Upcoming Release of 2015 TDI's from Stop Order

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
I wouldnt call it last chance. If you already have one...just keep it. Easy peasy. If you dont, buy one. Also, keep in mind, jalopnik has been producing a flurry of anti diesel articles of late. Perhaps for a reason?
I would hardly refer to Jalopnik as real journalism, that's for sure. Entertainment maybe, but not real, well-researched journalism...

phrinda

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI- bought back
I would hardly refer to Jalopnik as real journalism, that's for sure. Entertainment maybe, but not real, well-researched journalism...
It's kind of hard to read what they write sometimes. I don't think that I have ever read a positive piece about VW on their website. I get it, not everyone is a VW fan, but they seem to be directly opposed to VW all of the time.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
It's kind of hard to read what they write sometimes. I don't think that I have ever read a positive piece about VW on their website. I get it, not everyone is a VW fan, but they seem to be directly opposed to VW all of the time.
Most any loved make that people are passionate about that is a non-supercar....much like they hate MINI....
It all about clicks....and driving folks to read and comment.
They don't want to be your friend....just want your emotions to MAKE you read and comment, so you will be an "engaged" reader, and this means higher advertising revenue per click.

phrinda

Veteran Member
TDI
Most any loved make that people are passionate about that is a non-supercar....much like they hate MINI....
It all about clicks....and driving folks to read and comment.
They don't want to be your friend....just want your emotions to MAKE you read and comment, so you will be an "engaged" reader, and this means higher advertising revenue per click.
Have you read their recent VW articles? It's pretty humorous. Just for example, they recently wrote an article about the alltrack. If you aren't following it, the alltrack has received fairly universally good reviews. The reviews aren't perfect, but they are overwhelmingly positive except for jalopnick. I don't even care about that. What I find funny is that the tone of the article was very "we don't like VW, we think this car is stupid, and you should too. Buy a Subaru".

It gets even better if you decide to wade into the stinking cesspool of humanity that the comment sections have become.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
According to a recent jalopinic article, VW will not bring diesel back to the USA...
Came out this AM...
The the 2015 is it...last chance.
Might be the LAST train out of Dodge.

.. lest we forget the low mileage (used) 2015 TDIs in the market place:D:):D:):eek:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
"we don't like VW, we think this car is stupid, and you should too. Buy a Subaru".
Not defending jalopnic, but just looking on paper and not driving either Alltrack or Subaru, I'd have to agree you'd have to have a beef with subaru to not buy the outback.

Alltrack should be be able to be optioned as a Golf S priced $1500-$2000 more than a FWD.

phrinda

Veteran Member
TDI
Not defending jalopnic, but just looking on paper and not driving either Alltrack or Subaru, I'd have to agree you'd have to have a beef with subaru to not buy the outback.

Alltrack should be be able to be optioned as a Golf S priced $1500-$2000 more than a FWD.
I don't understand this mindset. Granted this is only my opinion, but... I spent a good amount of time researching Subarus. I was generally impressed with the options and price, but all of the options, be it the outback of the crosstrek, failed for me in one important area. They don't have impressive drivetrains. Either you get power and sacrifice fuel economy or you get good fuel economy and get an anemic engine mated with a CVT. Honestly the Outback is larger than what I want. I have a Pilot to move the whole family. The crosstrek is smaller than I want. I just want to add a little space and AWD to my golf. Add to this the fact that I have been less than impressed with the interiors in Subarus as compared to VW. So, I have nothing against Subaru, but for my own reasons I choose the Alltrack.

Edit: I spent quite a while looking into the HR-V as well. I've owned a few Honda vehicles and I have never been let down. The HR-V has the same problem. The car has a CVT and doesn't make its HP and TQ until near its red line. My local dealership had said that power was the biggest complaint about the HR-V and that they thought a turbo might be in the works for 2017. Sadly, it was not.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Having had to see what Subarus turn into, I'd have to shy away from them too. Rusty, leaky, oil burning turds. I won't ever tout Volkswagens as being perfect, but I really cannot fathom how anyone can really be gaga over Subaru.

My 11 year old Passat wagon feels like a tank in comparison, and it is somehow faster despite being heavier, and uses less fuel to boot, than a comparable AWD wagon. And even at 215k miles it still performs admirably and it has no rust holes of any kind anywhere, uses very little oil, and has never had to have its cylinder head removed.

