Upgrade Audi A5 3.0tdi 239HP>347HP

jos_br

TDI
Audi TT>TDI
Upgrade Audi A5 3.0tdi 239HP>347HP/ Audi A4 239HP>360HP

With a FIN-turbo, DPF delete downpipe and JD Engineering software,

We have to make another intercooler, the origininal is too smal.

Jos.

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
We all wish we could get our hands on one of these cars!

What is up with the electronic actuator? Is that a cover or a diff actuator?

jos_br

TDI
Audi TT>TDI
We all wish we could get our hands on one of these cars!

What is up with the electronic actuator? Is that a cover or a diff actuator?
It is a cover because it is a new turbo wich is modified by FIN-turbo.

Jos.

It is a very nice car to drive with.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
nice figures, I actually have the same Fin turbo on my bench, sold it once but still for sale! haha

Those Auto's and Manuals will take that easily!!

Intercooler is a good upgrade, at the limit with stock turbo + Tune IMO

playwithonehand

TDI
Audi A5 3.0
Hi Jos_br

Nice stuff you got there mate, can you tell me the exact model number of the garret FIN turbo please? And also how are you going with the car at the moment, anything extras like bigger intercooler, addition fuel pump or water meth?

Lucky your one is manual as auto only can hold up to 340hp/700nm.

jos_br

TDI
Audi TT>TDI
The turbo is a hybride FIN-turbo. The next car we are going to modify gets another bigger intercooler.

Manual or automatic is not a problem, automatic is stronger now.

Jos.

playwithonehand

TDI
Audi A5 3.0
I also recently got myself a bigger intercooler Core size 600x300x76mm

I will dyno soon to see if there is any increase but hope I can get more 10-15hp+10nm and reduce the EGT ;)

Manual is very good because can handle 800nm torque limit but my auto use zf6hp28 gearbox which can only handle 700nm of torque so going too much may kill my box :(

Any chance you made any video of your car? Have you time your car 0-100k or 1/4 mile?

Check out my angry sound A5 tdi :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLnx-Jley10

Last edited:

prodrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Bmw compact 330d
good results, which have turbo pressure?
smokes?

Last edited:

jos_br

TDI
Audi TT>TDI
An A4 we have build. It is a 3.0tdi 239HP, tiptronic with a bigger intercooler, FIN-turbo, DPF delete (Darkside) and JD Engineering software, without smoke,

Jos.

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
Hi Jos, 1) What year is your A5? There was another guy here with a 2,7L TDI and his clutch slipped at 600NM. When he removed it, it was a LUK clutch.
2) What is the max boost you are running?
3) Have you tried out the VMAX on a neighboring Autobahn?

DannyS

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Audi SQ5 TDI
Jos, I think that car's license plate number is on the picture you posted.

@Eddie, it is not my plate but it seems to be a '07 as well

Last edited:

Ironman 2012

TDI
Audi A5 3,0 TDI
Upgrade Audi A5 3.0tdi

Hi,

This is my first "text" in this massive interesting TDI forum ;-). Especially all content regarding upgrading the Audi A5 3.0 tdi as I have one too.

I tend to make a similar upgrade and have today a new larger intercooler and also an extra turbo waiting for upgrading - and thereafter to be mounted. The turbo will most likely be an upgrade from Darkside Development in UK.

Before I just go ahead I have a couple of questions.

1. I live in Denmark and our lows are very restrictive. I.e. if I remove the DPF and the 2nd year inspection unveil this, I will get a massive ticket - any idea how much power it will take out of the equation ?

I will in the process take out the PDF and "flush" in order to clean it as new - any concerns to this ?

2. My Audi is with manual gear model year 2007/2008 - will the gear be able to go above 600 nm ? (I hear some people say that this is the limit with the old manual gearboxes)

3. Today the car is already chipped and has 302 HP and 582 nm - will I need a remapping of the control box/chip after installing the new upgraded Turbo and larger Intercooler ?

Best Regards

;-) Thomas

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
1. I live in Denmark and our lows are very restrictive. I.e. if I remove the DPF and the 2nd year inspection unveil this, I will get a massive ticket - any idea how much power it will take out of the equation ?

I will in the process take out the PDF and "flush" in order to clean it as new - any concerns to this ?

