Upgraded SMIC air scoop, yes or no?

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Hey,
Installed an upgraded SMIC and was wondering how many of you have fitted the original air scoop onto the new intercooler vs left it off?
I had some interference with an AC line so I left it off but kind of wondering if I shouldn't make it fit.
Thanks

dirtride

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
I have the Eurojet SMIC and left the air duct off. All works good with performance (couple years now) but considering trimming/fitting the duct back on someday. I also have the vented rt side fender lining waiting to be installed.

Wish I didn't have to go to work so I have more time to work on important things....

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
I'd say keep the scoop, without it, you aren't forcing the air thru the IC, thus it won't work, plus being thicker, you really need the air to be forced thru.

Keir@malonetuning.com

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
none
You want to have that pressure full force on the fins, not just in the general area, and after the intercooler it needs somewhere to go.

I noticed a massive difference in cool down on my A4 by venting the fender lining. It doesn't really help with how hot the temps get during a pull in gear for instance, but it'll allow it to get back to its 'resting' temperature so to speak much quicker.

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Got that scoop in there, took some / quite a bit of trimming to get the bumper to fit again and my foglight.
I used aluminum duct tape to secure the scoop to the intercooler, worked like a charm.

The fender lining is already kind of vented from the tire rubbing against it and me patching it back up. :)