Urgent help needed in Charlotte, NC...traveling and no throttle response

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
It is not me, I am just putting out the request. There is someone on Facebook I've been conversing with to try and get him up and going. He is off a rest area on I-77 around Charlotte and he lost the throttle response on his '97 B4.

I've been on the phone with him for the last hour but he needs someone local to help him out, preferably with a VCDS.

So far we have tried:
* diagnosing the ECU ground under the boot going to the ECU
* ECU connection itself
* black brake switch is functioning normally, blue did not change but we can't tell if it's working
* very minor split on one of the 3rd injector wires, but IMHO not enough to cause an issue
* engine grounds are fine with no chafing or corrosion
* actuated/snapped the brake pedal and throttle pedal with the hopes it'd jar something if there was a loose connection

He is from NY and was traveling north when the car acted weird and bucked. He pulled over and shut it off, then restarted it. It starts fine but idles at 1,200 rpm's and the glow plug light is flashing.

I did a search on here and went through what I could find for posts but did not find anything that helped.

He has no tools and the rest area is of no help, no scan tools either.
Can anyone help him out? Since he posted his number openly on Facebook (on the "VW Diesel TDI IDI and mTDI support group by VWDiesel.net"), I will post it here temporarily and will take it down when he's on his way again.

(845) 258-zero976 and his name is Ben. Nice guy to talk to but he really needs a hand.

Last edited:

deecee

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat Tornado Red, 99.5 Golf ALH, 2002 Jetta ALH
Ugh that's a couple of hours from me and I'm not sure how much help I would be even if I could get there. Hope someone closer can help

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I looked up auto parts stores and he was able to limp it to one and get it scanned. It came back with a P0121 code for the TPS. Unfortunately without a VCDS we don't know if that's the actual problem or an unseen chafed wire.

I sent him the Trusted Mechanics list for NC and he called them all, but they're closed due to the hour. He'll probably need a new TPS but AFAIK they're NLA and will have to be sourced from a junkyard.

I have one up here but that does him no good.

Last edited:

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
He is back on his way north to New York. He has throttle above 2,000 rpm's but when it drops below that it throws the car into the code condition. He's keeping it above that and is going to try to push through the night.

The codes pulled were
P0121
P1403
P0380
P1146
P1161
P1163
P1256

But he said the CEL was always on, so it's hard telling what was preexisting.

This is the catalyst for reviving the idea of a travel list, and I'll start a new thread about it. It would be helpful to have a list of people that could be relied upon, even if it's just to borrow a screwdriver, when traveling. It'd be a good discussion to have.

deecee

Veteran Member
TDI
I think that's a great idea, how about a map with drop pins of where people are that could help and also with tdi trusted mechanics locations on it? I don't know how to make that but it would make for easier navigation.

deecee

Veteran Member
TDI
I just had a quick look into this and I think it's pretty simple to do with Google maps.I also saw a thing called zeemaps which lets you create maps then publish them to a website. They charge for there services obviously.

I think it would mainly be a case of finding who was Interested in being on a map/list to help others out and then adding there info to drop pins on a map. Enthusiasts/helpers could be a certain color pin and trusted mechanics another.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Yes. I've been talking with my brother who is somewhat of an internet guru. He's setup and run websites before. I'm sure there are what's to do whatever. I'll start the thread tomorrow and we can get a discussion going on how it should be set up and implemented.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I'd be happy to participate.

I would hope that what ever method we use to publish this stuff there's a way to restrict access to the phone numbers to only people who are members here? I really don't want it out there for general consumption.

Steve

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I'd be happy to participate.

I would hope that what ever method we use to publish this stuff there's a way to restrict access to the phone numbers to only people who are members here? I really don't want it out there for general consumption.

Steve
My thoughts exactly, which is why we need a discussion on it. I know I would be less inclined to participate if all my contact info was available to any bot on the web.

DeeCee, I'd be happy to have any help, thanks.

deecee

Veteran Member
TDI
Well my thoughts are that I think the map with pointers on is a good idea as it is easier to locate and navigate than a list, as well as the fact it seems pretty easy to put together.

I guess the point about personal info is a big issue and I agree with it, but then how do people contact you if they need help? via pm on here? The only negatives to that scenario I see are that
a) you have to be a member here to make use of it and
b) it may take longer to contact somebody who is not logged in.

I think we need a different thread for this but it would be worth figuring out who would be up for being included on such a thing, what info is relevant to be included, how we would be contacted and what is the agreed method of compiling this list/database of helping hands.

I am going to keep playing with the zeemap thing and put the trusted tdi mechanics on a map just for my own education even if it doesn't end up being of any use.

deecee

Veteran Member
TDI
I see a google map already exists for tdi trusted mechanics.

kzoc

Veteran Member
TDI
97 A3 Jetta 1.9 TDI, and 6 Volvo's!
I had this happen to me... The ECU lost the ability to see the throttle input.

I have a thread from several years ago, and Robby (Runonbeer) was able to hook up VCDS and see the throttle input with no response from the engine.

If needed, I have an ECU ready to go. EB, I think. Pics are in the classifieds. I can get it out late this afternoon.