(Update) Help! Massive Oil Loss after collision with pothole

Jimmy

Veteran Member
No doubt you hit terra-firma hard with the oil pan, and I seem to recall you are not the the first: Search for "Oil Pan" amongst the forums. I think this particular issue is bit of an oversite on the part of VW.

I know many owners have opted for the 1" lowered springs - but based on the occurances of the aforesaid - that 1" could easily mean the difference between having, or not having, oil in the sump. Sorry.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
My mother inlaw just bought a 2002 beetle (gaser) and it only has about 1/3 of the lower cover that my 200 beetle has.

I noticed a piece of steel "skid plate"(3/16-1/4" thick) sticky tapped to the oil pan. Is this common to gassers only or is this something new for all?

Anyone have a 2002 that can confirm this?

This skid plated could probably stop a lot of pan failures. The oil pan looks the same as the TDI.

dparnell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I think I was the first to hole a pan. They're brittle aluminum. They're about $150+ a $10 tube of sealant. Don't know what the labor chg would be(did my own) & you may chg filter as well.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
MITBeta, sorry to hear about that kind of BS. Welcome back to Boston!

Regardless, you did the right thing by shutting the car down. Hopefully nothing more than a belly pan + new oil pan. I would probably file an ins. claim on something like that.

Hope you can still make the GTG in a couple of weeks.

MITBeta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2004 Sprinter CDI Passenger (Mid/High), former: 1996 Passat TDI Variant
Well, I guess it sounds like it's not the end of the world after all. From searching some archives here and at Vortex, it sounds like a pretty common problem, especially given that the 2002s have a design modification to protect the pans. I think I'm going to follow two courses of action in terms of payment/reimbursement: 1. lean on the dealer to replace it under warranty since it really does seem to be a known design flaw and 2. file a claim with the city of Boston. I found a website that tells you how to go about it, and as long as the whole thing is less than $250 it sounds like they don't even question it.

I understand that it's a pretty easy job to do, but I guess I'd have to get the car towed from the dealer to my house, get the parts and do it, and that sounds like more hassle than it's worth unless my dealer wants 300+ to do the job...

Anyone else have quotes on how much it cost them to fix?

I also don't think I'll be buying a new plastic cover, since it looked like there were just a few holes in it, which is really no big deal as far as I'm concerned.

I still fully plan to attend the GTG next month. I'd actually like to install my Oil Guard at that time... (tough to guard the oil when it's all over the streets of Boston...)

MITBeta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2004 Sprinter CDI Passenger (Mid/High), former: 1996 Passat TDI Variant
I hit a pothole today and within three blocks the oil light/alarm was flashing and making noise. I pulled over about 50 yards later (as soon as there was space) and shut the car off.

There was a large (ie couple of inches across) tear in the plastic under-engine cover and a smaller puncture. Oil was pouring out.

I called the VW Roadside assistance number and after an hour and 45 minute wait they towed my car to my local dealer where it will have to sit until Monday.

Does anyone know what broke? Was it the oil pan itself? If so, how much should I expect to pay for this kind of repair?

Do you think any/much damage was done in the short time the car ran with the hole? I obviously didn't lose all the oil, but it was leaking quite fast and I left a nice trail down the street.

Thanks in advance for any info...

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: MITBeta ]

Hollywood

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat Sedan
My dad decided to take mom's TDI out in the ice last winter and holed the pan. It was a puncture wound about the diameter of a pencil. We removed the pan and took it to a friend who welds aluminum and he fixed it right up. No problems since. If the damage is minor, I would recccomend this route.

dparnell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
The dealer won't repair---only replace. I kept my old pan & JB welded it on both sides of crack---probably stronger than original.

cage

Top Post Dawg
I did the same thing. I too wanted to replace the plastic panel under the car 'til I found out is costs $200.00!!!!!! Talk about a rip off!

MITBeta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So the news is that I need a new pan -> $140 plus labor $140. Total of $280... not terrible, but not fantastic... the good news is that the cover is not in bad shape so I'll keep the old one and not have to fork over $200 for a new one.

Does anybody have any experience with filing a warrantly claim in this situation? Clearly there is a design flaw since the 2002s have a steel plate across the bottom of the aluminum oil pan. The guy at the $tealership says he can't replace it under warranty but that I can take it up with VWofA.

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
I very much doubt you'll have any luck getting warranty coverage. Most warranties I've seen specifically exclude collision damage, and this clearly was that, unless you can prove the defect CAUSED the collision. And that looks to be a bit of a stretch to me!