Unable to open hood latch

03wgn5spd

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 TDI Wagon 5spd 2002 TDI Sedan Auto
Just like that I cannot open the hood latch.

I have been struggling for about an hour now.

Looks like the sliver part at the bottom jumped out of the fork so it tops out before the top can get moving. I removed the 2 t30 screws holding the latch to no avail.

Any ideas? Sawzall? ☹

Thanks.

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
not sure what the silver part is. a picture would help. If you do destroy something with a sawzall it is best to destroy the holding latch part and not the hood. Then it can be replaced way easier. I probably have a couple around. I had a cable break and was able to put my hand up in front of the engine and grab on the the cable with a hook and pulled on the cable real hard.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
If your talking about the silver cable end inside the car in the footwell, use a pair of Vice grips over the end and pull it straight back. The hood will release like normal. If you have a small pair of Vice grips you can leave them attached to the cable end until you get a chance to fix it.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
You distorted the latch or pushed it out of line, you’ll need to fix the distortion or line the latch back up, or find a used latch at the junkyard.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
A properly working hood latch is a pretty important safety feature. If you distorted this one I'd buy a new one, not trust that one you get out of a wrecked car is OK. Don't want that hood popping open on the highway. That could be catastrophic.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I don't think we sell it. It's not a common failure item, and usually if someone needs one it's after an accident and a body shop or insurance is purchasing it.

The one on Rock Auto looks a little suspect to me. OE goes by the 1J0 823 509 E number and is about $100.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Tons of cars in the junkyards have zero collision damage. You can also test it out in the junk car before pulling it. I think hood latches are designed to fail towards "not opening", not "flying open".
Oddly enough, I had this happen.

Known faulty hoodlatch still acted normal but clearly had bent parts and pieces to it. Well, 55mph one morning and WAM! she opened.
There is a convenient gap where your windshield wipers rest; plenty of sight out of that area.... lol
I replaced the hood(junkyard), new windshield and bought a brand new OEM latch from the dealer. Totaled that car a year or so later.

reince

TDI
2006 Beetle
A properly working hood latch is a pretty important safety feature. If you distorted this one I'd buy a new one, not trust that one you get out of a wrecked car is OK. Don't want that hood popping open on the highway. That could be catastrophic.
Definitely, a better route to get a new one.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
That has happened to me before on other vehicles.
Haha yup, my ‘81 rabbit did that to me on the first test drive after I got it going, the hood had been fastened down with wood screws when I bought it and I’d forgotten reinstall them before I took it for a spin. Luckily I was just on an old dirt road, with no oncoming traffic like that ^^ LOL

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, '96 B4V,'99 2 door Golf
Just like that I cannot open the hood latch.

I have been struggling for about an hour now.

Looks like the sliver part at the bottom jumped out of the fork so it tops out before the top can get moving. I removed the 2 t30 screws holding the latch to no avail.

Any ideas? Sawzall? ☹

Thanks.
This happened to me, and my hood latch was ruined, when I slammed the hood on it, (unknown to me, in that moment) in the closed position. I bought one on E Bay for less than $20, and haven't had a problem, since...

mod

TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Wagon
When I popped the hood release lever in the footwell yesterday on my 2003 (ALH? Mk4?) Jetta the hood jumped up like it always does but when I went out front and pulled the tab the hood remained trapped in the latch mechanism. I was very unhappy as this behavior indicates that the problem was not the cable but the latch mechanism itself, and everything I've read makes it sound like a gigantic P.I.T.A. to get it fixed so I am pleased to report [SOLUTION!] that this morning I visited Keith and crew at KMH Motors and he revealed that the secret (at least in my case) was simply to lube the mechanism since it was jammed with rust and dirt. Once lubed, the mechanism (poor design?) operated normally, so maybe try this approach before anything more complicated. Keith rocks!

irvingj

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI (PD/BEW)
Me, too -- a few drops of oil every so often. My hood release still works well.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Mine recently bound up where pulling the release at the grill did not allow me to open the hood.

Got it open with some tools and sprayed it all down with fluid film. Worked it into the pivots, and now it moves freely.

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
Fluid film is better than oil or grease I found. I put it everywhere and it not only lubes hinges and latches good but it prevent rust.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
If your talking about the silver cable end inside the car in the footwell, use a pair of Vice grips over the end and pull it straight back. The hood will release like normal. If you have a small pair of Vice grips you can leave them attached to the cable end until you get a chance to fix it.
Had a couple Hondas that as they got very old, had to do the same trick!