UPDATED-B100 on site Saturday-UPDATED!

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
NOTE: UPDATED FOR PRICE AND TIME!
We are good to go! The last needed approval has just been authorized. We will have B100 on site on Saturday from 8 until 10.
Loud Fuel of Falmouth MA will be providing a tanker truck with meter for dispensing B100. Due to complexities involving petroleum diesel and the added permit requirements for that type of fuel we regret that we will not be offering B20 for those that prefer it. Petroleum diesel (B-zero) is available at the Mobil station on the corner to make your own B20 blend if you desire.
Loud gets its fuel from World Energy. This is not home brew of unknown quality.
The price per gallon will be $3.513 per gallon which includes all US federal and MA state road fuel taxes.
Payment terms are credit cards (Visa, M/C, AmEx, Discover) or US cash. Checks will not be accepted, nor will non-US currencies.

Phoenix42

Veteran Member
TDI
'08 Mazda3 Hatch
B100 on site Saturday

Great!
I was down at their place in Falmouth some months back, very helpful and very friendly.

105Uphill

Veteran Member
TDI
98 & 99.5 Jettas Black
B100 on site Saturday

I have not had the pleasure of bio-diesel yet. So is this a good price and will one tank make any difference?

There is a B-20 station somewhere in Providence where I work, but have not got around to going there yet.

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
B100 on site Saturday

John,

You'll definitely smell the difference coming out of your tailpipe. If you haven't smelled it before, it smells vaguely of french fries. Very cool. You'll also probably notice a difference in how smoothly the engine runs, due to the extra lubricity. It's not much, but it's there. Your MPGs will probably be a bit lower for that tank. It's also not a bad way to clean out your fuel system a bit, from what I gather. I haven't purchased it in some time, so I can't speak to the price, but from what I understand bio always runs higher than diesel does.

JettaJake

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 GLS 5spd
B100 on site Saturday

So is this a good price and will one tank make any difference?

There is a B-20 station somewhere in Providence where I work, but have not got around to going there yet.
Price is a decent deal....last B100 I bought was $3.45 in Maryland. I'd get some B20 in your ride ASAP....the place in Prov is not straightforward to get to.....suggest asking TDIinRI for precise location....Jake did his usual 105 uphill today on the way back from work ^_^

cu at the fest!

T

Lug_Nut

TDI
B100 on site Saturday

Will you notice a difference? Yes. Smoother, quieter, much less odor, and its not an unpleasant odor at that. Much less smoke or soot.
Will it be worth the cost? I can't decide for you. It is well worth the premium to me.
The per gallon price of $3.134 is very good. Consider that I just bought 100 gallons from another supplier this past week and paid slightly higher even after my bulk quantity discount.
I'll looking at buying 100 gallons at the fest to tide me over until about Thanksgiving.
B.T.W., For those in the area: Loud will be open on Saturdays again beginning this late summer / early fall.

105Uphill

Veteran Member
TDI
98 & 99.5 Jettas Black
B100 on site Saturday

My kids hate the car for the smell. French fry smell may help with that, at least make us hungry all the time.

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
B100 on site Saturday

I guess I will be finding out just how many 5 gal containers will fit in a Golf...

Phoenix42

Veteran Member
TDI
'08 Mazda3 Hatch
B100 on site Saturday

Eight of the Blitz ones will fit nicely in the trunk.
You could easily slip too more on the floor behind the front seats - be careful though you don't want BD on the seat fabric.

Bike_First

TDI
Golf GLS 4 door hatchback, 2001, white
B100 on site Saturday

Fair warning! Many first-time users of B100 who've been burning "dino-diesel" (as in, from the age of the dinosaurs) will find that it's a GREAT lubricant (giving a smooth, quiet ride), but also a great solvent that frees up all the garbage in the bottom of your tank.

Therefore, you are not unlikely to need a new fuel filter almost immediately. So have one ready at hand, and be prepared to do a filter change on the road. I went through 2 filters recently when putting B100 in a Golf with 85K dino miles on it.

An alternative is to buy b100, but mix it in the tank, slowly increasing the percentage. Say, start at 20% and go up in 10% increments with each fill-up. In that way you may not overwhelm the filter's capacity, or at least do so less rapidly.

That said, have a blast.

Sign me,
Two year "veteran" of the veggie-oil and b100 experience.

BawlsyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, someday a getta, 2001, baltic green
B100 on site Saturday

I have not had the pleasure of bio-diesel yet. So is this a good price and will one tank make any difference?

95 south (from downtown and all pnts north).
Exit 18. Stay to the right, make said right at end of ramp. Pull a U-ie, nate turn, turn around, whatever you have to do. Head back toward the hiway. Right before the southbound on-ramp, turn right. The station is right there on the left. It's not all that hard to get to at all.

