Upgraded TDIClub forums

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Has anyone noticed a delay in receiving the notification (the little red number) over the mail icon indicating that you have a PM or Conversation as I think it's called now?

Some one PM'd me a couple weeks ago on a weekday morning and it was the next day before I saw the icon. I figured it was just me not being used to the new format yet and just missed it.

We exchanged a handfull of PM's over the next couple days and things worked as normal - I'd see the icon notification pretty much right away and have been specifically checking for it each time I check in on the forums. I check in each morning and a few times each evening.

Then they PM'd me again on Wednesday afternoon and I didn't receive the notification until this (Friday) morning.

Any thoughts on this? Any more info I can provide to help troubleshoot?
Just happened again - PM was sent ~7:00 PM yesterday, just showed up within the last hour (20 hours later...)

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Just happened again - PM was sent ~7:00 PM yesterday, just showed up within the last hour (20 hours later...)
I've been looking into this, but have not been able to pinpoint the issue. I suspect it has to do with the migration from our old servers to the new ones.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I've been looking into this, but have not been able to pinpoint the issue. I suspect it has to do with the migration from our old servers to the new ones.
Hey Fred- Have not been getting my messages in Coversations. I had a couple specific questions sos I can finish up with those miscellaneous files.

jptbay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2006 Jetta Wagon
Can the quick navigation menu be put into use here?

This looks like Xenforo's answer to vBulletin's quick forum jump that used to be at the bottom of each forum page.

I really miss this feature, and find it awkward to navigate to other forum discussion areas now.

Thanks. Otherwise place is great. Really has the feel of the old place.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
Thanks Fred - If there's anything I can do to help troubleshoot, let me know.
Can you let me know if this has improved since February 24th? I had to move to a dedicated email service as the email reputation of cloud based providers isn't the same as when I had my own IP range.

For the other items, I'm trying to find some time to update to version 2.2 and then I can address what isn't included in that update. I'm hoping in April I can attack these items.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Rather than start my own thread I figured I'd start by asking here. I remember on the old platform I could subscribe to someone's thread and at a later date go to my profile page and see all of the threads I was subscribed to. I can't seem to find the old threads I was subscribed to anywhere in my profile. Am I just not seeing it or did it go away or get relocated?

Any help on figuring out how to see my old list of subscribed threads would be greatly appreciated. :) (y)

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
OK, something completely changed with the forum this week. The browser shortcuts I had saved all took me to a test server, not this one. If there was an announcement recently, I never saw it. Any shortcuts saved to a specific sub-section will no longer work. At first I thought the system was under maintenance, but when it extended for several days I had to dig deeper.

Although, maybe it was my fault. It just dawned on me that I'm using my work laptop to access the forum for the first time in over a year (I'm actually traveling this week for work). This is probably due to the forum update last fall. I simply haven't used this computer for accessing this site since COVID forced us to full time telework over a year ago. Since the company won't let me log into Chrome with my Gmail account, the shortcuts aren't sync'd with the ones on my home PCs. So that's likely the explanation.

Something else we can blame on COVID! :D

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
This week I have started preparing for the next update so I used an old test website. There are a number of different test URLs that unfortunately were indexed or bookmarked and while I've been trying to get them removed from links, some probably are still lurking like the ones you have booked marked. All you need to do is ensure that the url starts with https://forums.... and it will work. If it has something else, then it is not the official production website.

Sorry for the confusion my background preparation has caused. I did notice one or two users on the test site yesterday so I put up a link/notification stating the proper website/link. Were you able to see this?

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I'm back on my home computers, and found my previous bookmarks didn't work there either. But I've updated them with the full HTTPS now, so I should be good from now on. :)

VN86KEN

TDI
passat B5.5 1.9 AVF
Hello Fred and users... My name is Catalin and I am from Romania, I am glad that this site is somewhat active ... I have an account made here for a few years but I didn't really pay attention ... My problem is also English, I don't know it well enough but I can handle it.My car is Passat b5.5 wagon from 2003 ( check my profile / garage ) , I found here some useful and helpful information and that's why I like this forum I also sent a small donation for support.
In the next few days I will print some stickers for the car, the templates I found here in the link on the first page to the business card.
If anyone has sticker templates please send me a private message. 👍

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
Been gone a while, checking in as I tidy things up on my end. It may be a spell before I update things (posting on a dual boot system using MBR & BIOS w/o EFI) but I noted that there is now a 3000 character-per-post limit, but there doesn't seem to be any mention of it in this thread or hits on the topic from the search feature. Old posts with this cap are properly preserved, but parsing is broken on them, example is my initial post in my defunct build thread I haven't haven't updated in a few years:
DC's 1756VK-assisted B4

Any way to resolve this or should I go in and as a mod to split the post (not now cause it'll break links)?

