Upgraded TDIClub forums

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Something I've noticed that's mildly irritating on mobile, not sure if it's something that can be addressed, but whenever typing on mobile, it's fine. As soon as I press Enter to make a new paragraph, the text box resizes, then causes my keyboard to disappear because it thinks I'm exiting the text entry field, so if I have to move a couple of lines down, it's press enter, select text field again, enter, rinse and repeat.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Any chance you're using an iOS beta? I have that disappearing keyboard thing in all sorts of apps on the beta.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Any chance you're using an iOS beta? I have that disappearing keyboard thing in all sorts of apps on the beta.
Nope, on an S10+ Android. Guess it's a multiplatform mobile issue?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Another nice feature of the new forum software, of which I'm appreciative is the ability to use common keyboard shortcuts.
Like (Mac) COMMAND- B/I/U for bold / italics / underline; COMMAND+K for inserting a hyperlink; COMMAND+RETURN for submitting the reply.
?
(And - just discovered by me - support for emojis like right above there from the keyboard. ?)

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The little envelope icon to the right of your username at the top-right of the web page (to the left of the search icon).
Also, PMs are now "conversations" (of which, I apparently have 60 unread ones...with no quick way to mark all as read. ?)

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh wow - just discovered this over in a different thread (game-changer for Flickr users).

If you simply paste a hyperlink from Flickr....the Xenforo system will paste the image. No linking, no nothing. Just paste a Flickr URL.
So, (using the example from that thread) just paste https:// flic.kr/p/2jE2MKS (without the extraneous spaces after //) and when you POST REPLY, you get this:
https://flic.kr/p/2jE2MKS (No idea why there's all that white space above; didn't get that in the above-linked thread).

Trying this now with a photo I have in Google Photos:
Ok - not quite as good, but at least you get small thumbnail which is auto-hyperlinked to the "real" image.

But the good news, if you're a Flickr user, posting images here just got REALLY easy. Yet another benefit of the new forum software. Well-done, Fred & Co. ?

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Has anybody discovered where to go to edit a signature? They all imported fine, but mine needs some tweaking and the Help system just says "edit your profile", which I think I've gone thru a couple times now, in vain. :)

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
romad just deleted his message for which I received a notification. So, at least notifications on this thread work. :)

Notifications for past subscriptions, though...not so much. Like, the WDYDT Mk4 and Mk7 threads - never see notifications out of those. Probably have to unsubscribe and the re-subscribe to them.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Yeah, I thought I had the path to signature editing but was wrong. I stumbled on it earlier when I was trying to get the photo back into it but now I can't remember how to do it!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just ? because I'd found that same page and was about to post about it when I realized I couldn't edit the signature there...and then the notification of your post came through.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There needs to be a User Guide showing TDIClub members ALL the steps to use Xenforo forums (other than administrator of course).

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Testing out a new/different screenshot-pasting app to see if it works easily.

Meh - not terrible, but not great. :( Same as Google Photos direct links.

How about Dropbox direct links:

How about getting rid of that ?dl=0 at the end...

Or the standard trick with Dropbox, substitute raw=1 for dl=0 at the end of the URL.

Nope - gotta use the "raw=1" trick and paste that into the URL box in the toolbar's image tool (shortcut COMMAND-P on Mac):

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Apparently imgur plays nice with xeno as well, auto resizes and everything. Just an idea for an alternative.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Which Imgur image link did you use?

Image Link

Direct Link

Markdown Link (reddit comments)

HTML (website / blogs)

BBCode (message boards & forums)

Linked BBCode (message boards)

I always use the BBCode (message boards & forums) option.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Yeah - Safari on various Macs, plus Firefox a few times...never had an issue getting location (and other info) show up by hovering on a username (like one user's location of "NJ, U.S.A." :))
Hm. Today had it happen again, but this time I tried right-clicking and selecting "open in new tab" n

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Which Imgur image link did you use?

Image Link

Direct Link

Markdown Link (reddit comments)

HTML (website / blogs)

BBCode (message boards & forums)

Linked BBCode (message boards)

I always use the BBCode (message boards & forums) option.
Share link. Seems to work alright. Except my internet is wonky right now.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My concern with those "free" options is whether or not they're going to be around in 2-10yrs. It's always so disappointing to read a great how-to and see broken image links.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
To be fair, I've had my imgur account since 2009, and my photos are still there. But I get what you're saying. What's to stop someone from deleting them, right?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
...or imgur (or Photobucket or smugmug or whoever) decrees that all free accounts will be deactivated if it hasn't been used in the last year....or you now have to pay to keep it active....or they change their backend and now all of the links previously used no longer work (yeah, I'm looking at you and your former "public" folder, Dropbox ?).

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I've been having issues with uploading photos. I don't have imgur or flikr or any of those, just Google photos. I've used the TDI club upload photos then post those, but have been told that the photos didn't go through. I can see them, but apparently others can't? (In what did you do to your mkiv today post) I used to use Tapatalk for that, and am hoping that comes back, but haven't heard if it's for sure coming back. I tried to message Derf, but never heard back.
Is there any way that we can upload directly from a mobile device to a post without having to first upload to a middleman server, then to the post?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
where do I edit the text under my name?
'top post dawg' is not my cup of tea, wanna change it to say "is a butt"

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Has anybody discovered where to go to edit a signature? They all imported fine, but mine needs some tweaking and the Help system just says "edit your profile", which I think I've gone thru a couple times now, in vain. :)
This was an issue on my side and it has now been fixed. You should once again see the "Signature" option under your account management page.

My concern with those "free" options is whether or not they're going to be around in 2-10yrs. It's always so disappointing to read a great how-to and see broken image links.
This is a big reason I am a firm believer in trying to keep everything hosted on the same system. I agree there are probably easier systems to use out there, but we then rely less on third parties. In version 2.2 of Xenforo which is currently in beta testing, the process becomes much easier. When you upload the image in a posting, it gets mirrored immediately into your gallery so it really becomes a one step process. No ETA on that update yet, but I suspect we will upgrade inside a year. I still want to wait for the first point release or two before migrating.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Great work so far.
I still have trouble addressing posts/threads not knowing what car/engine family the user has.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Great work so far.
I still have trouble addressing posts/threads not knowing what car/engine family the user has.
This should be working now, at least when viewing from a device with a wide enough screen.

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I just noticed the location and vehicles are back up without clicking or hovering. They are back on my tablet also, no need to click. Thanks Fred. Things continue to get even better, I like this new layout and look.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
The "go to new posts" thing still isn't working right which is annoying but I agree, things are getting better and better.