using additives with the missfuel guard in place

solman1

TDI
14 Jetta TDI-DSG-Prem.
This is probably a stupid newby question. I have the car only two weeks so bear with me. I wanted to add some power service to the tank but with the missfuel guard in place I couldn't get the flap to open. I don't want to remove it as this is a leased car. Is there an adapter commonly available or some other funnel modification that some of you use? Also I figure I'm better off with this guard in place so VW can't claim I tampered which led to a problem.

Hodor73

TDI
2014 Golf
The guard isn't fuel tight. I put the funnel flush to the guard and pour the additive in prior to fueling. No issues.

I've have my Golf for only a month and I had the same concern at first.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
This is probably a stupid newby question. I have the car only two weeks so bear with me. I wanted to add some power service to the tank but with the missfuel guard in place I couldn't get the flap to open. I don't want to remove it as this is a leased car. Is there an adapter commonly available or some other funnel modification that some of you use? Also I figure I'm better off with this guard in place so VW can't claim I tampered which led to a problem.
Cheap and works great no more to say.http://idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2418

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I just use regular funnel. The flap doesn't open, but the additive will go right in through the hole in the center and around the edges.

It's not a stupid question we have all been there.

vedubbmk6

TDI
2013 golf
I use a adaptor from the dealer for older different size pumps. It does open the guard and no chance of spill. It was like 10 bucks.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
I have two things that work:

1. A 4 or 5 oz. "El Yucuteca" (spelling error?) hot sauce bottle. It's glass, but holds an appropriate amount of Power Service, and is exactly the right diameter to push the misfuel guard in.

2. A $1.50 black funnel from Home Depot; I found it hanging in the power equipment (lawn equipment) aisle. The funnel part was much higher/longer on one side. The spout tapered, so I cut that off so that it disables the misfuel guard.

PassatSE4me

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
You don't need a funnel or anything else to push the guard out of the way. Just slowly pour in whatever you want. I use an 8oz plastic squeeze bottle with the cap removed.

solman1

TDI
14 Jetta TDI-DSG-Prem.
Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it.
That adapter looks like something worth having. For now I can just pour it slow and let it go down to the tank.

PassatSE4me

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
I bought the adapter too, though I haven't used it yet. It's in the trunk in case I'm ever in a situation where the only available pump nozzle is the bigger one. It would work well for adding additives I suppose but there's no need to use it for that.

najel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5 speed
I use a nail polish bottle. It's 8 oz so world well for the double dose for Minnesota winters.
My car does not have the guard but the neck of that bottle is the same size as a diesel nozzle so it 'should'fit right in.