Under hood sound blanket/insulation falling.

badsnakeii

TDI
2006 Jetta Gunmetal Blue 5spd
Its a stupid problem... So with all this cam inspecting going on my hood insulation has decided to start falling down. ...really... who had the bright idea of tabs retaining the edges of the blanket only.
Are there any good fixes other than duckt tape?

Thanks

dieselpony

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL 6 speed manual Moonrock Silver
I have the same issue - 3-4 tabs back by the windshield. Haven't found a solution yet.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I have recently used some self adhesive cable tie mounts.
Similar to these that I bought at a local hardware store.
I mounted these to the underside of the hood right where the tongue tabs are now.
Then I cut plastic tabs (strongbacks) wide enough to fit in the tongue tab slots and about 4" long.
Then cut two slots in the hood liner so that a cable tie can go through the two slots, through the self adhesive cable tie mount and then around the plastic strongbacks.

If you use dark cable ties and dark plastic strongbacks they are not too noticeable.

I have no idea if the adhesive will stand up to the job. I should know by the end of the summer...if the car comes back to me or the owner stays in touch. ( I expect he will he is a local serviceman.

If you sandwich two strong backs with the hoodliner between, with longer tongues going into the slots, they will probably work without any adhesive mounts.

This is really a farmboy fix, but that is what I am. Sorry no pictures.

There is one guy that comes by that ran splits of bamboo from slot to slot across the hood. It is very noticeable - he might have 3 splits in each slot going to three other slots, but it works.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
On the CR engine would not be a good idea to remove it.It does hot under the hood during regen.I had mine replace under warranty.

Adrenolize

TDI
2013 Jetta MkVI TDI Premium
The CR engine (2009+) has tab fasteners all around the edge. The 2006 has some in the center of the hood, and then tab cut outs (part of the blanket) that go into respective holes on the edges of the hood.

I would suggest not removing the blanket on a CR engine. The 2006 is no big deal. I even removed my engine cover because the insulation deteriorates and gets all over the engine.

Sella Turcica

Veteran Member
TDI
none anymore
In our 05.5 a squirrel decided to make a nest in the engine bay, and in the process it shredded up the hood liner into small pieces suitable for creating a nest. I pulled it out afterward, and frankly I don't notice a bit of noise difference. It seems like a pointless component. Moral of the story, just remove it.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I'd leave the pad in place, it protects the hood's paint from engine heat.

You could always glue it on like Mercedes does.

-J

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
I DONT suggest getting rid of it. My neighbor runs his car (an ADS car, that idels a whole lot in the winter months) his hood is yellowed.

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I DONT suggest getting rid of it. My neighbor runs his car (an ADS car, that idels a whole lot in the winter months) his hood is yellowed.

What is a ADS car?:confused: Could it be automatic diesel start.

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
Took mine in to the dealer and got it replaced. I was even 500 over 36,000 and they still did it for free. Its made of a more rigid piece of material. I have seen on the VW supply sites that it retails for about 130....not too bad.

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
Oh and the new one has a fancy metallic heat shield built into the liner!!! Now with more heat protection!

SethB

TDI
2009 Jetta
Black office clips seem like they will work

I'm testing office paper clips to see if they will hold the blanket in place. When mine dropped, it smelled like it was burning.

I'd post a photo, but it seems like the only way to post is from a url.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
you can select photo from the bar close to the top of this page (under your user name)

and then log in again. you should be able to add photos, then link to them in posts.

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Wife's 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (2009 - 2017)
I decided to get a new one instead the various remedies.
Bought it online from Minuteman VW, via ebay I think
$103 vs $144 at local dealer.
The new pad comes with the fastener clips, btw.

I was at the local VW dealer, standing outside talking to another owner when, low and behold, someone drove up, opened their hood to show a tech something and sure enough, their hood insulation was falling down also.

Unfortunately, I'm past the warranty period.

It's a shame VWOA does nothing for something like this. They realize there is an issue with a designed part, update that part with a different design and part number. You would think they could offer the updated part at cost, atleast. I think I read the new insulator is slightly larger than the original one. My 2007 Highlander hood insulator is still pristine, nothing wrong.

Last edited:

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Wife's 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (2009 - 2017)
new pad

Installed the new pad.
It is alot more rigid than the original pad.
I just used pliers to squeeze and wiggle out the 9 fastener clips,
The old pad is so flimsy, I could roll or fold the pad up .

The new pad from Minuteman VW came in a full size cardboard box. The pad comes with the 9 fastenr clips pre installed. Just inserted the perimeter tabs first and then sqeezed the 9 fasteners while pushing into the hood.
The new pad is so much more rigid. You would not be able to roll this one.
I hope it lasts. It looks very nice when done.

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels
Wood Shims, buy a pack 1.5 " by 8" from your builder supply store. Cut some in half and place them in the slots to compress the weak tabs in place. Works good/last a long time!

j1mbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Reflex Silver JSW TDI - 17" Anthracite Goals and 2014 Reflex Silver Golf TDI
I just had mine replaced under warranty and they new one certainly seems a better design and has a reflective metallic pad on it.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Could you post a pic of the new part with the "reflective metallic pad"?

I think my car had this one from the factory, however, this seems to start falling now - I see evidence of it rubbing to the battery top cover.

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi

PassionateTDI

TDI
Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI
Hi all, am a new member just joined. Having the same irritating issue of bonnet mat falling off on the windshield side. Looking for solution.

PassionateTDI

TDI
Volkswagen Vento 1.6 TDI
Atlast, i tied mine with "Snap Lock Pin Loop Plastic Tag Fastener Hook Ties". And its just 5 mins job, and cleanly held the sagging bonnet mat in place.