using biodiesel

mkosem

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDi
I run a tank of B100 every couple months in my 01 Golf. No problems whatsoever.

--Matt

ikendu

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Indigo Blue
I have an '03 Golf and have used B100 for over a year (almost continuously).

Works great!
If your climate dips below 32F...you'll need to winterize B100.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
Matt, please fill out your personal info so that we know where you are. People in your area can help you find some biodiesel.

I've been running biodiesel since my car was a baby (600 miles). I have run all blends, from pure B100 to B-zero. If I averaged it out, I've probably run 15% over the life of the car.

ikendu

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Indigo Blue
How do you do that? What additives are out there and where do you find them?
Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement (DFS...@ Walmart in the "White Bottle") is one such supplement. What I did last winter was blend with winterized, retail petroleum diesel (yuch! hated every drop I had to mix in).

This is one area I wish there WAS some Gov't research being conducted...good strains or formulations of biodiesel for winter fuel use. The best I've seen so far is virgin canola oil reacted with ethanol (a tricky reaction to get right) but gels 20 degrees lower than soy oil reacted with methanol (ADM produces this in Europe for winter fuel use...but not here in the U.S.).

RichC

Veteran Member
TDI
Others: 82 MB 300D Turbodiesel & 2010 BMW X5 35D
How do you do that? What additives are out there and where do you find them?
Probably one of the better additives is by PowerService and is call Artic Express Biodiesel Anti-gel.
From product literature:
"Arctic Express Biodiesel Antigel is the most effective antigel available for treatment of biodiesel fuel. It provides better Cold-Filter Plugging Point (CFPP) and Pour Point performance than a blend of 20 percent biodiesel, 30 percent No. 2 diesel fuel and 50 percent No. 1 diesel fuel. Additionally, it keeps fuel-filters from plugging with wax and prevents fuel gelling without the need to blend."

Kaufmann

Veteran Member
Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement (DFS...@ Walmart in the "White Bottle") is one such supplement. What I did last winter was blend with winterized, retail petroleum diesel (yuch! hated every drop I had to mix in).
So any winter diesel treatment will work? I thought you might have to use a special BD treatment for B100.

ikendu

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Indigo Blue
Probably one of the better additives is by PowerService and is call Artic Express Biodiesel Anti-gel.
I experimented with both DFS and the BD Anti-gel from PS last winter. PS had told me that the two formulations were "similar" but not absolutely identical. I found that DFS seemed to work about as well and was commonly available (I couldn't find ANY retail source for the BD anti-gel). PS actually sent me a small bottle for my tests.

There is an entire forum devoted to winter BD over on BiodieselNow.

RichC

Veteran Member
TDI
Others: 82 MB 300D Turbodiesel & 2010 BMW X5 35D
I also do read most of what is posted over at biodieselnow.com and have a great deal of respect for several of those pushing biodiesel cold weather use to the edge. What I have come away from digesting the testing, etc over the past couple of years is that not all biodiesel (commercial included) has the same cold weather characteristics. Additives and antigels can only do so much and the most sound advices is 'user beware' in cold weather.

My brother-in-law works for a chemical company that produces many of the additive that are sold to oil companies and often sold and then packaged for the consumer additive markets too. He surmised that there is more of a difference in 'marketing' than in the actual product ... although I'm sure in development testing in laboratory conditions that each has been tweaked for a specific product.

MattCrawford

TDI
VW TDI 2003
I live in Lexington, Kentucky. Haven't had much luck locating biodiesel that a distributor can sell for a car, i.e. small amounts. Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Matt

MattCrawford

TDI
VW TDI 2003
Thanks, I've filled it out. I live in Lexington, Ky. and have talked to one Oil Co. that has biodiesel but is about 40 min outside town. Plus they sell it in bulk. Thanks for all the responses. I'm very eager to do this!

Typrus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black Jetta Sedan GLS/TDI 5mt
Just a thought, but you could buy maybe a 50-100 gallon fuel container made for diesel and buy a large amount of biodiesel. Buying in bulk usually saves you plus you could just fuel up at home. Just a thought.