replaced clogged particulate filter... Also filter "delete"?

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Do you do your own work or have a Hunterdon region mechanic rec? I mainly use dealer, I must admit. I'm handy in many ways but cars are not one of those ways.
I do some of the smaller things on my own when I have the time (bulbs, oil changes, wiper linkage, glow plugs, door latch), but more complex jobs (timing belts) or things that go easier with a lift (no room in garage, driveway not level) I use Cregar's Garage on West Main Street. in High Bridge. It's a small shop and they're not on the "Gurus/Trusted" list, but John (the owner) knows his stuff, and I've been more than happy with his work since I started going to him several years (and about 200,000 miles) ago. He's not a VW-only shop either - he'll work on just about anything, so if you have more than the VW in your "fleet", he can handle any of it.

Also, Hskrdu gave an excellent overview of VCDS. I've had mine since 2006 (unfortunately, the cable I have doesn't support the newer protocols needed for your car, the ones they sell currently do), and while I've barely scratched the surface of what it can do, I've had no problem figuring out for myself how to do several things, which has more than justified the money I spent buying it:

- fault code scans
- match new remote to car (power locks part, not immobilizer part)
- adjust IQ (fueling parameter for the older ALH motors)
- alter the "mode" of my automatic trans to better suit personal preferences (the older/"infamous" 01M)
- view injection timing (another ALH thing)

and probably a couple others I can't remember. Figuring it out wasn't hard, and Ross-Tech has an "online manual" for VCDS on their site that works by letting you click through a mockup of the VCDS GUI.

Last edited:

Brynildsen

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
@Brynildsen
The system is fully autonomous and doesn't really require anything from you as a driver when everything works as it should.
If and when a component fails, or driving conditions & patterns are not conducive to proper operation, the system starts "failing".
You really are only required to take "a drive" as per my post above, once you get a warning lamp.
If you want to be "proactive", then you can go for a cruise once in a while in order to avoid getting said lamp.
If you want to keep an eye on things, then you get a monitor\gauge to keep an eye on the different parameters (but once again, this info is only useful if you have some understanding of the system and how it functions) and this can certainly help you avoid interrupting an active regen, or to make some adjustments to your use pattern in order to "optimize" operation.

Based on what you've posted, I would say a monitor is sufficient for your existing needs.
Gotcha. You all have given me a jump start in learning about this. (The manual isn't exactly in-depth on this subject) Sounds like I've learned a lot and learned that I'm probably fine as long as I 'go for a drive' with relative frequency. And I'll get the doohicky and free/$5 app to start following along and learning more, I suppose.

Thanks for all of this!

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Gotcha. You all have given me a jump start in learning about this. (The manual isn't exactly in-depth on this subject) Sounds like I've learned a lot and learned that I'm probably fine as long as I 'go for a drive' with relative frequency. And I'll get the doohicky and free/$5 app to start following along and learning more, I suppose.

Thanks for all of this!

This is what I use, if you have amazon its cheap as well with VAGDPF. (check with the free app to make sure vehicle is supported before buying full version.)

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
Brynildsen as far as the quart oil loss you mentioned have you tried changing the pcv valve? if answer is yes then use half of a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil in the engine oil 2.000 miles before changing your oil its a creeper kind of oil that has excellent creep charateristics will loosen up varnished piston oil control rings slowly. worked on my snow blower at freeing up the rings and stopped oil consuption its good stuff.!

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I'm not knocking your mystery oil, but a snowblower is nothing like a modern CR engine....

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
rings on pistons have not changed in 100 years there similer in its a piston with rings that can varniish up & not expand to make a good seal.
From the manufacturer's site
ADDED TO FUEL: At every fill-up add 4 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil to every 10 gallons of diesel. An average passenger car tank is 15 gallons, so you would add 6 ounces at every fill-up. Regular use can lead to improved fuel economy.

Not for use in diesel fuel in engines manufactured after 2007.

Brynildsen

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Mine is a 2011 TDI. So maybe no marvel mystery oil. I do remember my uncle talking about that stuff. I AM a bit hesitant to add cleaners and stuff to an older engine. Mechanics have warned against... Some of that gook might be holding oil in, in a good way. I believe is the thinking, right? Anyway, appreciate all the insights.

I'm not too tech/mech savvy but my understanding (based on this other post https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/pcv-valve.10383/ ) is that I don't have a pcv valve, I have a ccv fitting that should never really need to be replaced. maybe cleaned out.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
The CCV puck on an ALH like mine isn't exactly a complex piece of kit (and you can't open it up and clean it), but I had one clog up once and blow a valve cover gasket. I also just replaced one this weekend because I think I stressed the last one when I put it on and caused a small combustion gas leak (smelling a puff here and there when not moving), and I had noticed a little bit of oil weep around the grommet it goes into. if it looks like you have shiny black goo running down the engine from your CCV, might be worth having it replaced anyway just to be sure.

For my ALH, the three parts (grommet, CCV valve, connector tube to intake tract) totaled $25 shipped from IDParts.com - CR versions might be a little more (especially now).

The oil has to be going somewhere - my ALH at 449K miles only uses maybe 1/2 to 3/4 qt every 10-11K miles, and that's with a very slight valve cover weep. At 96K, yours shouldn't really be using any at all. Maybe have your mechanic check to make sure it's not ending up in your intercooler, just to be safe?

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Yes. The tool will allow you to see/monitor the process. Android only for VAGDPF. Looks like this.

I have an old android phone I use just for this. VCDS as well for other things. When soot mass gets about 24 it will start a regen. It will run until it gets down in the single digits usually when let run to completion, from my experience. About 10 minutes to complete at speed. If one starts I jut go up the Interstate 5 minutes then return. If you know when they are about to happen you can plan around them mostly. A healthy emissions system will more than likely last longer and do better than the driver not being aware at all of its workings and status. Information is power. They usually happen about every 200+ miles normally, maybe more often if short tripping. There are more than one set of criteria for determining when one is needed. Use the trial version first to ensure it works for you before paying the small fee for the open app. I have no connection to the app in any way, just like it.
Thanks Lightflyer1. I have, a new to me, 2015 Passat. Have you done, by any chance, a manual regen using VCDS?

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
From the manufacturer's site
Good feedback regarding Marvel Mystery not suitable for CR TDIs 👍

OP, do some research on pros/cons of post-2007 manufactured approved diesel additives as a potential preventative maintenance option. PM me if you would like.