Updated: Fuel Level Sending unit repair/replace 2002 ALH NB

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
If the Thermostatic Tee was leaking, wouldn't that relieve the vacuum created when I draw fuel from the tank?

By inspection of the fuel filler opening, the breather valve has a lever that's moved when you replace the fuel cap.

I'm going to repeat the priming operation tomorrow with the correct fittings (I left my Mighty Vac at home today!)
I thought I had fixed my problem and it seemed to have done it for like three days, more power, no fuel starvation behavior, then when I went to start after running an errand parked on level ground it did the dying thing after the first start. I sat there for about 20 seconds in stunned disbelief, lol, then started it again and it worked, hasn't done it in several days...BUT...as mentioned above the eBAY guy from who I bought it posted chapter and verse what he calls from the VW Parts catalog that the model he sent me should work in my 2002 1.9 TDI ALH NB...but he will give me a discount on anything else I care to buy, lol. I may be back to putting this new one in as a lift pump if there is no real downside and it will work if I follow the repair notes.

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
I thought I had fixed my problem and it seemed to have done it for like three days, more power, no fuel starvation behavior, then when I went to start after running an errand parked on level ground it did the dying thing after the first start. I sat there for about 20 seconds in stunned disbelief, lol, then started it again and it worked, hasn't done it in several days...BUT...as mentioned above the eBAY guy from who I bought it posted chapter and verse what he calls from the VW Parts catalog that the model he sent me should work in my 2002 1.9 TDI ALH NB...but he will give me a discount on anything else I care to buy, lol. I may be back to putting this new one in as a lift pump if there is no real downside and it will work if I follow the repair notes.
Just as an end to this first part of the process, lol, here is what the eBay guy said about the part he had on his site. Apparently there was a 2002 NB 1.9l that had a fuel pump in it, lol:

"Hi there,
The VW parts catalog shows your car takes this part. See pictures attached. Part number 1J0919050 fits 1999-2005 Beetle 1.9L. Our listing reflects that information. Unfortunately since it had gas residue on it the smell won't go away, we can't take it back as it will smell used. I can give you a discount towards whatever you might need next time, brake pads, belts, shocks, etc. Anything you would normally replace for regular maintenance. "

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok this has been a little hard to follow, but looks like your old unit is the stock one for an ALH (no pump, just fuel level sender), the new one is for a BEW (has a lift pump). That is an upgrade, but I’m not sure if it will let fuel through if you don’t get the pump wired in though.

I’m not sure I understand, did the dealer install the new sending unit/pump and tank? And it was after they did that the starting issue began?
Dude, I may not have answered you, sorry. They did replace the tank and after that was when the lethargy and failed starting started occurring. I am talking about the car 😆. I was pretty much done with them by then after I had to go back and redo my emergency brake cables, and then I discovered belatedly they had removed my aftermarket rear shocks and put back stock height shocks which is causing no end to banging when the body goes to the end of the piston, lol. It also started overflowing when I would fill it to the exact same spot as I have done for several years. I could be just having some brain melt but when I started looking more closely down the tube it seemed like I had never seen that tube entrance before, it looked different, like there was a slot that looked like fuel would go down it when I don't recall that at all before, my tube was solid nearly to the vent as I recall. See below. I got under and checked both vents that right angle and go back toward the tank generally, they looked ok but I have filled to the brim yet to see where the fuel comes out. They also hacked through the fender well like they used a chain saw. SMH. When I saw the 19 year old guy who was working on it I almost waved them off but I did not want to put that new axle on, didn't have time for that so I let it happen.

Here is the fuel entrance. The vent looks ok, there was no leaking inside the taillight area, I dunno.

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Would someone be willing to get a pic of their fuel filler area, although I am unsure if the filler area is the same across multiple years of NB, thanks for any intel.