The belt is more loose than I thought, as soon as I turned the front tire
The belt skipped a tooth then was fine. So looks like a head
And timing belt job is in order.. I don't want to scrap the car
It's in pristine shape :(

Yblocker

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat
You are faced with removing the head for sure now. You stated earlier that you are a forklift mechanic. The head R&R is pretty easy on these cars, so if you have the inclination and a place to work, you should have no trouble. Reliable vendors such as Bora Parts in Portland can supply the timing belt kit, and you will need to buy (or make) the lock down tools when putting it together. Maybe you know and trust someone locally, but Frank Irving (Franko6) in Missouri is an expert in head repair on these and can also supply parts. Afterwards it would be useful to have it timed accurately using VCDS. Maybe somebody near you has the cable and can help with that. If you need to farm it out, then I'm sure someone will chime in with a local suggestion (other than a dealer). Good luck!

daypass72

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I am hoping since it happened at idle speed
Nothin serious is damaged. I'm going to pull the valve
Cover tomorrow and have a good look.. What should
I be looking for?

Yblocker

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat
It may look fine under there. Take some pics if you can and post them. The face of the lifters may have some spider webbing, they may not. The thing that happens is that the valve stem gets stressed after the valve gets whacked by the piston, and if you were to give it a clean bill based on a quick and dirty look under the valve cover, a valve will likely break off down the road and really cause havoc. The clearance between the valve and piston on these things is only a few thou, so pull the valve cover and look for sure- you'll be pulling it off later in any case!

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
The head needs to come off. A few things to think about are!
You will need to replace all the valves, and lifters, check cam ??
The head has 200K on it it needs guilds too!
Needs a complete head set and bolts and timing belt kit!
Need to check the piston height some times the rods bent from banging the valves!
You can have frank or a good machine shop rebuild it!
Or look at www.IDPARTS.com new complete head and needed parts.
I have used there new heads they work fine. What I have found with this new heads is some nice up grades.
It had duel springs, steel lower valve spring shims, nice seals, new cam and lifters, Just bolt it on and go.
Bob Mann

daypass72

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
CNGVW sounds like a pro so the head has to come off :( i thought i had a little hope

RacerTodd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
I am hoping since it happened at idle speed
Nothin serious is damaged. I'm going to pull the valve
Cover tomorrow and have a good look.. What should
I be looking for?
Usually it's a roller or the tensioner that fails and causes timing belt issues. Does the receipt for the previous timing belt show only a belt, tensioner and water pump? It should show all three rollers as well. If the rollers weren't replaced, that's the most likely cause.

It's possible you'll see a damaged lifter or cam under the valve cover but those don't typically cause a loose belt. A loose belt sounds like a roller or tensioner failure to me.

daypass72

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
The invoice just states, belt, tensioner, water pump
And serpentine belt.. The tensioner definitely let go
The tab and 2 holes are at 9 o'clock

daypass72

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
No pic of the tensioner, I tried but can't get my phone
In there to take a good picture..

daypass72

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
At a loss here, removed camshaft and lifters
Everything is perfect no cracking or mushroomed lifters, camshaft lobes are perfect
Prior to disassembly I turned
The camshaft manually and everything spun free and smooth
Now I don't know what to do pull the head or put a new TB kit
On it..

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
At a loss here, removed camshaft and lifters
Everything is perfect no cracking or mushroomed lifters, camshaft lobes are perfect
Prior to disassembly I turned
The camshaft manually and everything spun free and smooth
Now I don't know what to do pull the head or put a new TB kit
On it..
You can just put a new TB kit on it. It will run for around 5k miles then the slightly bent valve you have will eject its head and then it pounds your piston, bends your rod, and ruins your head.

Really, the people around here know what they are talking about.

And for the newbies reading this thread, let this be a lesson to you, unless your are 100% positive the PO did the TB job CORRECTLY make sure to get it done right. We see this all too often around here.

daypass72

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Update

I Removed the head got it inspected nothing wrong with it, I did get new guides and lifters
Installed Since someone on here stated to do so.. Thanks for the input

marshalldanielp

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Gls Wagon auto
Glad to hear you got it straightened out.

Good luck putting it back together make sure you use the proper tools and replace the appropriate bolts. Your probably aware but you'll need to replace the head bolts. I would recommend buying the whole timing belt that comes with everything you need including the replacement bolts.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Glad to hear you got it straightened out.

Good luck putting it back together make sure you use the proper tools and replace the appropriate bolts. Your probably aware but you'll need to replace the head bolts. I would recommend buying the whole timing belt that comes with everything you need including the replacement bolts.

Make sure you purchase the correct head gasket. They come in a few thicknesses. 1 hole, 2 hole, etc. use your old one as a guide.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I Removed the head got it inspected nothing wrong with it
Who inspected the head?

I have a feeling we will be hearing back from you in a year or so. Depending on how much you drive.

The odds of every valve missing a piston during even a low speed TB event are pretty much unheard of.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Agreed. The valves on these don't bend, they mushroom (get shorter), so they'll seem fine but really aren't.
The problem arises in 8-10,000 miles when the head of the valve snaps off and goes bouncing around in
your cylinder, creating all sorts of pretty artwork.

It is virtually unheard of for a head not to have damage resulting from something like this, which happens way too
often. If I were in your shoes I'd get a second opinion from someone who knows these heads and takes precise measurements.

The timing belt tensioner has a date code on it that tells the week and year of manufacture, which is why people asked
for a picture of it.

Last edited: