2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Right-click, Save Picture As...

Great chart! :cool:

Right-clicked, Saved Picture As! :cool:

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I'd love it if someone could help me put together a Canada version. I know it gets complicated with the City Jetta and whatnot.

97pssat04golfTDIs

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat GLS TDI traded in, 2004 Golf GLS, 2004 Passat GLS Sold in Nov. 2012
An FYI ... I think you missed one red line for a model change on the Golf from the Mark V to the Mark VI in between 2009 and 2010 I think. Great chart very helpful to see all of the transmissions offered etc.

Drew

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
Were there any '05 Jetta Sedans built on the A4 platform? I know the wagon carried the A4 platform into 2005, don't recall seeing any sedans though.

Also, I assume you're just not worrying about body changes that didn't affect the TDI lines? ie MKV to MKVI Golf, handful of Passat Changes...

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
An FYI ... I think you missed one red line for a model change on the Golf from the Mark V to the Mark VI in between 2009 and 2010 I think. Great chart very helpful to see all of the transmissions offered etc.

Drew
I believe that there was no MK5 TDI Golf sold in the US in 2009 (unless you are talking about the Golf Variant - called a Jetta Sportwagen in the US). Therefore, the red line is not needed.

Have Fun!

Don

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Nice work, but I would add that 96-99 Mark III Jetta used VE injection tech, but an ancient WG turbo, whereas Mark IV Jetta used VE with VNT turbo.

So I'd use: engine code/Injection type/turbo type

Example: AHU/VE/Wastegate

You can build these tables fast by making a table in Excel of the different things and use the & command to join strings of names together.

cells:
A1.....A2...........A3
AHU...VE Pump...Wastegate

and in your table enter this command string into cell D5 lets say:

=A1&"/"&A2&"/"&A3

Cell D5 will then show AHU/VE Pump/Wastegate

Then you can drag it down and auto-populate different columns/rows of your chart, with appropriate usage of the lock sign ($) where needed.

axnels2

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta sportswagen
I like the spreadsheet but was wondering if you can add transmission types since there seems to be a wide variety of auto transmissions some good, many bad.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Were there any '05 Jetta Sedans built on the A4 platform? I know the wagon carried the A4 platform into 2005, don't recall seeing any sedans though.

Also, I assume you're just not worrying about body changes that didn't affect the TDI lines? ie MKV to MKVI Golf, handful of Passat Changes...
Yes, I have seen a few 2005 BEW MK4 Jettas. 05 was a split year like 99.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Nice work, but I would add that 96-99 Mark III Jetta used VE injection tech, but an ancient WG turbo, whereas Mark IV Jetta used VE with VNT turbo.

So I'd use: engine code/Injection type/turbo type

Example: AHU/VE/Wastegate

You can build these tables fast by making a table in Excel of the different things and use the & command to join strings of names together.

cells:
A1.....A2...........A3
AHU...VE Pump...Wastegate

and in your table enter this command string into cell D5 lets say:

=A1&"/"&A2&"/"&A3

Cell D5 will then show AHU/VE Pump/Wastegate

Then you can drag it down and auto-populate different columns/rows of your chart, with appropriate usage of the lock sign ($) where needed.
The chart was intended for someone who has no clue what the difference is between a wastegate and a vnt so I didn't bother with those details. I can always create a detailed version. Thanks for the excel tips.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
There were a few model year 2007 Jetta TDI imported late in calendar year 2006, before the emissions regulations change went into effect on 1/1/07.

Oh!, and Touareg V-10....
Anything to avoid that break between '06 and '09.

And more!
The 1998 B5 Passat VE manuals... Both, (or all three) of those cars are omitted.

It never ends!
Were there really any A3 TDI imported in 1996? I've heard rumors of a single (or two) 1996 Golf TDI, and rumors of a few 1996 Jetta TDI, but I've not heard of a positive confirmation of a "T" vin A3 TDI.

Last edited:

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
as far as I know, in the USA, there were no MK3 Golf TDI's... Only Jettas... We didn't get any B5 TDI passats either, not until the B5.5 in 2004.. Canada might be a different story.. I, and a lot of others, would have been all over a 98 Passat TDI 5-speed...

I have a few customers with 1996 model year Jetta TDIs...

I know about the few 07's imported before the regs took effect, but they were 2006 model year cars if I remember correctly..

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
yeah, if there were only 2 in existence, that doesn't count as a vehicle being available... My truck is one of 52 for 1994, but it was only because nobody really ordered a 2 door full size blazer with a diesel.. It was offered all the way up until 2000 or so in the 2 door trucks, just wasn't popular..

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
52? I knew they were rare but I didn't realize how rare. Wow.

I suppose V10 Treg sales were around that number too :D

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I know about the few 07's imported before the regs took effect, but they were 2006 model year cars if I remember correctly..
Their VINs have a '7' in the year position, and they have a build date sticker of 2006.
They are model year 2007 cars built in 2006. They met the requirements "in effect on the date of manufacture".

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Their VINs have a '7' in the year position, and they have a build date sticker of 2006.
They are model year 2007 cars built in 2006. They met the requirements "in effect on the date of manufacture".
Is there anyone on here that has a 2007 golf/Jetta TDI in the USA? I'd REALLY like to see one...

edit.. I would like to see a legit 2007 TDI golf/Jetta VIN, not really the whole car (that would be nice too)... I can verify VIN authenticity here at work.. I can't look up parts for a 2007 Jetta or golf with a diesel of any kind on any of the software(s) that we have..

Last edited:

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Bump for updates. I didn't have a lot of time so some of the detailed info is just placeholders...please feel free to help me fill those in. ;)

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Bump for updates. I didn't have a lot of time so some of the detailed info is just placeholders...please feel free to help me fill those in. ;)
A few minor updates and/or corrections (you might want to double check on these to make sure I am correct).

I believe that the Jettas switched to the CJAA (CR2) in 2010 (only 2009 Jetta had a CBEA (CR1))

However, I have been told that the Audi A3s stuck with the CBEA (CR1) engine (I do not know why). I also do not think that there was a US Audi A3 TDI in 2009 (they started in 2010 model year).

Thanks for creating this handy chart.

Have Fun!

Don