Upper intercooler to hard pipe hose (BEW)

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Recently my MKIV BEW has started to put out black smoke under 1/2 throttle to WOT and power has seemed slightly off above 3k RPM which isn't normal for the car. Scanned with vag-com and no codes. I checked all the intercooler plumbing as recommended here and found that the connection of the short collared c-clip hose that goes from the top of the intercooler to the hard pipe (just below the right headlight) is loose and probably the cause for the black smoke and slight loss of power (the other connections are tight).

I went to find a new one online and I can only find the hose that connect the pancake pipe to the lower intercooler inlet (https://www.idparts.com/lower-intercooler-connecting-pipe-1j0145834t-tch0307-p-6178.html). It looks almost identical to what's on the upper portion of the intercooler. I just want to make sure that my thinking is correct before buying or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks!

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
The connectors on both ends of the intercooler are the same. I went through this when mine needed replacing. Just call IDparts to verify. That's where I bought mine.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Don't replace that expensive hose! Get (or make) a "doggie collar" and motor on.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
i grind the worn tabs flat, drill a small hole dead center of where the tabs used to reside and thread in a small allen bolt (around m3?, no tap required) . Then with a dremel or flap disc I reshape the allen head to emulate the previous ramp shape and height...this fix is just a few pennies, lasts forever, and let's you remove the pipe easily.

Last edited:

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Follow-up/resolution: I heard back from ID Parts and indeed the lower pancake pipe to intercooler hose is the same as the upper intercooler to hard pipe hose.