And I will pit its tough all mechanical Torsen system up against anything in foul weather. It goes like a mountain yak through snow and hilly rough terrain.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Subarus I've driven are inferior to VW in materials, finish, sound deadening, power delivery, transmission options, and styling. They make inexpensive, reliable cars, but they also rust like crazy in the Northeast. I wouldn't buy one.

phrinda

Veteran Member
TDI

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
I just don't want to believe that VW will no longer sell TDI passenger cars.
There is still strong diesel passenger cars market in Usa in spite of all these negative talks about diesels by the misleading media. I have a high hope we will see 2018 year model TDI's in the market. Maybe we should all email VW to resume selling diesel cars again!!

Last edited:

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
I just don't want to believe that VW will no longer sell TDI passenger cars.
There is still strong diesel passenger cars market in Usa in spite of all these negative talks about diesels by the misleading media. I have a high hope we will see 2018 year model TDI's in the market. Maybe we should all email VW to resume selling diesel cars again!!
That statement is not even in the ballpark. Diesel passenger cars represent at most a "niche" market in the U.S.

http://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/sites/r...ons/bts_fact_sheets/oct_2015/html/entire.html

In 2014, over 16.4 million passenger cars and light trucks were sold in the United States [USDOC BEA 2015]. Diesel-powered cars accounted for about 3 percent of total auto sales in the United States, which is considerably lower than 50 percent in Europe [LUSSENHOP 2015]. In 2014, Volkswagen accounted for more than half of U.S. diesel car sales (figure 2) with diesel version of just three models—the Jetta, Passat, and Golf [COBB 2015].
Edit: It's not much of a stretch to say that it is literally not worth VW's time and money to "clean up their act" and field a conforming diesel engine. I have a hard time believing that the ROI is worth it...

Last edited:

phrinda

Veteran Member
TDI
My read of that article is about 180 degrees out from your interpretation.
yeah, after a re-read I may have just had my opinion ruined by the comments section. oh well. Totally off topic, how is the recharge time on your e-golf with solar?

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I have an SE with a 3.6KWh charger (they also have 7.2KWh and DCFC available as an option now with the mid-year update SE and standard on SEL models) so it can't charge faster than 16A.

It takes the same amount of time regardless of power source: ~22KWh capacity charged @120v takes about 14 hours with the stock EVSE and 7 hours with our 240v EVSE.

Typically, due to our commuting patterns, we are fully charged in about 2-3 hours. The source doesn't matter, except if we used all the range every day we'd be charging at night and would need a battery if we didn't want to rely on the grid as a battery source.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'm in the 2018 buyback club. I'll have a much better sense of the market, I'll know by then how the fix affected performance/mpg, and I'll be able to digest all the deals being offered on 2015's, 2016's, 2018's (if they're going to be making them), and gas Jetta's. I'm in no hurry. More than happy to drive my car dep'n-free for two years and get my avg 42 mpg for those two years.
That's the point I'm at with my JSW. Hang on to it until I know what the fix will do or they say no fix. If no fix, then I'll walk away with $14K to put towards something else. If a fix, I'll take the $5100 and use as a down payment in the new Chevy diesel SUV. Probably give one of the daughters the wagen at that time.

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
My local dealers have gone full retard and one has stated they are planning to sell 2015's for full msrp

I laughed really hard over the phone and he got defensive

Personally I think I'm going to turn in my 2015, take the cash and get something fun for a couple years and see what happens in 2018

I really dont want to own a vehicle long term that has an engine that was only in the US for 1 year and with somewhat limited sales

Parts are going to become an issue much sooner than they normally would be

phrinda

Veteran Member
TDI
My local dealers have gone full retard and one has stated they are planning to sell 2015's for full msrp
The crucial thing here is that the dealers may be able to sell these cars at that price. They probably have a very limited number of these cars. If they have enough people looking to buy a "new" TDI that may well be the end of the run, they may very well be able to get at or near MSRP. They don't have to sell a lot of them or even find ways to keep people coming back for them. They only need to find enough people willing to buy the very limited stock that they have on hand.

I'm not saying that they are worth MSRP as a two year old car. I'm just saying that they may not have as hard a time selling them as we might hope.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
The crucial thing here is that the dealers may be able to sell these cars at that price. They probably have a very limited number of these cars. If they have enough people looking to buy a "new" TDI that may well be the end of the run, they may very well be able to get at or near MSRP. They don't have to sell a lot of them or even find ways to keep people coming back for them. They only need to find enough people willing to buy the very limited stock that they have on hand.

I'm not saying that they are worth MSRP as a two year old car. I'm just saying that they may not have as hard a time selling them as we might hope.
Another thought occurred to me ... they could be using these to push the 2017s'. I've seen dealers do this with used cars, why not "new" ones that have been sitting around for up to 2 years?

