Under Hood Insulation Mat = New Style Worked Great for Yrs, Now Back Middle Is Hanging Down

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
The BEST thing I ever bought was a new under hood mat. The original made of gosh knows what, horse hair or something, was drooping.

The NEW one was awesome for many many years. Now the back middle is hanging down and will not stay in the hood slots.

WHAT TO DO?

(I want to keep it for noise and heat, convince me otherwise why no mat is goodness, besides no droop.}

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
MK6 Golf Under-hood Insulation Question

In a previous thread at the link above, @BarnyardsTDI suggested that you can slip zip ties under the gap in the sheet metal under the hood to secure the insulation. You'll see it right away when you look under the hood. For the three tabs I wanted to fix, I positioned my 2 holes in the insulation to match the two sides of the sheet metal where each tie is looped to the hood.

Last edited:

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
This is a picture provided by @DrGERTol. It shows under the hood where you can slide the zip ties between the gaps in the metal under the hood.

Last edited:

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Came out great 👍 thanks. I use the hole punch to put holes in the insulation. I also made a little aluminum strips about 1" wide by 2", little contact glue to provide more support and longevity. Finality no more droop. Cheers

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Came out great 👍 thanks. I use the hole punch to put holes in the insulation. I also made a little aluminum strips about 1" wide by 2", little contact glue to provide more support and longevity. Finality no more droop. Cheers
Sounds great! I thought about using additional support for the zip ties in the insulation, but so far the small holes I drilled in the insulation look the same as when the zip ties were installed. I still might give it a try to add support if needed one of these days. I was thinking maybe guitar picks would be cute pieces of plastic I could drill to match the holes in the insulation, but I'm sure there are many other options, e.g., aluminum strips or any number of waste plastic pieces.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Ksing; Thank you for posting your solution. I think I am going to do this to mine as preventive maintenance to take the load of the original tabs.

DrGERTol

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Variant (JSW) 6MT
Yeah, that's out Salsa Red front lid above from a year+ ago -- zip tie solution is holding up well. --g

SkiBumJH

TDI
2009 JSW, sold back 11/17, 2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Out of boredom and irritation from the hanging insulation mat, I did this zip tie fix and am stoked.

Easy, fast and 100% mo betta. Thanks