Used AC today, now car won't start

millere5815

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Been using my AC yesterday and today. Drove the car around for about 20 miles, then stopped at the store. Went to leave, and the starter only clicks. All lights, windows, and everything else seem to work, but wouldn't start. Had my brother hook up jumpers, and it started right up. Drive it the 1 mile home and it won't start. With the car on the OBD voltage is only messuring 11.4, and it is usually at 13.2 minimum. Did my alternator just take a dump, or is this something else caused by other things. It is 80 outside, very humid and raining on and off. Had this car for almost exactly a year and it has never left me stranded like that.

Chris

Veteran Member
Get it started when you can and throw a voltmeter across the battery terminals.
If it's much less than 14 V you probably have an alternator problem.
It is possible for the battery to fail suddenly so proceed with caution.

millere5815

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Alternator is dead. Only putting out 11 volts with nothing electronic running. running the AC didn't help. with the battery hooked up I was seeing 12.5, but once I turned on the AC it dropped to 11.8

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GLS 5 speed
I changed the brush pack out on my alternator. That fixed the charging problem in less than an hour. On my to do list was alternator bearing replacement. Probably on that list for a year or two. When the alternator bearings seized up and started a small fire that took a bit more time to fix. Preventative maintenance suggests replacing the alternator bearings when you do the new brushes/voltage regulator.

millere5815

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Sorry for the late update. Turns out it wasn't the alternator. The large wire/fuse S177 was broken and causing the car to not charge.

Strykeviper

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5 speed swap, 2002 Jetta Wagon, 2015 Passat SEL, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen
Now to find out what caused the fuse to blow...

curtludwig

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2005 Golf
If the fuse blows again eventually is now. If you keep replacing fuses expect at some point for the car to catch fire...