Edit: Correction, my old image links are being parsed with proxy access to them, which I don't have setup on my webserver atm (self hosted) so they don't display unless I'm previewing the post. Another example is the the graph from the 1Z/ALH VE testing:

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
Ok, I trippled the max message length so that should help. This is the first mention of the limit.

As for the pictures, I have been running them through a proxy to prevent the site from appearing unsecured due to the image sources not being https. Every image I tested with an x seemed to be due to problems on the remote site. In this case one of the dead links seems to be mobrienphoto.com/Misc-Pics/TDI-Pics/Dynos.png .

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
Grr, need to update my IP on my DNS, sorry. Yeah, I've been a bit slow on migrating to a signed SSL cert. It is on my list of to-dos.

Thank you, btw

vwishndaetr

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Has there even been talk of converting to the forums that allow you to embed photos right into the post (without 3rd party hosting)?

Cuts all the clicking down by like 90%...

Just curious.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Has there even been talk of converting to the forums that allow you to embed photos right into the post (without 3rd party hosting)?

Cuts all the clicking down by like 90%... Just curious.
Well, for me, I've learned how to use the Photo Gallery in this format. However, I'm not fond of it.

The older threads where Photo Bucket was used are almost useless considering many posts were intended to be visual.

Also, I don't use a Smart Phone! I love my LapTop. So, the current format is fine with me.

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Can you elaborate?
At the time of the link below, I did a rather detailed step by step procedure to help with creating an Album. You will need an Album to store your photos. You can dump every photo in one Album or you can create Albums with a Title similar to the subject of discussion in a Thread. I have numerous Albums that were carried over from the original TDI Club Web Format. Seems I've created at least one since the new Format.

Unfortunately, I did not save the step by step procedure .....

Anyway, in the link below, scroll down to Post #2 and see how that works for you!

vwishndaetr

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
At the time of the link below, I did a rather detailed step by step procedure to help with creating an Album. You will need an Album to store your photos. You can dump every photo in one Album or you can create Albums with a Title similar to the subject of discussion in a Thread. I have numerous Albums that were carried over from the original TDI Club Web Format. Seems I've created at least one since the new Format.

Unfortunately, I did not save the step by step procedure .....

Anyway, in the link below, scroll down to Post #2 and see how that works for you!

Got it thanks.

Can I host to a thread on TDI Club from there? Or is it a one-way street?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got it thanks.

Can I host to a thread on TDI Club from there? Or is it a one-way street?
This is how I do it. (I'm assuming you've created and Album and uploaded one or more photos.)

You will need two TDI Club web sites open. One opened to your Album(s) and the other where you want to post a photo (A Thread you've created or just to post in an existing Thread).

From an Album you've created and uploaded photos, click on a photo you want to put in a Thread. Then, scroll down the page where the photo is until you see > Copy URL BB code with thumbnail < Then highlight the URL and paste it in the Thread where you want it. Remember, you can Preview and make changes before Posting. And, of course, you can always go back and edit.

Hope this helps

vwishndaetr

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
This is how I do it. (I'm assuming you've created and Album and uploaded one or more photos.)

You will need two TDI Club web sites open. One opened to your Album(s) and the other where you want to post a photo (A Thread you've created or just to post in an existing Thread).

From an Album you've created and uploaded photos, click on a photo you want to put in a Thread. Then, scroll down the page where the photo is until you see > Copy URL BB code with thumbnail < Then highlight the URL and paste it in the Thread where you want it. Remember, you can Preview and make changes before Posting. And, of course, you can always go back and edit.

Hope this helps
Awesome, thanks.

Wish it was doable from the reply box in threads, but the above is still 100 times quicker than me clicking through 10 windows to get my flickr images hosted. I was almost ready to bail on this forum.

You've saved my soul lol.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When you have two or more Albums, you can cursor over them which will highlight the name of the album. Then, click on an Album to see three or more photos which you can scroll thru them.

I have Albums with pages and pages of photos. As I said previously, it took me a while to learn everything........... and, I am 71. (been involved with VWs since 1973).

vwishndaetr

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
When you have two or more Albums, you can cursor over them which will highlight the name of the album. Then, click on an Album to see three or more photos which you can scroll thru them.

I have Albums with pages and pages of photos. As I said previously, it took me a while to learn everything........... and, I am 71. (been involved with VWs since 1973).
Nice - it's not a regular occurrence for me to take lessons on tech from someone older than my parents. I appreciate your wisdom. 🍻