Unknown issues with my 2010 Jetta CJAA, not diagnosed yet.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Airplanes are simple. The tolerances they are built to are so precise as to be over the top, but what keeps them in the air is simplicity.

BTW, chatting with Burt Rutan before he was famous was a hoot!

Bill

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
...hmmm...let's take a look at this...

1) Certified VW mechanic, experienced working on VW diesels (how many years? )

2) Guy who deals "with Airplanes, BIG ones far more complext [sic] than a VW, and I know all kinds a "stuff", with a wall full of degrees and experience to prove it."

Airplane guy doubts certified VW Mechanic's expertise and experience. VW Mechanic makes no challenges to the airplane guy's experience (why should he...why would the VW mechanic challenge an airplane guy about airplanes, especially BIG ones?)

ding...ding...ding...we have a winner for THIS argument!!!!!

"Who you gonna call..." for the facts re: VW serpentine belts?

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Trolls, have nothing but personal attacks and can't stay on topic or make logical arguments, you fail.....Fact timing belt cover is wide open because the serpentine belt pulley is bolted directly to the timing belt cog pulley... Because of this fact it makes the timing belt vulnerable to a serpentine belt failure. There is no statistically significant data, but that does not mean it is not a risk... Automakers hide serious issues all the time, where no one had all the data, but it was a serious problem. To state no data no problem is nieve or ignorant. Have a nice day. Feel free to troll.....I'm out...bye bye.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Cya... I hope my accessory belt doesn't spontaneously explode on my way home tonight, LMAO.... :rolleyes: :D

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
gmcjetpilot: What would you like to see done about the problem? How about engineering a cost-effective solution?

My solution: Inspect the serpentine belt regularly. Done.

Last edited:

thecause17

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red TDi DSG
Trolls, have nothing but personal attacks and can't stay on topic or make logical arguments, you fail.....Fact timing belt cover is wide open because the serpentine belt pulley is bolted directly to the timing belt cog pulley... Because of this fact it makes the timing belt vulnerable to a serpentine belt failure. There is no statistically significant data, but that does not mean it is not a risk... Automakers hide serious issues all the time, where no one had all the data, but it was a serious problem. To state no data no problem is nieve or ignorant. Have a nice day. Feel free to troll.....I'm out...bye bye.
You're kidding right? You're tires are prone to blowing out and causing a ton of damage to the rest of your car too if you let them wear to the point of failure...

Bottom line, there's risk with just about everything. The design is what it is, and there are NO issues with it if you take about as much time as you have writing these rants of yours as you would take to check the belt. Check the belt, if it starts to look worn, replace it. Do that and the only risk you have of a failure is a manufacturer defect and that's about as good as it gets. If you fail to perform proper checks on your car on at least some basis you have no one to blame but yourself for a failure.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Clarification ... included in that number is the $200 I paid to the dealership for their diagnostic, $140 for the tow from the the dealership to the 3rd shop (I used my last AAA tow getting from the 1st shop to the dealership), and $750 in auto rental fees I paid (5 weeks). That's not part of the auto repair fees but that's why I called it the Grand Total cost.
I can't seem to find the mileage for your car, having scanned the thread twice.

How many miles on your car when the failure occurred?

Fla_Panther

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Cya... I hope my accessory belt doesn't spontaneously explode on my way home tonight, LMAO.... :rolleyes: :D
I'm really happy that you can be sarcastic and laugh about other peoples' misfortunes. Every penny I'd saved all year - and then some - is gone. You want to laugh about it at least have the decency to make your own thread to laugh at the misfortunes of others.

Here's what annoys me. Yeah, it's really easy for everyone here to blame the owner. Even though I have some understanding and skills when it comes to taking care of cars at the moment I'm living in a place where I don't have the tools or space to do much to a car myself, so I take my car to get serviced regularly - just like plenty of people who don't have the skills or knowledge. At that point I, like those people, are trusting that the mechanic has done what they should. What happens when the mechanic doesn't? Do you think the mechanic is going to admit to that? No. So now you're going to blame the owner for - essentially - not doing all their own work. Yes, for something like a serpentine belt you could argue I could've lifted the hood and checked the tension, and maybe I could have, but there's a lot more that goes on under a hood and and at some point you have to draw the line or else you ARE doing all the work yourself. Did I draw that line in the wrong place? Maybe.

But maybe ... even if you ARE doing all the work yourself there's no guarantee that some freak or fluke can't happen. Maybe someone gets a belt that's got a factory defect. It may not happen often, but it can. And it would be really nice - you might even say professional - for a company to design their product so that if one $25 part fails it doesn't destroy the entire freaking car. But hey, not like I haven't learned about other things that could go wrong with this car that would total it, right?

I've seen people post in here arguing that it's not poor design because it doesn't happen often. That's a Straw Man fallacy, attacking an argument different from (and weaker than) the actual point being made. The quality of the design and the frequency of failures are two completely separate variables. When you say, "It's not a poor design because it doesn't happen often" you're saying, "Well ... 10,000,000 x 0 = 0 ... so no problem, right?"

It IS a poor design ... even if it doesn't happen often.

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
I may have missed it in the off-topic dialogue but did you get your car repaired to your satisfaction? What was the problem with the turbocharger? What was the final expense?

I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Fla_Panther

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Aside from the head the turbo actuator, intake manifold, and part of the exhaust had to be replaced. Total repair bill from that shop alone was just under $6k. When tow truck, diagnostic at the dealership, and 6 weeks of rental car are added in it came to just over $7k.

There may or may not be a residual issue, which I posted separately here:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=429553

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
You're kidding right? You're tires are prone to blowing out and causing a
ton of damage to the rest of your car too if you let them wear to the point
of failure...

Bottom line, there's risk with just about everything. The design is what it
is, and there are NO issues with it if you take about as much time as you
have writing these rants of yours as you would take to check the belt.
Check the belt, if it starts to look worn, replace it. Do that and the only
risk you have of a failure is a manufacturer defect and that's about as
good as it gets. If you fail to perform proper checks on your car on at
least some basis you have no one to blame but yourself for a failure.
WHAT IS YOUR POINT?
Contrarian? Fatalism? Petulant? Pedantic? No point? All of the above.
Are you kidding... All cars have tires, but not all cars have timing belt
covers that are WIDE OPEN and offer no protection to the timing belt
pulley and timing belt... in which a serpintine belt failure can take out
the cam shafts timing belt and possibly cause internal engine damage.
That is the case with the CJAA engine. No argument, that is a fact.

As far as your lecture about belt maintenance, yawn... stuff happens.
There was no reason to think it would go considering it was just checked
and had low miles. You can blame the owner for poor timing belt design.
If you Serp belt or HPFP fails.... I'll be the first to blame you.

Even if the Serpentine belt fails it should not take out the engine, AND IT CAN AND HAS HAPPENED SEVERAL TIMES.
What don't you understand? Nothing you said is logical exceot the obvious increase serpentine belt inspections/maintenance.

Last edited:

williamgd2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
Yup I had all my parts and tools for the timing belt

waiting for 120,000 miles but a inspection of the serpentine belt at 112,000 had me do the timing belt right away.