Used 03 Jetta, Delo 15/40

BHaner

TDI
None
I am looking at a 2003 Jetta with 90k miles.

The seller just informed me that the dealer they have had doing the oil changes indicated on the reciepts that they were using Delo 15/40 motor oil.

I know that synthetic oils are required on these motors, and that there are piston ring and turbo issues if you dont.

My question is... Is there any way to check for damage?

Or is this just gonna be a coin toss as to if it is going to drop dead on me in the next few miles....

Walk away or take a chance...

Last edited:

BHaner

TDI
None
What can I look for under the valve cover?

Also, the seller told me the injection pump went out last year and was replaced... Is this a common issue?

Timing belt was replaced at the same time.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
BHaner said:
What can I look for under the valve cover?

Build up, surfaces less than perfectly clean

Also, the seller told me the injection pump went out last year and was replaced... Is this a common issue?

No. A pump in a car that's been properly cared for will last the life of the vehicle.

Timing belt was replaced at the same time.
Sigh. Here comes the rest of the story :eek:

Are you looking at any other candidates :)

BHaner

TDI
None
LOL! Yep!

But it is hard to find a used TDI that has any record of the oil used.

At least this one I know what has been done...

I would guess that the pump went out because the fuel filter was not changed? What else can cause issues?

Seller wants 13,500. It's loaded, 90k miles.

Seller says rear brakes need to be replaced...

Thinking it may only be worth 10k. :( Doubt they will take that.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The car must have a spotless history to make that price point. You've raised a whole passel of red flags with this one.

FWIW, the Delo is a very good oil, but it doesn't meet any TDI requirements. Furthermore, the VE engine is less sensitive to oil specifics compared to the PD cars. So, that's a minor benefit.

I still don't like to see cars that have failed to follow the most basic requirements set forth by the mfr....it's indicative of neglect and other problems that may soon be revealed.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd like to hear a lot more about the logic in replacing an IP in a nearly-new car (alarm bells sounding) before I suggest a price. People don't replace IPs for laughs. What really happened?

Kier

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Limited Diesel Edition, DSG, Reflex Silver/Anthracite
BHaner said:
I am looking at a 2003 Jetta with 90k miles.

The seller just informed me that the dealer they have had doing the oil changes indicated on the reciepts that they were using Delo 15/40 motor oil.

I know that synthetic oils are required on these motors, and that there are piston ring and turbo issues if you dont.

My question is... Is there any way to check for damage?

Or is this just gonna be a coin toss as to if it is going to drop dead on me in the next few miles....

Walk away or take a chance...
By By Turbo.

TDI
2004 golf
Ok, the engine isnt gonna be ruined by delo, its like folks think delo is like using water... delo is a very good oil, as long as the car wasnt used in a cold climate, chances are its just fine, lots of pickuptruck and semis, with turbodiesel motors, that are pushed hard, use delo all the time.

dabear95

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS, Silver
With engines designed for the oil with different flow reuirments, internal passages, etc. I'm of the mind to keep looking.

If they can't follow the simple directions what about everything else...

Jason

BHaner

TDI
None
Revolutionary_mind said:
Ok, the engine isnt gonna be ruined by delo, its like folks think delo is like using water... delo is a very good oil, as long as the car wasnt used in a cold climate, chances are its just fine, lots of pickuptruck and semis, with turbodiesel motors, that are pushed hard, use delo all the time.
Exactly. I use it in my dodge cummins... But I also have more piston cooling.

I doubt it will hurt the turbo though. There is nothing special about the VW turbo that I am aware of.

LarryLymb

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI Wagon 2003 Mojave Beige, 5 speed
My IP was replaced at 30k miles under warranty, only fuel temp sensor went bad. Others had same problem. How often was that oil changed?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
The wrong oil is probably less of an issue than whether all the necessary parts were replaced when the timing belt was done. So it would be negligent if this was not redone very soon after purchase.

If you pay what the seller wants, then you will very soon have $14.5k or $15k tied up in this 5- or 6-year-old Jetta. Not a good deal.

Walk away or get the price down to under $11k.