UNOFFICIAL Adblue Heater Element Failure Thread

14tdipassat

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat SE 6M
Add another. 41k miles, about 23 months old. VWOA took care of it, dealer estimate was $1050 +/-.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
"Safety in number..."
P203B code: Add me to the list. I have a great relationship with my dealer. Now I'll get to find out HOW great!

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Curious. 3 days later, the check engine light is no longer illuminated. Now what do I do? I'll run another scan and see what's up...

Fingers302

TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI
2013 Passat, check engine light (MIL)
96k miles
P202A
Havent noticed any symptoms. My mechanic says its a $1000 to fix. I think I'll wait a while and see what VW plans to do with their little emissions problem.

kromicacid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL - Fixed
Just had mine repaired.

Year: 2012
Mileage: 130,000
Warning Light(s): Check Engine Light (solid yellow/orange, not flashing)
Code(s): P202B
Any symptoms or problems before diagnosis: none, ran perfectly. Cleared code once, came back.
Repair Time: Going on 5 days. Should have been over weekend. Dropped car off Friday. Picked up on Tuesday (had to wait for part to come in). Finished same day as part arrival. Drove off lot, stopped at Wawa for coffee. Got back in and light was back on. Called to report issue, and dropped car off (was late in day). Wednesday AM call from dealer saying it was tested and showing the injector/nozzle was clogged causing over heat on element. Getting new one installed Wednesday. Have car back Thursday.
Cost: $1120

aullein

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6Speed Manual
Everyone please open a case with VWOA and have it paid for. They will at least cover the parts. They know these are common issues with our cars by now and will reimburse you somehow. I did it with mine and only paid labor. I keep reading 1000$ plus and makes me cringe. couple hundred bucks at worse should be all.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
If they pay for parts just ask them to ship the replacement parts to your house.

At least with the exhaust flap they finally paid for parts and installation, guess this is there way of helping local dealers by asking you to pay for labor.

paulk124

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
I received recall notice 16V171. Does anyone know if this recall has anything to do with the high adblue heater failure rate? I had my adblue heater replaced a couple of years ago. If the recall is related, I'm wondering if I can get VW to reimburse me for the fix. Here is the recall text:
Improperly assembled wire seals in a connector of an underbody sensor may allow water to corrode electrical terminals. This can lead to an electrical short with the possibility of overheating at the electrical connection, and cause the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) in the vehicle to illuminate. In rare cases, overheating of the electrical connection could result in a fire underneath the vehicle.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
Year: 2013
Mileage: 81,000
Warning Light(s): Check Engine Light (MIL, solid yellow/orange, not flashing)
Code(s): P202B (Innova 1003c scanner showed as P2020)
Any symptoms or problems before diagnosis: none, ran perfectly. Cleared code once, came back. The 1500 mile AdBlue warning did come on the next day.

Waiting for June 21, will likely DIY but will try to get VW to at least pay for parts.

AndyL1

TDI
Audi A3 TDI
Year: 2012
Mileage: 87k
Warning Light(s): Just the Check Engine Light
Any symptoms or problems before diagnosis: High Pressure Fuel Pump Failure.
Repair Time: N/A
Any pertinent info from dealer: $1100 to fix as it's out of any warranty. I live in Souther California so really no need for the heater. But, will need to be fixed before smog check again otherwise it won't pass. Based on the whole dieselgate thing I doubt I'll own this car much longer anyway.

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
If they pay for parts just ask them to ship the replacement parts to your house.

At least with the exhaust flap they finally paid for parts and installation, guess this is there way of helping local dealers by asking you to pay for labor.
You can ask. Very much doubt it will happen.

vintovka

Banned
TDI
NO MORE VW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CEl on at 28k, DEF heater replaced, $1050 with $100 deductible. Came with warning these fail EVERY 3 years or so. IMHO

a) this is engineered moneymaker for VW and others who use DEF systems.
b) EPA should either make VW pay for replacement or be sued directly as its their BS laws that cause the "need" for such idiotic devices. (Am the first of the Professional Registered Environmental Engineers (retired) and tell you flat out these emission devices cause more harm than good.)
C) I want reimbursement for my costs plus expense such as traveling 400 miles round trip and overnight stay plus per diem. (this should be a separate class action suit and asking attorneys right now.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
vintovka: Sorry for your failure. As for your a,b,c comments, will your perspective change in a few days, after you're past the anger phase;)? We're all in this together, you're preaching to the choir here.

At 28k, VWoA should be paying for this. Have you phoned VW Customer Care? When/if you contact them, report back.

Please expand on your "...Came with warning these fail EVERY 3 years or so..." What was the source of this comment?

Last edited:

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
Mileage: 81,000
Code(s): P202B

Waiting for June 21, will likely DIY but will try to get VW to at least pay for parts.
Update: CEL went off yesterday. I'll scan it next week to see what's up, but it looks like I'm not the only one to have it mysteriously clear. MD doesn't inspect emissions on diesels, so I'm in no hurry to do anything even if it does return.

Phillbus

TDI
12 Passat TDI
Did you ever get an answer to this?

Quick question. I was looking at the photos on your photobucket and reading the instructions. THANK YOU BY THE WAY.
I live in FL so I am going the easy way out!
I need clarification... on pix 2307 (first pix), you show the purple and brown in front that goes to backside black and white twisted pair wires that go back to the tank with the heat shrinked resistors (correct, looks like you put one in series with white, one in series with black).
In the write up it says:
[*]From the other side of the plug, cut the wires that are going into the tank (Black & White wires) . Make sure to leave enough slack for the resistor or thermistor.
----Makes sense, Cut the black and white twisted pair.

