Upgrade head unit to Apple Carplay?

Nickmk7

TDI
Mk7.5 GTI SE DSG 2002 Jetta TDI GLS M/T
I just experienced the flickering display today and think I need to go ahead and upgrade my radio for one compatible with Apple Carplay. Has anything changed with the procedure of upgrading since this was last active?
Nope, just pickup a mib 2 headunit and brain box. Coding and tool rental is available from golfmk7 forum.

Nickmk7

TDI
Mk7.5 GTI SE DSG 2002 Jetta TDI GLS M/T

codyayrton

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6M (sold to VW), 2015 Golf S Sportwagen TDI 6M
Nope, just pickup a mib 2 headunit and brain box. Coding and tool rental is available from golfmk7 forum.
I'm having trouble signing up for golfmk7. Requested multiple confirmation emails to be sent to me on two of my separate email addresses and got nothing. Tried to message moderators or whatever they are and no response. Is there something going on that prevents people from sigining up for golfmk7? I've installed my MIB2 but cannot find anyone to rent the tools from to remove component protection and activate Car Play. There's someone on golfmk7 who's renting them out but my account is not active without email verification so I cannot get ahold of them.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I've got a spare laptop all setup for remote ODIS work that I was going to make available for lending out to people, but can't part with my VAS5054 right now (was gonna be a spare one of those, but the price has pretty much doubled since I bought mine(?!).

MattRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, 2014 Beetle TDI, 1981 Rabbit Diesel
Aliexpress finally got a bezel that (sort of) matches the brushed aluminum look inside the Golf for the 8" glass screen. I decided to take the plunge and do that one. And yes, it was the way to go!

westcoastmike

TDI
2015 Sportwagen Comfortline
Aliexpress finally got a bezel that (sort of) matches the brushed aluminum look inside the Golf for the 8" glass screen. I decided to take the plunge and do that one. And yes, it was the way to go!

Link to the bezel? Some day light pics? I'm gonna do this mod soon

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
the radio thing is absolutely huge, would make the car feel so much newer / modern while retaining that OEM feel. I feel this when I get my GSW I will absolutely be doing this. Along with making sure the SEL either has the bi-xenon or if i can retrofit... noice.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
I've got a spare laptop all setup for remote ODIS work that I was going to make available for lending out to people, but can't part with my VAS5054 right now (was gonna be a spare one of those, but the price has pretty much doubled since I bought mine(?!).
Nuje- can you say more about this (ODIS, VAS5054, etc.) or point to some links?

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
ODIS = dealer software, think VCDS but indeed VW
VAS5054a = the dongle, think the actual thingy you connect to the OBD2 port, you need that particular one so ODIS can talk to your car

Unfortunately the only source for these is aliexpress (you are not buying either of those original), and there is a lot of discussion on the actual chip in the VAS tool that works best.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yep - what he said. :)

ODIS: Offboard Diagnostic Information System (interesting that a German company has an acronym using English words, but so it be)

VAS5054 is the older dongle; the newer (and current?) one is the 6154, but VWAG (I would assume in an effort to crack down on the clones) made that one so that anytime it makes a call to the home server, it does a cross-check of the serial number with the license in use on the software (or something to that effect) and only permits access if everything adds up.
So, the third-party remote-access folks stick with the older one (VAS5054a), which thankfully continues to work, at least up to and including the Mk7.

Last edited:

MattRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, 2014 Beetle TDI, 1981 Rabbit Diesel

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
What's the going rate for an 8" LCD screen these days?

Used ebay from Euroland still the go to place?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've got one (exactly this unit - just tested it) - $250USD by the time it got to me and replaced the missing knobs.
Would sell it for same. pm me if interested.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I'm on BCM No. 4 in my car, haha. Despite its capabilities and endless options the BCM is probably the dumbest module in our car. Just inputs and outputs. When you replace it there's only component protection and pairing keys. No parameters or anything like that.

Just long coding and adaptations... or just adaptations on a facelift BCM.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
I would love to retrofit heated seats, but dealers around me are downright rude and won't help with component protection.

I'm not talking free work, they won't quote me for that work. Is as if I'm talking a foreign language to them, they are clueless!

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
That sucks. My first BCM retrofit was actually done at the dealer. I got all the access (removed trim pieces). I brought the car to them with new BCM in-box on the passenger seat. Paid for them to physically replace and go through the guided replacement (which will take care of CP, keys and coding/adaptations).
  • Initially they only did component protection... the result of this was my key fobs didn't work to lock/unlock although car did drive... I made them fix this
  • Next noticed they didn't do the long coding/adaptations (SVM, for you nerds)... the result of this, odd infotainment menus and faults when I turned on exterior lights... I also made them fix this
  • Though it took some time as they were being stubborn and ignorant
    • They tried telling me I needed to go back to stock (tail lights) before they could troubleshoot (I told them I did not want nor was I paying for them to troubleshoot anything, just to run the guided function.. they still resisted)
    • Next told me that since the new BCM (high) wasn't the same as the one that came in my car (mid) I would just have some faults... told them that was non-sense, my new BCM was the one called out in ETKA for my car (a part number they had actually given me)
    • (VW typically only stocks the high version of modules as they will do everything, it's all in the coding)
    • Then their "smart" technician offered to manually match the coding and adaptations of my old BCM to the new one, using VCDS and for 5 hours labor, and with me providing my ad-map and scan... told them they could do it manually if they want but I wasn't paying for it... again told them to go through the guided function and all that would be sorted

In short they did not follow the guided function from start to finish, instead they tried just doing one part at a time. Once VWoA "engineering" and a tech at the local Audi service center tech got involved my dealer got the f***ing message and just went through the guided function... start to finish. Everything was then good, and it was done in a couple hours.

