US-Canada price difference

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
So the price difference for a top of the line 2011 Jetta TDi is $3945.00 this includes the NAV unit as well, weird for some reason NAV unit in Canada is 890$ and 1200$ US, (US inludes the KESSY) in the NAV package as well.

Canada gets 17" wheels, US only gets the 16" wheels with no option of upgrade to 17's, well atleast on their site that is.

I think US includes the 3yrs warranty and maintenance, Canada is 4yrs Warranty and no maintenance. Having said that will this be worth a trip to the south to get one? I'm also wondering if VW is going to be denying the warranty for US cars in Canada like the 09-10 models.

Anyother options that i have missed out?

Last edited:

Hellfire

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Jetta TDI Highline
I think the wheels are the only difference. So slice off around $500 - $1000 for that. I would buy down south, the only question you need to answer is the warranty and maintenance. If it is denied, then I feel the price difference isn't significant enough to for the trip. Pisses me off though, given how the dollar is almost at par!

ziggy55

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
With that price difference depends. You will have to pay cash for the car in the US, since you do not have credit rating in the US. Some manufactures don't respect the warranties, aka Honda, and Toyota. Fortunately VW does, I think they will give you the 3 instead of 4 year. Also the car is built in Mexico so there will be no duties, if it was the Golf duties will have to be paid. ALso there is some paper work you will have to take care of at the border and with the RIV. Also taxes (GST) will have to be paid at the border on the Canadian value of the vehicle, and usually provincial taxes once you plate the car. There is many resources on the web that explain the whole procedure on US to Canada car importing. This is usually more beneficial on high end cars, where you can save 10000$ and more. Some vehicles require bumper and cluster changes like Mercedes and some BMW's.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
you can get some awesome Audi 18-inch wheels at KefferVW for under 500$ right now.
having imported a car this summer, I can say it is a piece of cake but a new car might not be. many dealers will not sell to Canadians and I do not know if it is easy or not (I would suspect not easy).

ziggy55

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
good website with info for importing:
carswithoutborders.com

I know for US built cars there is no duties, should be the same for Mexican built, falls under NAFTA.

Tim$2

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
Ohhhhhh... my bad. The example I was thinking of was an A6. Built in Germany. Duh! Sorry guys!