[*]Solder & heatshrink a 10K ohm resistor or 10k OHM Thermistor to the cut wires. Make sure that the connections are made back to the computer and not to the tank. Leave the wires from the tank cut off and just use some tape or heat shrink to protect them as they will never be used again.

-----this is where I need help, the words and picture I get confused...
So I am trying to understand, the wires that go back to the tank are black and white. Correct?
Then it says to make sure the connections are made back to the computer and not to the tank. But the black and white are to the tank? If I leave them cut off and tape them, I will have a black wire, 10K resistor, open end.... and a white wire, 10K resistor, open end. Thus an open circuit. I am overthinking...
[*]Solder & heatshrink a 10K ohm resistor or 10k OHM Thermistor to the cut wires. Make sure that the connections are made back to the computer and not to the tank. Leave the wires from the tank cut off and just use some tape or heat shrink to protect them as they will never be used again.
I know I am just confused somewhere.
Is this what It should look like:
Purple-PLUG-white------=10K=----white------------TANK
Brown-PLUG-black------=10K=----black-------------TANK

Essentially adding 20K Ohm to the existing loop. BUT, it said to cut off the tank wires and tape them off, so I starting thinking...
OR:
Purple-PLUG-white------=10K=----white------/cut\tie to black xxxx tape----TANK
Brown-PLUG-black------=10K=----black------/cut\tie to white xxxx tape----TANK

Essentially making a 20K Ohm loop back through black/white to purple/brown.
.Thank you again for the write up. I am anticipating my dealer sticking it to me and I just want to hush the light.
I tried wiring in the resistor by cutting off the black and white wires and looping it back to the car but my car keeps throwing the P202B fault after 2 drive cycles. In the photos provided in the original post it looks like there are 2 resistors wired in.

Can anyone clarify this? I've already dropped my DEF tank 2 times to try this fix.

Last edited:

vintovka

Banned
TDI
NO MORE VW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
vintovka:
At 28k, VWoA should be paying for this. Have you phoned VW Customer Care? When/if you contact them, report back.

Please expand on your "...Came with warning these fail EVERY 3 years or so..." What was the source of this comment?
Havn't called VOA yet and will wait another day, and after the attorney calls me back.

VW Service manager clearly said these heaters fail about every 3 years. One would think that if its just the .10 sensor part that fails someone could refurbish failed units and sell them. Had i known this i would have asked for the part back and fixed it to save another $1050. I trust VW so little that i suspect THEY may refurbish them and install them.

We all should be serious about private lawsuits should VW offer go wanting.

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
He is right that the heaters fail after 3 years. He's not correct that they will fail after another 3 years, as the design has been improved.

vintovka

Banned
TDI
NO MORE VW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He is right that the heaters fail after 3 years. He's not correct that they will fail after another 3 years, as the design has been improved.
Nice that WE are the R&D for VW. This issue along with HPFP should be issues that stand alone despite the Fraud VW committed to help get us to buy their defective products.

Yes I am angry and you should be too. I'm pretty sure VW reads these forums.

rollcoal

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
2013 Passat in CT with 41k P202B Code. Funny thing is that I've been thinking about AdBlue since the warning came on 200 miles ago. Perhaps it's related.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat in CT with 41k P202B Code. Funny thing is that I've been thinking about AdBlue since the warning came on 200 miles ago. Perhaps it's related.
You may be onto something. I got P202B just before the AdBlue warning, and it cleared a few days after filling the tank. I wonder if it's a false failure indication when the tank is low.

clendaniel

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
Code popped up yesterday on our '13 w/ 112k...reset it and will ride it out until the 21st. Depending on the outcome will likely DIY.

--Ian

Santa2ya

TDI
None
Earlier this year my heater failed for the 4th time since new.
First was March 2012 with 6500 mile.
Second was about a week later.
Third was Oct. 2013 with 34k miles.
Fourth was Jan. 2016. 56k miles.
The last repair VWoA did not want to cover but did 75% after I informed them adout information on lemon law.
Research showed a new heater/ pump assembly starting with 2014 model year's. Not just a redesign of the old pump. It has a completely different part number. When I played 20 questions with the service department, I was told the New part number was a different manufacturer.
I agree that if this DEF, heater & pump is an EPA requirement that has been designed to disable the vehicle after a certain time limit with no fluid based on emission standards, the parts should be covered under the emissions warranty.
Maybe a class action would change things. I do know this might be the last VW product I buy based on the lies and deceit VW has created.

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
The Federal 8/80 emissions warranty specifically only covers the catalyst, ECU, and OBD device. It was created a long time ago before all the other stuff cama along.

Law183

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Use of the Touareg Adblue heater for 2013 Passat

I have read a number of post relating to the use of a Touareg Adblue heater to fix the issue with the Passat. The reason of course is that the unit for the Touareg is 1/2 the cost with the only difference being the length of some of the wiring which would need to be extended.

This inquiry is for those of you who have used the Touareg heater instead of the Passat....Did it work? Any issues? What was the result?

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
Well my P202B fault that cleared itself has come back... so still waiting for VW's plan next week to decide what to do.

Glacier Blue

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI DSG
Mileage: 122000
Warning Light(s) MIL
Code(s): --
Any symptoms or problems before diagnosis: none before or since
Repair Time: 4 hours - parts not in stock
Any pertinent info from dealer: $1090
I ain't doing anything until I hear about the settlement!