I only paid for the 3 hours that they originally quoted; 1 hr replacement and 2 hrs for coding/adaptation/etc. This despite them having and "working" on my car for countless hours over 3 visits and about 2 weeks. At least half that time I just left the car there and drove my other one... told them I wasn't coming back until they finished their job.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would love to retrofit heated seats, but dealers around me are downright rude and won't help with component protection.

I'm not talking free work, they won't quote me for that work. Is as if I'm talking a foreign language to them, they are clueless!
As far as I know, CP is only present in modules that are easily stolen (radar on front bumper, stereo, etc.) or like the instrument cluster / IMMO. Seats....don't often see a smashed car window and missing front seats. ;)
I'd guess that you can replace the front seats and if the wiring matches up, you just plug 'em in and go (again - @Cuzoe, having done this with his "S" could verify if my conjecture is accurate).

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
I believe the BCM also has CP...and that's the roadblock for me. Also, any potential adaptations and just by reading Cuzoe's story...nah

The low BCM does not have connectors for heated or power seats. My car is an "S" trim.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm on BCM No. 4 in my car, haha. Despite its capabilities and endless options the BCM is probably the dumbest module in our car. Just inputs and outputs. When you replace it there's only component protection and pairing keys. No parameters or anything like that. Just long coding and adaptations... or just adaptations on a facelift BCM.
Right, I've been following the UK Mk7 threads and your contributions there and elsewhere, along with SouthpawBoston and some of the other owners who have done mods that the Low BCM didn't support. In this case (and I'm hesitant to discuss it at length in Carplay thread) my specific situation is this: (Her) Mk7 GSW S has a MIB2 that I installed with Peter from Chicago's assistance. Her car is also being readied for heated seats: It has heated seats installed, I have the HVAC controls, I have a High BCM from a 2015 GTI with the correct pins, but still need the Kufatec harness, and (most of all) need to complete the tasks associated with the BCM swap. This last one is my weak point, partially because I can't find solid information on all the other tasks, but also bc my VCDS kung-fu is white belt. Since this is a Carplay thread, my question is this: Since the MIB2 was installed with the OE Low BCM, if/when I swap to a High BCM, will I need additional work associated with the MIB2, or will it be taken care of when I do the rest of the VCDS associated work (using the adaptation maps)? As far as Component Protection / keys, I'm stuck with finding a dealer that can do it, and otherwise I guess I was just going to use the guidance found elsewhere to adapt the High BCM. Your experience turned me off from having the dealer do the guided process.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
For lack of more technical terms, the MIB does not care about the BCM. It's not even something you need to think about when doing the BCM. The first time I replaced my BCM I had already done MIB 2 retrofit. My third and fourth BCM, facelift BCMs, I had already done MIB 2.5. No impact at all.

If you have the dealer do the BCM replacement you don't have to worry about coding or adaptations. I did not buy my BCM from the dealer. They had never done it but they looked up the book time for BCM replacement and I believe it was 4 hours. As I mentioned before, I got access to the BCM, which is really just removing some trim pieces. So they cut their quote down to 3 hours.

Of course your dealer might be more willing to replace the BCM if you also buy it from them. And that of course means paying their price. I don't know what that might be. Used BCMs, even facelift high ones, can be found for about $125 on eBay. So it may well be worth trying to convince them to install your customer supplied part with the agreement that they are not going to long-term warranty their work. By that I mean they have to get it working before you drive off the lot, but they aren't going to give you a 6/12 month or whatever their standard warranty is.

There is a 100% fully guided function for replacing the BCM. As long as they follow that it will take care of component protection, keys, coding and all adaptations. Keep in mind that the high module has all of the features of anything lower and then some... Of course that's why you're going to a high anyway.

When they follow the guided function, their diagnostic software is going to pull your VIN and then do all of the coding and adaptations that are applicable. It's always advisable to make VCDS backups, those instructions are on the Ross tech website. But... If the dealer follows the guided function there's actually no need for those backups. You won't have to do anything in VCDS until it's time to code things that your car didn't come with, like heated seats, fog, lights, etc.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Copy all- good info, thanks! If (for any number of reasons) the only dealer service I have done is removal of CP on the new BCM, can I do the rest by VCDS?

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
They need to do your key(s), have to be done at the same time so take them both, or whatever number your have.

The rest you can do with VCDS, yes. Take an adaptation map of your current BCM. You'll also need the long coding. You can probably just copy/paste this but I like screenshots better... Like I took for my BCM upgrade.

There are a ton of adaptation channels, I want to say nearly 2,000. Doing them all in the car will not be fun, haha.
Although if you have a newer VCDS cable you could take a hex map of the old BCM then do a hex restore. This will take care of adaptations.