Unsolved Issues - B7 TDi Passat

TDI
B7 Passat 2012
Hi all, I am reaching out here as sort of an urgent cry for help. I have a 2012 tdi passat. 110,000 kilometers, only mods are stage 2 Malone, dsg flash and cold air intake. I drive er hard so I was eventually expecting issues, but these are rather peculiar issues that I don't think I should be having so early, and I have no idea what could be causing them. I've gone to several shops, and most of them had no idea. The only shop that was willing to even look at it is taking it next Friday, but I'm worried the car won't make it.

Issue #1: this is the easiest of the bunch, but I put it here because I'm not sure if it has any connection to issue #2. The engine light is on for a multitude of different codes, all related to the dpf and egr. Things like insufficient flow, something about and sensor and bank 1, dpf regen frequency, etc. I have ordered up a darkside developments delete kit and it will be installed next week

Issue #2: this first came about well after the engine light came on for the dpf. I will do my best to explain it but it is quite tricky to articulate. Basically, when I'm in sport on the highway, around 120 kph, you plant your foot hard and the car hesitates for a few seconds, basically lurches back and forth before it wants to go. Almost feels like the car is choking itself out, and you can hear it in the revs as well, it hesitates and then goes, and hesitates, and goes and then finally gets off smoothly. It has been doing it at various speeds and mostly on the highway. Again, not sure if this is to do with the egr and dpf being problematic or something else. I thought maybe the injectors were gummed up so I filled the tank and added just under 1 full cup of diesel injector cleaner, and then went for a drive. It seems to have helped a bit but hasn't solved the problem. I'm lost.

Issue #3: I don't expect an answer for this one because it's something that would have to be inspected. However, I'm shooting for the moon. I'm gonna post a video under this thread of the sound later today, but basically, when the car is warmed up, if you sit in the driver's seat and leave the door open (because there is so much insulation with the door closed that u wouldn't hear it), I rev it to about 2k and as the revs fall, there's a NASTY rattle from the engine bay. Also a slight rattle under load from somewhere else in the car, but not sure from where and not NEARLY as bad.

Like I said, I am reaching out desperately. If ANYONE has experienced ANY of these issues or knows ANYTHING, PLEASE, I am begging for help, I need the car all weekend long and I don't think it will make it. I want to know if something is critically wrong to the point where I should stop driving and take it in early at another shop. Right now it is certainly still "drive able" but not healthy at all and certainly worrysome to drive. Any help is welcome. Thanks.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sounds like your DPF is clogged. If you have a faulty sensor (bank 1) it may not trigger a regen. If it doesn't do that for a while the dpf will clog. If you replace the sensor the car may regen and go back to normal, or you may have to have a tech force a regen to clean out the DPF. This isn't uncommon, most repair shops would be able to diagnose and repair it.

Worst case it won't clear out. But it sounds like you have that solved with the Darkside kit.

The hesitation on acceleration is most likely linked to the clogged DPF. Airflow through the turbo is restricted, which will cause hesitation, possibly even limp mode if left uncorrected.

An the rattles you're hearing are most likely loose heat shields. The delete will also fix that, probably by removing the shields.

Last edited:
TDI
B7 Passat 2012
Sounds like your DPF is clogges. If you have a faulty sensor (bank 1) it may not trigger a regen. If it doesn't do that for a while the dpf will clog. If you replace the sensor the car may regen and go back to normal, or you may have to have a tech force a regen to clean out the DPF. This isn't uncommon, most repair shops would be able to diagnose and repair it.

Worst case it won't clear out. But it sounds like you have that solved with the Darkside kit.

The hesitation on acceleration is most likely linked to the clogged DPF. Airflow through the turbo is restricted, which will cause hesitation, possibly even limp mode if left uncorrected.

An the rattles you're hearing are most likely loose heat shields. The delete will also fix that, probably by removing the shields.
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. I actually removed my engine cover as a joke and believe it or not it solved the rattle I spoke of in my third issue, there is still a slight rattle under load but as you mentioned that may be due to the heat shields. Thank you very much!!!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The CKRAs have a bad issue with injectors causing nailing and slight to moderate missing under load, usually just during the first few minutes of warmup. But they can get bad enough to happen for a while, 30+ minutes. Sometimes you can re-enter the injector cal numbers in the ECU, sometimes they just need new injectors.

A rattle at idle could be the DMF or a locked up alternator pulley.

TDI
B7 Passat 2012
Rattle at idle is def not the dmf because it's a dsg. For now, like I had mentioned, I removed the engine cover as a joke and the rattle stopped, I will wait and see if it comes back. As far as the injectors are concerned the missing which we speak of during acceleration happens throughout the entirety of my drives, not just for a while. It def has to do with faulty dpf and or bad injectors. I just wanted some insight from others to see if I was right. I was 99% sure but not fully convinced. Unfortunately the dark side kit is on backorder ATM. I have emailed them to ask them to get it to me asap, as they mentioned they could rearrange some jobs to speed things up. Let's see what happens. Fingers crossed. Thank you for your help.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
DSGs have the very most common of DMFs that fail and rattle. ;) I do them all the time.

Got a whole thread about it:

TDI
B7 Passat 2012
Excuse my ignorance because I'm only 19. But I heard from someone who is apparently very inexperienced that dmf is a "manual" thing only. Pardon me now I know I guess 🤣 will def ask to have that checked next week now that you mention it. Learn something new every day but damn this is embarrassing, thanks again 😅