UOA - Proper way to get sample?

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
I want to start doing UOA's on my 2012 Passat from the first 10,000 mile change and was wondering what was the proper way to pull a sample...how many ounces? Also, what is the process? Does the company testing the oil send a container or do you just ship in your own?

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
X2. They will send you the container. Just send the sample, info and payment. They will email you a PDF of the results.
Have you had done a UOA on your passat?

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
No but I did 5 (10k, 20k, etc) on my CR Jetta I traded on the Passat. They send you 1 container at first then they sent me another container or two once I submitted a sample. The last sample I sent, they gave me 6 containers as they saw I was a repeat customer. Very easy to work with.

I do intend to get a sample at my 10k change just haven't gotten there yet. Trick is to find a dealer that is willing to do it or draw it yourself. I usually let them get started then conveniently stroll back right about the time they are ready to pull the plug and have the container ready. None of the techs at my dealer have minded catching some oil mid stream for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roshermoore

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW DSG sunroof
Vacuum Pump

I want to start doing UOA's on my 2012 Passat from the first 10,000 mile change and was wondering what was the proper way to pull a sample...how many ounces? Also, what is the process? Does the company testing the oil send a container or do you just ship in your own?

Simplest way to get a sample is to order a vacuum pump from Blackstone.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/vacuum-pump.php

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
How do you clean the tube after use, so that there is no residual used oil left behind?

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof
How do you clean the tube after use, so that there is no residual used oil left behind?
Here is what they say on their website:

The vacuum created by the pump draws the oil into the sample container. The oil never touches the pump, so you don't need to clean it in between uses. You can either dispose of the tubing with each use, or clean it out with a solvent like kerosene.

I just ordered one of their pumps a few days ago. I like that it is cast aluminum, and not plastic like similar pumps that are around the same price (AMSOIL).

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just received mine from Blackstone today. It's the tubing that needs cleaning so one sample doesn't contaminate the next.
Hmmm...won't kerosene leave a residual film? Should I spray some brake cleaner into the tube?

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Just received my sample container from Blackstone today, probably should have bought their little extractor.

heck

TDI
none
Any CAT store has UOA kit comes with new tubing too all for about $13.00 with result emailed back to you or paper form snail mailed.

Dieselducky

Veteran Member
TDI
88 Jetta Diesel - 2000 Jetta TDI - 04 BMW M3 - 06 Kia Rio - F350 Superduty - 87 Buick GNX - Mobile Cranes
Just received mine from Blackstone today. It's the tubing that needs cleaning so one sample doesn't contaminate the next.
Hmmm...won't kerosene leave a residual film? Should I spray some brake cleaner into the tube?
You can use the brake clean as long as it does not eat at the container...or rubbing alcohol

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The Blackstone pump could NOT be easier. Totally mess free. After removing the tubing, sprayed it with brake lean...done!

tupdegrove

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI PD Auto
Just bought an oil extractor and haven't used it yet. How would you get a sample with the extractor? Real newbie here with extractor.