Underbelly Skid Plate for Passat

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
Just tossing a feeler out here for all Passat TDI owners to read and provide input.

I am contemplating contacting some fabricators in my hometown to see if they can produce a high quality metal underbelly (engine) skid plate and at a reasonable cost.

I was going to have them use the OEM as a template.
We have the Diesel Geek on our 2005 Passat TDI and I found it to be over priced and I did not think it was all that much better than stock.

Since nobody offers a high quality and reasonably priced metal or aluminum underbelly engine cover; I thought I would start looking around to see if someone could make me a few---we only need two.

Any interest? Any comments?

Thanks
Deming

LightningTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 United Grey Passat TDI Wagon with Grey Leather; '05 Golf, 5-speed automatic TDI; '04 Beetle 5M TDI; '02 Beetle auto TDI
Deming, I would be interested in one as well. I do not want the lower ground clearance that DG's results in, and the Aluminum ones are not made for the B5.5s yet...let me know.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks like I had better meet with my fabricator here in the Quad Cities and try to get something going. Do you think most TDI enthusiasts want metal or aluminum.
Metal is probably cheaper, but I will look at all the options when I meet with him.

I personally want a heavy guage aluminum with a cut out for the oil drain plug.

What do you guys think a fair price should be? He will have to custom make these and the first few will be pricey.
If we can get this done for the same $$ or less than the Diesel Geek underbelly pan, then I will be pretty happy.

I am assuming a cut out in order to reach the drain plug will be neccessary and helpful. Any other thoughts?

Thanks
Deming

LightningTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 United Grey Passat TDI Wagon with Grey Leather; '05 Golf, 5-speed automatic TDI; '04 Beetle 5M TDI; '02 Beetle auto TDI
Just watch how much ground clearance it takes away...would there be anything wrong with matching the original in terms of shape? That way, there would be no decrease in the clearance...I am cool with the drain plug space.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
I think it would be a swell idea as long as the proper NACA ducts are still implemented. I'd be ears for one in that regard.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
I do not think the NACA ducts would be a possibility in aluminum or steel. It is extremely difficult to mold the ducts with steel or aluminum and quite easy when you are molding plastic and fiberglass. Only the big suppliers and manufacturers have that kind of multi million dollar stamping equipment.

The best we could probably do is to cut a couple of vents where the NACA ducts are located. How important are the air ducts and why are they injection molded into the original plastic OEM underbelly skid cover?

There is a Pro and Con to everything!

Thanks

LightningTDI

Veteran Member
TDI

LightningTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Many Thanks...

leobg

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 2004 black
Metal skid plate would be stonger, but how about the noise insulation? I think the car will sound louder if using metal skid plate

donniemac

Veteran Member
TDI
None at the moment
I'd be curious to see as well. It's my understanding that the NACA ducts are pretty critical to cooling on this engine. Can someone with more knowledge chime in, or can we link to some discussion of same?

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds good. I plan to have a fabricator start working on this for me in the next month or two. I will keep everyone updated as this progresses.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Also, even though this item is pretty much out of site and hand, make sure it is a product that appears factory as much as possible. So lets say its going to be made out of aluminum of a good guage, have it black anodized. With this process it will be harder and look much better. If its steel, have it painted or galvanized properly. A quality product will always sell over a cheap product (up to a point of course).

Alchemy

Veteran Member
TDI
None thanks to dieselgate
If going with a steel plate, use stainless. SUre, the material will cost twice as much, but that is the minor constituent to the cost. Labor being the major contributor.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
I am not trying to make a business out of this or a profit but rather protect my under engine components from harm (road debris). My hope is to get a good product made for myself (two Passat TDI's) and then you guys can contact the fabricator and buy one for your Passats.

Thanks for all the input and advice. Keep it coming.

Deming