Lug_Nut

TDI
B100 on site Saturday

Fair warning! I went through 2 filters recently when putting B100 in a Golf with 85K dino miles on it.
Second opinion: I have deliberately not changed the fuel filter in the 150,000 mile Passat I purchased. I have used nothing but B100 since I bought it. I have yet to have any fuel filter related issues in 5,000+ miles.
I don't know how likely it is that the previous owners ALSO used BD, but I strongly suspect that the chances are very slim. I also don't know if a mere 5,000 miles, even on B100, is enough to overwhelm the filter.
Bike1st, How many miles on B100 did it take to cause problems with the filters?

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
B100 on site Saturday

i filled my tank up with b100 several times after 90k miles on dino, never had a problem... doesn't seem to effect everyone. maybe it's a geographical problem?

BeetleGo

TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
B100 on site Saturday

For those who are expecting their exhaust to smell like french fries with B100, unless it was processed from used cooking grease it's kind of a leap to say that it does. More like buttery... ? Very hard to pinpoint.

One thing's for sure, it certainly makes your car smell futuristic!

Anyone who is concerned about using this stuff on a car that already has a lot of miles on it, the standard recommendation is to ramp up your percentages. And while you won't necessarily end up with a clogged fuel filter (I didn't), it's a reasonable disclaimer to suggest that you have a backup filter handy just in case.

OUnce-a prevention, and all that.

~BG

Bike_First

TDI
Golf GLS 4 door hatchback, 2001, white
B100 on site Saturday

Thanks for the other opinions!

My fuel filter failures happened within the first 100 miles after switching to B100. Could be that the previous owner bought fuel from some cruddy tank. Could also be related to some high glycerin B100 that World Energy sold into the region in July. Hopefully they've since fixed that quality control issue! A bunch of us had trouble with filters after that. But, I also know that generally, they say that it can't hurt to ramp up slowly, they being Tickell, GlobalE Industries, etc.

So take your pick and take your chances. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have an extra fuel filter on hand, just in case.

Lug_Nut

TDI
Please read the edited original post at the top of this thread. It contains new price and availibility time.
There has been yet another price increase. The price originally listed will not be available.
F1 Boston has requested that we have our track time moved up to accomodate another group later in the day. This has caused us to move the biodiesel delivery up the same amount of time.
I apologise in advance if these late price and time changes cause any severe conflicts.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
B100 on site Saturday

I have a couple of questions:

1. Will I receive any benefit from using B100 for a single tank? I don't think I'll be able to access it consistently.

2. Will 5 gallon containers of B100 be available? I'd like to be able to "mix my own" B20.

3. Does B100 (or B20) help clean the intake? I'm wondering if using B100 for a while can save me cleaning it out manually.

I'd appreciate your answers and insights.

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
B100 on site Saturday

1) a warm feeling in the cockles of your heart.

2) nope. byo containers.

3) nope.

JettaJake

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 GLS 5spd
B100 on site Saturday

1) a warm feeling in the cockles of your heart - <font color="green">and at >$3.50/gal (ouch!), a decided kink in the depths of your wallet. Normalizing for the increased mileage you get with diesel over gas, the cost equates to about $2.50/gal, i.e., you're paying more than gassers pay for their gasoline. Even so, zero sulfur and the fact it comes from a renewable source cinch it for me.</font>

2) nope. byo containers - <font color="green">yellow 5 gal plastic jugs are typically under $6/ea at wallyworld (may not be in stock but the red ones work just as well). You can easily put 10 of them in the back of a wagon.</font>

3) nope -<font color="green"> no experience here at <40K miles, but is it really that cut & dried Derrick? I would have to think its use can at least delay the need to clean the intake...</font>
~48 hrs & I'll be in Braintree --- wooohooo

Lug_Nut

TDI
B100 on site Saturday

I believe that B100 does actually allow the intake (and presumably the head, too) to self clean. That is, with the significant reduction in the soot level the air flow alone will scour the residue on the walls.
I had been cleaning my intake annually. After switching to B100 I noticed that the intake I had cleaned and installed a year (and 35,000 miles) earlier, was actually cleaner, almost shiney aluminum, the next year. This is with a functioning EGR and CCV. I left the intake in place.
I don't know if B20 will have the same results, and a single tank definitely won't.

bowlerman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi black
B100 on site Saturday

i just go to walmart and buy the water jugs. they hold 6 gallons and cost 5 bucks a piece. better then 15 a piece for a gas can.

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
B100 on site Saturday

i just go to walmart and buy the water jugs. they hold 6 gallons and cost 5 bucks a piece. better then 15 a piece for a gas can.
The state of Massachusetts is pretty fussy on stuff like this. To be on the safe side, have containers approved for the purpose of holding fuel. I do not know for sure but I doubt Loud Fuel will dipense fuel into anything but. This will also help reduce the risk of spillage in your vehicle!!