Upgraded TDIClub forums

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
The "go to new posts" thing still isn't working right which is annoying but I agree, things are getting better and better.
If you click on the title of the tread from the index, what does it do?
Have you tried to mark everything read as a reset since the migration?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
The 'new posts' at the top left is working for me. On another note, location and user info is now below our profile Pic. Really appreciate all your efforts here Fred!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
OK, so while the user info below their profile Pic is nice now, now there's where some people have what seems like a paragraph listing all their cars plus a description about it. It causes when they post, to have a giant blank area on the post.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
OK, so while the user info below their profile Pic is nice now, now there's where some people have what seems like a paragraph listing all their cars plus a description about it. It causes when they post, to have a giant blank area on the post.
Write a larger signature? ;)

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I just edited my details so that each would only take one line
might see if clearing out the "fuel economy" one will eliminate that line alltogether

ETA: yup
just go up into the "account details" tab up there and it's all availiable to edit

If only I could get rid of my avi to get even less scrolling...

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
If you click on the title of the tread from the index, what does it do?
Have you tried to mark everything read as a reset since the migration?
Ok I am offically an idiot, I was clicking the last post thing thinking it was like the old fourms where that's what took you to the latest unread post. Just clicking the title works perfect!

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
Due to the different sizing with this software vs the old one I have removed the fuel economy section to lessen the length. We will see if that makes this a little better for the shorter posts for now.
Ok I am offically an idiot, I was clicking the last post thing thinking it was like the old fourms where that's what took you to the latest unread post. Just clicking the title works perfect!
You aren't the only one. I did not realize that either when I started testing the software. :)

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Due to the different sizing with this software vs the old one I have removed the fuel economy section to lessen the length. We will see if that makes this a little better for the shorter posts for now.
Any possibility of allowing the use of smaller type size in that area? I tried pasting in 10 pt but the software just enlarged it.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Tremendous job with the changeover, record time as well.
The one feature I don't like is how it takes me to my last unread post. I almost always need to review what the OP was about. I do know I can click the OP person to go directly to Post #1, just lazy.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Oh - please don't change that. It's much easier to scroll up a couple posts to get the gist of where the discussion was, than to scroll through tens, hundreds, thousands of posts to get to where I left off reading.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
The one feature I don't like is how it takes me to my last unread post. I almost always need to review what the OP was about. I do know I can click the OP person to go directly to Post #1, just lazy.
In the topic listings for each topic there is the date of the original post. Click on this and you will go directly the the initial post. If your screen is to narrow, perhaps a phone in portrait mode, this is unfortunately not available.

Last edited:

Ludachris

TDI
Touareg - Soon
I'll have a look at threadloom as compared to elastic search, but for major updates I may try to hold off until the next version of Xenforo has a couple minor releases before migrating to that and then adding on some add-ons. Back with vBulletin I was burned on occasions with too many mods. Perhaps I'm not as adventuresome as some here on the forums with their mods and conversions. ;)
Same here, I completely understand. The nice thing about the search is that you can always revert back to Elasticsearch/Enhanced Search if Threadloom goes away. But I get where you're coming from.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I don't like it as well as the old either, but in this world software is sink or swim, you must always have an upgrade strategy.
I will say Fred and Co. have done an excellent job with this. That other TDI forum took months and it's still not right.
Last week my local library told me I can not download books to my Fire HD after October. My $10,000+ CAD software updated to 64bit 5 years ago, we're on revision 14 and it's still as buggy as an old piece of fruit.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't particularly like the new layout either - was way more comfortable with the old one - but the new software is better in just about every regard.
Mobile-responsive matters (make your browser window really skinny to see what happens...then try that on the old format; not happening).

And then photo upload, while different, is again SO much better. See this thread, for example, where the poster even warned HUGE PICS...which in the old format would've been three screens wide, probably. Here - perfectly formatted.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
I am noticing the width of the post only follows a widening browser window up to a point, then the "margins" start expanding instead. Doesn't bother me as I don't normally go full-width/fullscreen for this forum, but I think it is probably why some complain about wasted screen space. I'm guessing there's some sort of "maxwidth" parameter for the thread area somewhere, and that it's not something that users can individually control?

