Urgent Help Request

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Car Info: 96 Passat TDI 5Sp
Problem: Engine stalled this morning during acceleration from a standing stop. The engine re-started a few minutes later and continued to operate without symptoms or other inticaion of a probelm ....then later tonight the engine stalled again. Upon the second stall the engine will not re-start. The engine cranks but no attempt to "catch" or fire.
Corrective Measures taken so far
1. Relay 109 replaced
2. Fuel-filter replaced
3. Replaced Battery
4. No "CEL" code recorded
5. Timing is set to the center of the timing graph

Addendum: This Passat has had 3 fuel filters replaced within the past 7 dasy due to poor quality bio-diesel fuel contaminated with water and other trash.
Upon taking a fuel sample I have observed cloudy....suspicious looking fuel.
What I need in your help...Can anybody tell me how to get this engine started ??? This car belongs to a forum member...standed ...out of state. Any help will be grately appreciteed.
TIA..
Herm
PS...No this is not my damn car....Bio...in my Golf....NEVER ! /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Metalnerd

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 Passat TDI Storm Grey
How about the fuel shutoff valve? It is the small sparkplug-looking like thing on top of the injection pump, near the output end of the injection pump. It has one wire connected to it.

Make sure it sees voltage when the car should be ON. It is generally low cost and one common iteml to fail in the old 1.6 diesels.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Herm, using your MityVac, see if you can pull fuel from the tank to the front of the car. You may have blockage in that fuel path..either in a line or in the tank from a build up of gunk.

dogbreath

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Jetta Sequoia Green
dieseldorf is thinking along the same path as me- that was my next suggestion. Cranks ( w/good electrics)+no start=fuel delivery problem. Given what you've described there must be blockage somewhere from tank to injector.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
When the fuel filter was replaced....fuel flow/supply was verified all of the way to the pump....filter was primed...and no air leaks found.
The fuel shut off valve "clicks" everytime the ignition switch is turned on.
Still....no start

ChiTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
Herm, don't know if this applies or not. I had the same symptoms and found the "T" fitting at the top of the filter not sealing. Air was being pumped instead of the fuel and no start. We pushed the "T" fitting down where it sealed and zoom zoom. Hope your goes as well.

riddei

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1997, Storm Grey
Herm,

Losen the fuel line nut's that attach to the injectors... Crank over the engine... Is fuel flowing well?

If so, perhaps the injector nozzles (bodies?) themselves are gummed up.

Just a thought.

(I will ask you off line whether this was "home brew", or commercial biodiesel /images/graemlins/smirk.gif)

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
If fuel comes out of the #3 injector with the line loosened the pump should be fine. IF the fuel does not...serious issues may be at hand.

Find out if that fuel is flowing at the #3 injector.

I would also suggest getting the miti-vac as suggested and get some Power Service 100% sucked into that pump ASAP! White or silver bottle, don't matter.

I would also suggest if you guys can rig it up getting a little tank set up with good fuel in it to keep from having to run on the fuel in the tank. The last thing you need is more contamination from the tank at this point.

If you can get the car running use my pressure teqnique to purge the fuel tank of any residual fuel.

DB

natescape

Veteran Member
TDI
None at the moment. *sniff*
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and help. I'm sure DBW's suggestion will be one of the first things Bawlsy and the Poet will try when we get the car back south.

bowlerman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi black
thats what i was thinking, crack a line on injector and see if fuel comes out. injection pump might be done, doesnt take much crappy fuel to kill that pump, i think so? take intake rubber hose off and give intake straight air so that you can rule out intake system? glow plugs working? im sure u checked? but if they dont work at all u wont get it started, at least not for a little while cranking away. clogged intercooler? did u check intake clogged?

NadaGasser

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI
Unless the failure mode is just sheer coincidence, it appears that "bad fuel" is the ultimate culprit. If so, Drivebywire's suggestions are spot on: 1) bypass the normal fuel system entirely up to the injection pump, 2) set up a clean container that can be hung from the car's hood and rig a line from this container to the fuel pump, 3) put some dino-diesel (Sorry you soy folks!) into the container, and 4) crack the #3 injector. Crank the engine and see if fuel is expelled at good pressure from the injector. If not .... the fuel pump needs an overhaul. If the engine starts, well .... you know the rest of the story!