2. My Audi is with manual gear model year 2007/2008 - will the gear be able to go above 600 nm ? (I hear some people say that this is the limit with the old manual gearboxes)

3. Today the car is already chipped and has 302 HP and 582 nm - will I need a remapping of the control box/chip after installing the new upgraded Turbo and larger Intercooler ?
1. If you hollow out the dpf, they will not be able to tell from looking on the outside. The tune can do dpf delete with everything in place untouched and only hollowed out on inside.
2. I think on the 2008 A5 the clutch has held over 600NM, so you should be ok. If not you can ask the tuner to reduce the fuel a bit when initial flooring of accelerator.
3. Real 302HP with DPF is not good. Exhaust temperature maybe too high. If he turned off temp related limiter in tune it might damage car. Remap definitely useful. New Turbo can give more air pressure (boost) to make more power.

jos_br

TDI
Audi TT>TDI
The A5 has always the right gearbox, manual or automatic. Both can handle 700nm. You have to remove the DPF, otherwise the EGT wil be too high. If you want more than 360hp you have to look for a way to get more fuel in the engine...the injectors are not big enough.....:(

Jos.

Last edited:

Ironman 2012

TDI
Audi A5 3,0 TDI
Hi Eddie and Jos!

Thanks for your nice answers on my 3 questions. I have today bought a Supersprint DPF replacement and tend to install it in the process.

I will fit the car for the 2. yearly inspection with the "old" PDF as it will be placed in the rear end (maybe hidden in the muffler) so that the emission when measuring is OK - and then take it of again (like a plug and play solution ;-).

So now I just need to send my Turbo to Darkside Development for an upgrade, install it all an get a remap and see how much more power I can get ;-)

Thanks gentlemen !

;-) T

Grede

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Citigo, Hyundai I30 1.6diesel
Hi Eddie and Jos!

Thanks for your nice answers on my 3 questions. I have today bought a Supersprint DPF replacement and tend to install it in the process.

I will fit the car for the 2. yearly inspection with the "old" PDF as it will be placed in the rear end (maybe hidden in the muffler) so that the emission when measuring is OK - and then take it of again (like a plug and play solution ;-).

So now I just need to send my Turbo to Darkside Development for an upgrade, install it all an get a remap and see how much more power I can get ;-)

Thanks gentlemen !

;-) T
Best solution, put DPF back når bilen den skal til syn, but do it about one week before going to inspection so the DPF can clean the sot of the mufler.!
Nogle synmænd bliver tosset hvis de ser en DPF bil med sorte udstødningsrør, det er tegn på at filteret ikke virker.
And check with you tuner if they know how to control the hybrid..you are going to get a remap after installing the new turbo.

JoshPiotr

TDI
A5 3.0 TDI 2011
Hey,

I have a 2011 Audi A5 3.0tdi.

It has a 3inch downpipe into a dpf delete and is finished off with the reiger quad exhaust.

Currently it has an evolve technik tune which has rated the car at:

performance 176 kW 221 kW 45 kW
torque 500 Nm 610 Nm 110 Nm
maximum speed 250 Kmh 272 Kmh 22 Kmh

The car is due for a larger intercooler, carbon air intake, gearbox tune and ideally, a larger turbo.

From my understanding my car has a K04 turbo inside which is quite large. What is the step that you guys have gone up to in size? do you have a link for the ones here? Is it better to go TT or keep with a single turbo on the diesel?

My next question is about smoke. The boost is at 1.7? or 1.6 bar and I am getting huge amounts of black smoke which is coating the rear end of the car. What do I have to do to reduce this?

In saying all of this, what kind of power expectations can we expect out of the car?

0-100 average was about 5.2 seconds and the best run was 5.07 seconds.

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
Hi. Your car should have a Garrett GT2260VK or one of its variants as a turbo. It can be modified to have larger wheels in it. Finturbo is one place I can recommend, and I have heard of good things from few other turbo shops as well. Just get a turbo with the largest turbine you can possibly find. Its the most important part of the equation.

I have done a 2009 model 3.0TDI with DPF delete and it got 299hp and 610nm prectically smoke free. EGT reached 855c max on the dyno.

prodrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Bmw compact 330d
JoshPiotr
Your car has gtb2260vzk, you need more pressure to reduce the smoke
You need a turbo more large or modify yours, I currently have 350hp and 860nm