BTW, I see a bunch of 2017 GSW 4 Motions now. These look like a nice option priced in the mid 20's, but so far I have only seen the S trim. :(

The SE/SEL Alltracks are ridiculously overpriced in the low to mid 30's, but look nice.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Interesting, I was just reading the alltrack thread and people over there were speculating that the GSW AWD wouldn't be out for a few more months.

phrinda

Veteran Member
TDI
BTW, I see a bunch of 2017 GSW 4 Motions now. These look like a nice option priced in the mid 20's, but so far I have only seen the S trim. :(
IIRC, the 4Motion is only available on the sportwagen in the S trim. If you want options you have to go Alltrack.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
IIRC, the 4Motion is only available on the sportwagen in the S trim. If you want options you have to go Alltrack.
Well played VW ... well played. :(

And the Alltrack ad campaign just kicked into high gear and looks AWESOME.

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a

I agree.....I suspect that a lot of buyers are going to go full retard because they fear this is the last of the TDI's forever

Well....if its the last of the TDI's then parts are going to get scarce really fast...and I dont want to be left holding that bag.....its like owning a Saab right now

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
One of the definitions of "value" is the dollar amount a willing buyer will pay and a willing seller will accept for an item.

The relatively small number of unused 2015 VW TDIs may drive buyers who like them to pay the asking price.

Time will tell. I hope we receive some feedback to let us know how they sell.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip>
Well....if its the last of the TDI's then parts are going to get scarce really fast...and I dont want to be left holding that bag.....its like owning a Saab right now
We DO own a SAAB right now. We have as our second car an '04 9-5 Sportwagon we bought CPO with 21K on it. It now has close to 190K, and in the past 3-4 years and 40K has needed some significant repairs:
Fuel pump - no problem, new pump installed.
Radiator- no problem, new radiator and hoses installed
Struts and shocks- KONI readily available, no problem
Head gasket blew- no problem finding a new head set, including the one-shot stretch bolts.
Complete exhaust from cat-back
Heater control valve and lots of deteriorated hoses- no problem finding the new parts.
The last of this list was done this year.....and this car is 13 model years old, and 8 years since GM sank SAAB. I suspect that as long as there are enough cars on the road, there will be parts to be had, and people to work on them.

Last edited:

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Well....if its the last of the TDI's then parts are going to get scarce really
fast...and I dont want to be left holding that bag.....its like owning a Saab
right now
You forget the 10 million other MK6 world wide. so parts no problem.

The MK7 TDI's are of course a three year run (EU) and one year (USA).
They still make the MK7 gas version, so plenty of "parts", including all
running gear, transmission, etc... Engine parts? Yea I don't know what
common parts the new engine shares with their other diesels I4 or V6.

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
Having had to see what Subarus turn into, I'd have to shy away from them too. Rusty, leaky, oil burning turds. I won't ever tout Volkswagens as being perfect, but I really cannot fathom how anyone can really be gaga over Subaru.
My 11 year old Passat wagon feels like a tank in comparison, and it is somehow faster despite being heavier, and uses less fuel to boot, than a comparable AWD wagon. And even at 215k miles it still performs admirably and it has no rust holes of any kind anywhere, uses very little oil, and has never had to have its cylinder head removed.
And I will pit its tough all mechanical Torsen system up against anything in foul weather. It goes like a mountain yak through snow and hilly rough terrain.
We had an Audi 90 with the Torsen. You could get it totally crossed up on a gravel road and all you had to do was roll the throttle back on to straighten it out. It was amazing!

Miser_TDI

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS (Galactic Blue, Leather, cold wx) JUST PURCHASED: 2012 Jetta TDI, blue, DSG. Nice car. :)
Wow

Glad I acquired my 2012 when I did ... I've been looking for a used TDI for a coworker who has been trying to scam^H^H^H^Hbuy my 2004 or 2012 off me (no thanks, I want the cars, not the cash) and I am having a very difficult time finding ones with "low miles for a TDI" - all I see are outlandish prices on ALL years - newer, older, it doesn't matter. Definitely a sellers market.

-Miser

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I agree.....I suspect that a lot of buyers are going to go full retard because they fear this is the last of the TDI's forever
And the 1976 Cadillac Eldorado convertible was the last of the American Convertible! Convertibles were going to be legislated out of existence.
They sold for a premium due to the scare, same tactic that the TDIs will be sold under.