Used Oil - Ottawa

microwave

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue
Where in Ottawa can you dispose of used motor oil?

I use to drop it off at my local Canadian Tire but there not taking it anymore???

BlueKnight

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Silver
Maybe try your local waste management site. Here in Waterloo they accept the used oil and filter along with any other fluids you drain and burn them or whatever they do.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Here in York Region (just north of Toronto) there are regular waste depots, and 'hazzardous waste' depots. Those places accept oil, paint cans, unused fuel, etc. Heck, I just went there this weekend to drop off some old computer stuff (electronics recycling).

GuyGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Comfortline DSG
I just went to this little garage down the road, asked them how much it would be to empty my 20L of oil, $2 he says....I gave him $5.

Made my day.

any garage should be able to help you for a small fee.

Smog

Registered Vendor
TDI
Jetta4 1999.5
Where in Ottawa can you dispose of used motor oil?

I use to drop it off at my local Canadian Tire but there not taking it anymore???
filter it and drop it in your full fuel tank; it's an excellent fuel for a TDI

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
As TorontoVento said, here in Toronto, there are "hazardous waste" depots all over town... (I go to the one in the old port).

I'd be surprised if Ottawa doesn't have one for old paint, computers, you name it...

Yuri.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
I hope my local Canadian Tire does'nt remove their bin. I donate regularly in fairly large quantities!

MacGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta, black
The hazardous waste depot here in ST Thomas charges to take used oil, as does WalMart.
I donate mine to a local garage/wrecking yard that heats with a waste oil furnace, they're glad to take it for free so long as you don't mix in water & antifreeze & other contaminates like that.

Smog

Registered Vendor
TDI
Jetta4 1999.5
The hazardous waste depot here in ST Thomas charges to take used oil, as does WalMart.
I donate mine to a local garage/wrecking yard that heats with a waste oil furnace, they're glad to take it for free so long as you don't mix in water & antifreeze & other contaminates like that.
it will also burn in a hot air furnace; an up to 20% mix will not clog anything.

MacGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta, black
it will also burn in a hot air furnace; an up to 20% mix will not clog anything.
Beginning to think I should have kept my oil furnace, not too many choices once you're on natural gas

I wonder if there are any other VW dealerships like this one in York PA that burn waste oil too?

cptdi

TDI
06 jetta tdi shadow blue
hey microwave, where in Ottawa are you at? I can probably find someone near you to take your oil. Otherwise there's the Trail Road in the west end who take waste oil, paint etc.

microwave

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue
I am south of Ottawa.

I will check a the local waste management depot and see if they take it.

I like Smog's idea of burning it in my tank but don't want to cause fuel system problems...is anyone doing this?

cptdi

TDI
06 jetta tdi shadow blue
I don't know anybody doing this and being in Canada where it gets pretty cold, if I screwed up the furnace my wife would kill me. I personally wouldn't take any chances. I have a customer on 31 who burns waste oil. I'll take to him today and PM you later.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
I'm not sure the Trail Road Waste Facility will take used motor oil - I think they'd prefer it went to one of the "Take it Back" community partners.

I dump my used oil in 4L washer fluid jugs. Then, when the wife says "are you going to do something with all this oil?", I usually take it to Canadian Tire, but haven't made a trip in a couple of years.

I'm a bit surprised Cdn Tire won't take it... did you try other locations? I've also dumped some at Mr. Lube locations, but that was many years ago, before a new Cdn Tire became more convenient.

gdunn

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2k, Green, Auto: Jetta 2003, Black, Manual
This is probably an urban legend, but I had heard that (in Canada) if a business sold motor oil, then they are required to accept used motor oil for proper disposal--free of charge. Most places won't "advertise" this...

Like others have said, most municipalities have a free drop off day for this kind of stuff. I save mine up for a regular spring dump/hazardous material run. The only cost is my time and a bit of fuel.

Smog

Registered Vendor
TDI
Jetta4 1999.5
Beginning to think I should have kept my oil furnace, not too many choices once you're on natural gas
I burn 50% hydraulic oil/ATF fluid in a hot air furnace; the only mod is a small heater (400W) on the oil line between the high pressure pump and the nozzle. The oil is at 100C before atomisation.

without heater, 20% is fine

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=45037&item=7506241011&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WDVW

next step is to get a oil stove; put a heater on the carburator (constant oil level device) et burn used canola oil

http://www.kumastoves.com/oil_stoves.html