Updated...Car doesn't run right w/ EGR

wwhalenc

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Jetta with AHU
Updated...Car doesn\'t run right w/ EGR

Hello, I was just wondering... Can the EGR get clogged up and the intake still be unclogged? My car runs perfectly fine w/ the EGR [disconnected]..as soon as the vacuum line is reconnected the car hesitates and bucks under 2k rpm. Like I said...runs perfectly fine without the EGR, so I'm wondering if it just the EGR can be screwed up with the Intake manifold ok (i.e. UNclogged). The A3/AHU engine has 69K on it. Any thoughts?

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Am I the only one? Car doesn\'t run right w/ EGR

I'm not sure that I understand.

The EGR is a circular assembly on the intake manifold. The only connection to it is a vacuum hose. Is this what you are talking about?

If you are disconnecting an electrical plug on an A3, it isn't the EGR valve.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow

Perhaps it is the solenoid valve that controls the egr valve... the one that is like the N75 valve. Or, the egr valve is sticking.

intensity

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta/02/Galaxy Blue

For some strange reason, I think he's talking about his MAF??! /images/graemlins/crazy.gif /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

EDIT : I didn't notice the fact that it was a a3

wwhalenc

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Jetta with AHU

Sorry guys...to clarify: I recently got the car and the engine has been runnning flawlessly BUT the CEL has been on (wasn't too concerned as this is an A2 conversion...just figured it was glow plug related or something). Finally got around to VAG-ing and the code turned out to be EGR control difference. Sure enough I found the vaccum hose going to the had a tear near the end and was leaking. OK..easy fix...cut off the hose below the damage and reattached. So the good new is the CEL hasn't come back on. The bad: the car runs like crap under about 1800rpm. No more leisurely cruising under no load at 1500rpm for me!...to jerky. I guess my question was, is this consistent with a clogged intake? If yes, I say...but wait: the car ran perfectly before the EGR was attached. My other question, could the hesitation/jerking/bucking be caused by the EGR itself? Any ideas? Thanks for your time either way. --C

wwhalenc

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Jetta with AHU

Uh oh...this doesn't look good. So this is NOT normal?

Blades

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS TDI

mk3 swap in mk2 ?

How about, bye bye EGR, bye bye CCV ? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

That's what we do /images/graemlins/smile.gif

wwhalenc

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Jetta with AHU

I know...It's a '91...unfortunately in Colorado that's the earliest model year for which a CEL is an automatic emissions certification failure.

cage

Top Post Dawg

Clean the EGR and the car will run fine again. These cars will hesitate and stumble if the EGR is hanging up. Your EGR probably hasn't moved for a while and now hangs open or pops open when the ECU is trying to operate it. Clean it up and you will be fine.