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
I just wanted to say a few words regarding the last few comments. I too liked the old format for somethings, but at the end of the day, it was not possible to continue with vBulletin 3.x and we had to move on. The new version (vBulletin 5) was not an option for me as it is riddled with bugs (over 1000 last time I read), it is not that similar to the old system and I do not feel confident in it's future. As mentioned before, I evaluated a number of different forum software systems and one criteria was it similarity to the old system, and that brought us here. Posts quantity before and after the migration are similar.

Once the server migration this weekend is completed and I get some other background issues resolved, I can get back to addressing some of the previous User Interface (UI) suggestions as I'm hoping we can tweak it to work even better for the membership.

Please check the current list here of items to be deal with here: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/upgraded-tdiclub-forums.509435/#post-5610107 as well as the list of items I am considering here: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/upgraded-tdiclub-forums.509435/post-5610108. Keep suggestions coming and I'll see what can be addressed. Also there is an update to Xenforo coming in the next few months which seems to help with some of the suggestions already mentioned.

While I'm mentioning updates, I'm still looking for some volunteers to help get the PDFs and howtos from the old picture section migrated into the new Resources Section. I feel we can really make that a better location for people to easily find all the great documentation the membership has created over the years. If you are interested, please contact me directly.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Seems we've lost some pictures/links in an old thread...All were hosted on the TDI picture server. Is there something I need to or can do to fix this?

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
Seems we've lost some pictures/links in an old thread...All were hosted on the TDI picture server. Is there something I need to or can do to fix this?
There was something weird with the original post in Vbulletin as the image references were recursive:
Code:
[IMG][IMG]http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/medium/4in_Short_Turndown.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]
I had to go back to that thread there (I have access to this until mid October) and clean up the way the images were imbedded and once that was done it is working again.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
I scanned your posts and found a bunch of missing images, but it turned out to be the graemlins vBulletin used so now that is fixed for everyone. :) If there are any important posts it might be worth a quick scan just in case, but I believe it is all in good shape as I think your issue was a one time or very infrequent thing.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Thanks again Fred - Just randomly going through some old threads (nice trip down memory lane :)) and found a few others. Maybe these just haven't been fixed yet or ???. I did re-load/refresh the pages after reading the above post, but still no images...

It seems like if a thread has "working" pictures, in it, all the pictures are working, if the link is broken in a thread then all the pictures I put in that thread are broken. Not sure if this helps or not?

Again - Thank You for all the behind the scenes work you do to keep this going!!

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
Yes, this past while working on the migration has taken me down memory lane more than once. ;)

Your posts have been fixed where the images still exist. One posting had ones posted a different resolutions (I had already forgotten how annoying it was that images would take over your screen) so I'm guessing it was deleted or a duplicate.. I don't suspect there are too many more, but if you find any, please let me know. A PM is fine as not to clutter things up. The same goes for others if you notice pictures not loading (and you are sure they were hosted on TDIClub and not an external provider), let me know and I'll see if I can't fix it.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
So it looks like the problem with the TDI News/Tech RSS feed isn't the RSS feed at all - it looks like that subforum isn't in a moderated mode any more.

Newbies are posting straight to it, and they're appearing in public view immediately, instead of being held for approval.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
So it looks like the problem with the TDI News/Tech RSS feed isn't the RSS feed at all - it looks like that subforum isn't in a moderated mode any more.

Newbies are posting straight to it, and they're appearing in public view immediately, instead of being held for approval.
So, when you opened the air filter housing, there was actually no filter inside, and unfiltered air was going straight into the engine?

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Has anyone noticed a delay in receiving the notification (the little red number) over the mail icon indicating that you have a PM or Conversation as I think it's called now?

Some one PM'd me a couple weeks ago on a weekday morning and it was the next day before I saw the icon. I figured it was just me not being used to the new format yet and just missed it.

We exchanged a handfull of PM's over the next couple days and things worked as normal - I'd see the icon notification pretty much right away and have been specifically checking for it each time I check in on the forums. I check in each morning and a few times each evening.

Then they PM'd me again on Wednesday afternoon and I didn't receive the notification until this (Friday) morning.

Any thoughts on this? Any more info I can provide to help troubleshoot?

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
It was easy to delete an email or PM on the old site. How does one do that on this new site using an iPad? Maybe I’m getting old but for the life of me I can’t figure this out.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Definitely a long way from being intuitive, but basically the only way I've figured out is to "leave" the conversation (near top of the page on the RH side).
It will continue to exist in the database of course, but at least it won't show up in your "inbox" anymore.

Last edited: