Used TDI's reliability?

Snosport

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat
Been away from the website for a few years after selling my 2004 Passat TDI. I am seeing a lot of the TDI's that were bought back after the emissions scandal back on the market. Are these good vehicles? Or should they be avoided? Specifically interested in the Passat and Touareg TDI models

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Reliable compared to what? I consider the B5.5 the most repair-prone of that era TDIs. Will a newer one incur more repair events? Hard to say. The NMS Passats have had some post-fix issues, especially the 12-14 ones (the 15s have different engines). Turbos, heater core issues, some injector issues, water pump leaks (not that common) and issues with emissions related components. Good news is everything I mention is covered under the emissions warranty, if you find a car that's still under warranty (most are).

There's less data available on the Touareg, since there are fewer around. What I've heard is the drivetrain is pretty robust, save some folks having driveability complaints post-fix. Just keep in mind the Touareg is a more complex vehicle with more features, so the opportunity for items to break is greater.

Having said all that, I wouldn't hesitate to buy either because both vehicles are superior in some ways to gasoline powered cars out there. But you're not going to have a Toyota or Honda like ownership experience. Odds are, you didn't with your B5.5 either.

HochdruckTDI16

TDI
2004 Passat BHW
Welcome back Snosport, same here. I had my BHW fail me coming back over Cascades in 2018. I had just spent $ 2700.00 For 2nd TB and other PMs. So sad to have to give up. 182K Miles and roughly $36K in repairs over the life of ownership. I’ve been in the market since then for a newer TDI but can’t see the cost benefit ratio anymore with a VW. My son recently found and bought a B5.5 BHW and im already seeing him out money in Tandem Pump, CV boots, and a mystery oil leak. The hourly rate at dealerships has gone way up and I don’t see a lack of available work happening after picking his car up yesterday...

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
Sounds like you had some bad luck- Added up all the DIY repairs (stuff that broke) and preventive maintenance on my A4 ALH in 155,000 miles and it totals a bit under $5K. That includes tires, batteries, etc.. Even if I'd had the work done at a dealership the cost would be under $10K. Most of the repairs are not unique to TDIs or VW group cars- After 10 years and 100,000 miles any car is going to need brakes, struts, exhaust, and a couple rounds of tires and batteries.